(The Vindicator will print area Health Notes each Tuesday. Events should be open to the public and hosted by a nonprofit organization. To submit Health Notes, email to email@example.com or mail to 240 Franklin St. SE, Warren 44483)
AUXILIARY CHRISTMAS: The Auxiliary of St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital / St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital will meet at 1 p.m. Monday in the St. Columba Cathedral social hall for its Christmas party.
OSTOMY SUPPORT SALEM: The Ostomy Support Group, hosted by Salem Regional Medical Center, will meet 6 to 7 p.m. Monday in SRMC’s Private Dining Room, located at the back of the cafeteria on the hospital’s ground floor.
Area residents who have an ostomy, as well as those who are preparing for ostomy placement, are invited to attend.
The Ostomy Support Group is led by SRMC’s certified wound, ostomy and continence nurse, and offers education, encouragement and emotional support for people with any type of ostomy, including those with permanent or temporary urostomies, ileostomies and colostomies. Meetings also address some of the common concerns faced by people with ostomies, such as skin care, pouching, activity and nutrition.
Family members and caregivers are welcome to attend. Pre-registration for the meetings is requested. To register for the December meeting, or for a complete list of upcoming meeting dates, call Tashia Watkins, RN, BSN, CWOCN, at 330-332-7607.
OSTOMY SUPPORT BOARDMAN: The Youngstown area ostomy support group will meet 6 to 7 p.m. Dec. 10 at St. Elizabeth Boardman, 8401 Market St., Boardman.
This is a nonprofit, self-help support group, and family and friends are welcome to attend.
For more information, contact Anna Fitzgerald at 330-480-3440 or email Anna-Fitzgerald @mercy.com.
PFLAG TO MEET: Youngstown Area PFLAG will have its monthly support meeting 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Dec. 10 at St. John’s Episcopal Church, 323 Wick Ave., Youngstown.
Youngstown Area PFLAG (Parents, Families, Friends, and Allies) is a support, education and advocacy group united with LGBT people to move equality forward. Meetings are free and confidential. Directions and a map can be found at the chapter website, www.youngstownpflag.org.
DOCTOR TO SPEAK: Dr. Olaoluwa Fayanju, senior medical director at Oak Street Health, will share tips on preventing pneumonia and shingles at noon Dec. 13 at Jewish Community Center of Youngstown, 505 Gypsy Lane. He will also discuss the signs and symptoms of these illnesses, as well as the most common treatments.
This event is free, but registration is required. Visit jccyoungstown.org or contact the Registration Office at 330-746-3250, Ext. 195, to register. A light lunch will be served.
ANAD TO MEET: The National Association for Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, and other Eating Disorders (ANAD), will meet at 9 a.m. on Dec. 14 in the founder’s room at Notre Dame Church, 2325 Highland Road, Hermitage, Pa.
For moreinformation, contact Renee at 724-981-5435 or anad.org.
EXERCISE AVAILABLE: Mercy Health’s Community Health Education offers free exercise classes at various locations in the Mahoning and Trumbull county areas six days per week.
For locations and schedule, call 330-720-3293.
YELLOW BRICK SCHEDULE: Yellow Brick Place, 2959 Canfield Road, Suites 3 and 10, Youngstown, supports and educates cancer patients and those closest to them by providing individual and group services in the tri-county area.
For information, call YBP from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday or Thursday at 234-228-9550.
DIVORCE SUPPORT: St. Joseph Church, Austintown, will host a DivorceCare support group 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays for 12 weeks in the blue room at the former St. Joseph School building.
For more information, contact Jim Merhaut at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.stjosephaustintown.org/divorcecare/.
OHIO LIVING SENIOR CENTER: Ohio Living, Home Health and Hospice Senior center, 110 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
For information, call 330-744-5071 or go to ohioliving.org.
NAR-ANON PROGRAM: Nar-Anon, a 12-step program for relatives and friends who have been adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs, meets every Sunday at 7 p.m. at the Sahara Club (upstairs), 2345 Youngstown Road SE, Warren.
For information, call Bill at 330-856-3822.
CAREGIVER SUPPORT: The Alzheimer’s Association Greater East Ohio Area Chapter makes Alzheimer’s caregiver support groups available free to all caregivers, family members and friends with a loved one affected by the disease or another form of dementia.
∫ Fourth Thursday at 1:30 p.m., Canfield United Methodist Church, 27 S. Broad St., Canfield.
∫ Third Monday at 2 p.m., Antonine Sisters Adult Day Center, 2675 N. Lipkey Road, North Jackson.
Groups meet monthly. For more information or to confirm, contact the Alzheimer’s Association 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.
GRIEF RECOVERY GROUPS: Grief Recovery instructional support groups meet 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home Care Center, next to the funeral home, 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Groups are led by Philip Roland and are open to those who have suffered the loss of a loved one.
For information, contact Bill or Candee at the funeral home, 330-534-1952.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road.
NAMI SUPPORT GROUPS: NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support and education to those dealing with serious mental illness.
Support groups are:
• Evening Connections — 6 p.m., second and fourth Thursday each month, AltaCare Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown;
• Daytime Connections — 2:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
Family support groups include:
• Daytime Family Support Group — 11 a.m., first Thursday each month, Girard Free Library, 105 Prospect St., Girard;
• Evening Family Support Group — 7 p.m., second Tuesday each month, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
ADDICTION THERAPY AVAILABLE: PsyCare Inc., 2980 Belmont Ave., Liberty, has created a clinical therapy program to treat individuals suffering with substance abuse and drug addiction issues. Family members are also welcome.
Assessments can be scheduled by calling 330-759-2310.
STEPPING OUT DAILY: Stepping Out, provided through a grant from the Mercy Health Foundation, offers daily activities and programs throughout the Mahoning Valley.
The November programs are as follows:
• Cardio strength, noon to 1 p.m., (HRNM) Heart Reach Neighborhood Ministries, 211 Redondo, Youngstown, 330-744-2000;
• Beginner line dancing, 4 to 6 p.m., (ANC) McGuffey Centre, 1649 Jacobs Road. Youngstown, 330-744-4377;
• Youngstown Fitness Walk, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., (GMCCC) Greater Mill Creek Community Center, 496 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown, 330-743-0020;
• Zumba, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown;
• Physical fitness, 5 to 6 p.m., (GCVC) Grace Community Vision Center, 2214 Mahoning Ave., Youngstown, 330-707-4714;
• Majestic Monday (line dancing), 6 to 8 p.m., ANC, Youngstown;
• TATC (Toned Arms, Tight Core), 6:30 to 7 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown;
• Strong30, 7 to 7:30 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown.
• Chair aerobics, 1 to 2 p.m., ANC, Youngstown;
• Zumba, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., (HRNM);
• Line dancing, 5:45 to 7 p.m., Taft, Youngstown;
• Strong45, 7:15 to 8:15 p.m., (EBFC) E.B. Family Life Center, 7 S. Garland Ave., Youngstown, 330-746-7190.
• Zumba, 5:30 to 6:30 a.m., (IMY) Inspiring Minds Youngstown, 2246 Glenwood Ave, Youngstown, 234-254-8124;
• Walk Easy Wednesday (Line Dancing), 3:30 to 5:30 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown;
• Physical fitness, 5 to 6 p.m., GCVC, Youngstown;
• Dance fusion, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., (COC) City of Campbell, (Roosevelt Park) Sycamore Drive, Campbell, 330-755-1451;
• Strong30, 5:30 to 6 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown;
• Booty ‘n’ Biceps, 6 to 6:30 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown;
• Core Tabata, 6:30 to 7 p.m., GMCCC, Youngstown.
• Chair aerobics, 11 a.m. to noon, (EARC) Eugenia Atkinson Recreation Center, 903 Otis St., Youngstown, 330-747-3299;
• Triple Step Thursday (line dancing), 5:30 to 7 p.m., HRNM, Youngstown;
• Zumba Power Hour, 5:45 to 6:45 p.m., Taft, Youngstown;
• Dance fusion, 6 to 7 p.m., EARC, Youngstown;
• Line dancing, 6 to 8 p.m., EBFC, Youngstown.
• Zumba, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., (OCCHA) OCCHA, 3660 Shirley Road, Youngstown, 330-781-1808;
• TATC, 6:30 to 7:15 p.m., OCCHA, Youngstown.
• Zumba, 7 to 8 a.m., EBFC, Youngstown.
For information or scheduling with the nutritional educator or personal trainer, call Doris Bullock, project coordinator at 330-720-3293 or 330-480-8659, or email her at email@example.com.