Breaking News

Canfield police blotter

Canfield Police activity reported July 28-Aug. 11: Aug. 11 — Ja’Tavion Powell, 31, 3331 Lodwick Drive NW, Warren, self-surrendered on a Canfield warrant for sexual imposition regarding a July 21 report of a sexual assault at 7055 Herbert Road. Aug. 9 — Carmen Razo, 27, 351 Lincoln Ave., Youngstown, was arrested during a traffic stop on East Main Street on charges of OVI and open container, and was cited for a marked lanes violation. Aug. 8 — Heather Shiftlett, 36, 917 Franklin Ave., Youngstown, was arrested at 20 S. Broad Street on a Youngstown Municipal Court warrant for ...

Additional suspects sought in Virginia State shootings

ETTRICK, Va. (AP) — Authorities were seeking additional people who fired weapons during a shooting at Virginia State University that left five people wounded, police said Sunday, as a 19-year-old suspect remained in custody and investigators sought to unravel what happened. Investigators were trying to determine what led to Saturday’s shooting and if the others who fired did so in self-defense or if they were among the aggressors, said Lt. James Lamb, commander of the Chesterfield County Police Department’s Major Crimes Unit. He did not say how many others fired weapons. “We ...

7 die in Indiana floods

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (AP) — Days of storms and flooding in Indiana left at least seven people dead as floodwaters receded in Indianapolis’ White River and rains eased in other parts of the state Sunday. Frank Gounder was among the Indianapolis residents assessing the damage Sunday, which ...

US commander visits long-deployed ship

The top U.S. military commander in the Middle East praised the leadership of the long-deployed USS Lincoln after visiting the sailors on the vessel during a regional tour that ended on Saturday, the U.S. Central Command said. Elsewhere, U.S. negotiator Jared Kushner had a rare meeting with ...

Nation and world at a glance for August 17

Colombian president asks Trump to suspend tariffs BOGOTÁ, Colombia — Colombia’s President Abelardo de la Espriella has asked U.S. President Donald Trump to suspend tariffs to help Colombia recover from a devastating earthquake. The 7.4 magnitude quake struck Monday, killing at least 289 people and injuring nearly 4,000. De la Espriella, who took office earlier this month, emphasized his connections with Trump, thanking him for $26.5 million in U.S. aid. The quake destroyed thousands of homes, including in western cities like Pereira and Cali. The government declared it a ...