PERI MEMBERS MEET: Public Employee Retirees (P.E.R.I.), Chapter 18, will meet Oct. 1 at the Avion Banquet Center. Cost is $10 and reservations are due by Tuesday by calling Ceil Kidd at 330-533-2149, Helen Verdream at 330-629-8227 or Mary Grace Welsh at 330-743-8425.
The guest speaker from The Emergency Planning Associates will present active shooter and safety information. There will be a raffle and absentee ballot applications available for the upcoming election. Information from OPERS regards to health / pension benefits changes and reports from the State office of PERI will be discussed.
The Mahoning County Health Board will offer flu shots prior to the meeting from 11 a.m. through noon. Your insurance card is required.
SENIOR WATCH OPEN HOUSE: Liberty Township Mary Rush Senior Watch Program, established in 2008, is inviting any Liberty Township resident 60 and older to an open house / breakfast 10 a.m. Oct. 2. Various agencies have been invited to provide information for the elderly. Safety forces and staff will also be on hand.
Some of the services offered by the program include wellness checks, daily phone calls, installation of lock boxes (use by township safety forces providing entry into your home in case of an emergency), carbon monoxide / smoke detectors and address markers.
For more information about the Mary Rush Liberty Township Senior Watch Program, contact police secretary Marcy Orlando at 330-759-1315, Ext. 1018, or fire secretary Joy Schuyler at 330-759-0363, Ext. 2002.
AUSTINTOWN SENIOR CENTER, 112 Westchester Drive, Austintown; 330-953-1416; austintownseniorcenter.org. Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays.
• Today — 9 a.m. video, “U.S. and the Middle East”; 9 a.m., Bible study; 9 a.m., senior spinning (E); 9:45 a.m., senior strength with chairs; 10 a.m., bingo; 10:30 a.m., fencing; 1 p.m., Out to Lunch Bunch at Sawa (Southern Park Mall);
• Monday — 9 a.m. video, “Age of Ben Franklin”; 9 a.m., Bible study; 9 a.m., total body fitness; 9:30 a.m., Sew N Crafts; 10 a.m., senior spinning (I); 10 a.m., bingo; 10 a.m., painting class; 11 a.m., ballet barre; 11:30 a.m., chair volleyball; noon, lunch; noon, Bridge Group;
• Tuesday — 9 a.m. video: “Tour of Washington, D.C.”; 9:30 a.m., S.O.S.; 10 a.m., bingo; 10:30 a.m., line dance; 11 a.m., Walking Club; 11:30 a.m., chair yoga; noon, ballroom dancing; 12:30 p.m., lunch; 1 p.m., mahjong;
• Wednesday — 9 a.m. video, “Secret Societies”; 9 a.m. Bible study; 9 a.m., blood pressure check sponsored by The Woodlands; 10 a.m., bingo; 10 a.m., Drum Your Way Fit; 10:30 a.m., quilting; 10:30 a.m., resistance band flexibility training; noon, beginner’s ukulele; noon, pizza party; noon, dominoes; 12:30 p.m., ukulele class; 12:30 p.m., afternoon movie;
• Thursday — 8:50 a.m. video, “History of the Agency (CIA)”; 9 a.m., Vets Helping Vets; 9 a.m. , wood carving; 9 a.m., music; 9:30 a.m., S.O.S.; 10 a.m., Walking Club; 10:30 a.m., chair yoga; 11 a.m., chair volleyball; 11:45 a.m., weekly announcements; noon, lunch / grocery bingo sponsored by Briarfield At Ashley Circle;
• Friday — 9 a.m. video, “U.S. and the Middle East”; 9 a.m., Bible study; 9 a.m., senior spinning (E); 9:45 a.m., senior strength with chairs; 10 a.m., bingo; 10:30 a.m., fencing.
OHIO LIVING HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE SENIOR CENTER, 1110 Fifth Ave., Youngstown, has daily programs and classes. Call the center at 330-744-5071.
EASTERSEALS MEALS: Easterseals offers hot, nutritious meals weekdays in Mahoning County for people 60 and older and their spouses (regardless of age).
Reservations are required by calling three days in advance at 330-884-2513. Transportation is available by calling 330-884-2511. The program office is at 299 Edwards St., Youngstown.
McDONALD COMMUNITY ROOM: 500 Ohio Ave. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays. For information, call director Millie Ritz at 330-288-0015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. There is a coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m. Meals are offered Monday through Friday through the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs.
• Movies in the parlor, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays;
• Walking the block, 10 a.m. Tuesdays;
• Parkinson’s support group meets 1:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month;
• Stretch exercises, 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;
• Fall Food Drive Kickoff, with all proceeds to the Emmanuel Community Care Center. Nonprishable food items will be collected during the months of September and October;
• Coping with Grief and the Holidays, 9:30 a.m. Tuesday. Kim Calhoun, licensed social worker, bereavement facilitator from Hospice of the Valley, will talk about dealing with grief as the holidays are approaching;
• Fall Harvest Crockpot potluck luncheon, noon Wednesday. Bring a Crockpot favorite to share and get your name entered in a drawing for a chance to win the door prize. Those planning to attend should call the center;
• For Fall Prevention Week, stretching class will be held at 9:30 a.m. Friday in the coffee bar room;
• The Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program will present an informational Medicare Check-Up Day (presentation only) at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 2 at the center. The program will include learning about recent changes to Medicare; getting tips on how to enroll for 2020 coverage in a Medicare prescription drug plan (Part D) and / or a Medicare health plan.
Medicare Open Enrollment begins Oct. 15 and ends Dec. 7. Call the center for an appointment. during the open enrollment period with the center’s licensed social worker, Christine Bridgens, and for details on what items you need to bring with you. Or call to set up an appointment with one of the OSHIIP volunteers who will be at the center Nov. 19 by appointment only to also assist people who are already on Medicare.
People new to Medicare can call OSHIIP at 800-686-1578 to get their questions answered.