×

There’s still time to run for Ohio board

DEAR EDITOR:

There is still time to run.

Don’t make me run.

At my age, don’t make me run for a bipartisan office.

I am younger than Biden and Trump, Pelosi, McConnell, and even DeWine. All of them, but our governor, are too old and should just stop running and dividing us with their foolishness. Schumer is just five months younger than I am. Have I convinced you yet?

What is the bipartisan office which I mention?

It is our region’s member of the State of Ohio Board of Education; currently known as “District 7,” it too has been mired in politics along with the state’s legislative districts. As I write, it might be “District 10.” So much for perfectly bipartisan, huh?

For the past few years, it was the possession of a member appointed by Gov. Kasich, Sarah Fowler Arthur, from 2013 until 2021. In Ohio, there are 11 elected members of the board and eight appointed by the governor. Fowler Arthur ran for the board twice and was never opposed. She did not complete her final term, however. Nope, she had a ‘higher calling’ and was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives. What a commitment to education. (Sorry, readers, that was sarcasm.) Gov. DeWine appointed Akron Insurance agent Tim Miller to complete the term. Whether Miller is running, opposed or unopposed, is not known.

The deadline to run is August 10, so there is still time for a candidate to file. Could it be you?

Sarah’s claim to fame for seven years of her eight-year run was that she was the only home-schooled student to ever serve on a state board of education. That and the fact that she was an entrepreneur at age 11 (she owned “Sarah’s Eggs” on her parents’ farm) made her eminently electable. This is vice-presidential material for sure. Remember that other infamous Sarah, the intellectual giant from Alaska? (Sarcasm again.)

So, if you are interested in representing our region, and you are a proponent of education for all Ohioans, not just the less than 1 percent home-schooled, but the other, over 99 percent schooled in classrooms of public and private schools, I will support you and vote for you.

Again, don’t make me run.

RICK WILLIAMS

Hubbard

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today