×

Indoor venues try to cope with state mandates

Area theaters struggle with state directives

Expected state directives won’t do much to bring live entertainment back to indoor venues in the Mahoning Valley.

Gov. Mike DeWine did not issue health orders regarding performing arts venues on Friday as expected, but sector-specific guidelines for performing arts theaters were released late Friday.

Under those guidelines, indoor venues are limited to 15 percent capacity or a maximum of 300 people, whichever is smaller. Outdoor venues are limited to 15 percent capacity or a maximum of 1,500 people.

That means a show at the Covelli Centre, Powers Auditorium, Stambaugh Auditorium or Packard Music Hall would be limited to 300 people. The maximum for an event at the Robins Theatre in Warren would be 218 people.

“It doesn’t work economically,” said Sunrise Entertainment President Ken Haidaris, who books shows for the Robins. “We could maybe do a couple small local bands just to do something, but at 218 it does not work. It’s a non-starter. All they’re doing is taking pressure off the governor — yeah, you can do stuff, but …”

Eric Ryan, president of JAC LIVE and JAC Management Group, said, “I appreciate the governor and the administration for at least paying attention to the arts and culture. We basically had no guidance at all for five months, so it’s nice to have something … (But) at such a limited capacity, it doesn’t make economic sense to do indoor events, especially at the level we do them.”

In addition to operating the Covelli Centre and Packard Music Hall, JAC also runs the Youngstown Foundation Amphitheatre. Its capacity would be about 900 people under the restrictions.

“We’ll pull something together, some shows just to get some revenue coming in,” Ryan said.

However, getting these guidelines in late August limits the viable window for an outdoor event in northeast Ohio.

Ken Bigley, vice president of JAC Live / JAC Management, said, “If we were talking May, June, early July, there’s definitely some things we could have put together.”

Jim Bugos, general manager at Packard Music Hall, said events, such as dance competitions, could have happened under the new guidelines that the hall was forced to cancel during the shutdown.

“We could have put together a schedule (to make it work), but we couldn’t do more than 10 people,” Bugos said. “That would have been good not only for Packard Music Hall and JAC, but the community as a whole. Those dance schools would have been staying in hotels, eating at restaurants. All those economic impact things benefit more than just Packard Music Hall.”

Thomas Groth, executive director of the W.D. Packard Band, doesn’t envision that band being able to use its home anytime soon.

“I honestly can’t figure out how we can comply with the governor and maintain safety for the musicians and the audience,” Groth said. “Everyone wants to get out and play, but it has to be safe.”

Smaller arts organizations also are weighing their options.

Youngstown Playhouse is larger than most community theaters, seating about 600 people in its main auditorium, but that would be slashed to 90 people maximum under these guidelines.

John Cox, president of the Playhouse board, said it would be impossible economically to do big musicals like “The Color Purple” or “The Producers,” both planned for 2021, for an audience that small, but the board may consider doing fundraisers or a musical revue that normally would have been staged in the more intimate Moyer Room space.

“The elephant in the room is how many people are going to come?” Cox asked. “How many people will feel safe?”

Joe Asente, founder of the Millennial Theatre Company, said, “I don’t see it as practical in any way. I don’t see it working for any local theater.”

MTC is focusing its attention on an online production of the musical “Songs for a New World,” which should debut in October.

Trumbull New Theatre had auditions last week for a planned production of the thriller “Wait Until Dark.” However, under the new guidelines, less than 25 people would be able to sit in the audience at the Niles theater.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” said Ron Sinesio, who is directing the play. “I totally understand the reason (for the restrictions), but I’m laughing because the governor has been so pro sports but the theaters can’t do anything. What could be less social distancing than football?”

Sinesio and Haidaris said there have been some early conversations about TNT using the Robins Theatre. The 218 limit at the Robins is larger than the 150 to 160 people TNT seats for a full house, but there are other considerations. The fee theaters pay to do a play is calculated based on the size of the theater. Would TNT have to pay based on the Robins’ regular capacity, the reduced capacity of the state directive or a smaller number if TNT decided not to use the balcony?

“We have a lot to think about,” Sinesio said. “These are strange times.”

agray@tribtoday.com

Starting at $3.23/week.

Subscribe Today