Clergy on the move
Priests, deacons get new assignments in Youngstown Diocese
YOUNGSTOWN — Bishop David J. Bonnar of the Diocese of Youngstown has announced various clergy assignments for parishes throughout the six-county diocese. Most of the new assignments will take effect July 1, with some taking effect in May.
Consistent with many current assignments throughout the diocese, the new assignments reflect the Diocese of Youngstown’s regional model for ministry, with priests, deacons and diocesan pastoral associates serving multiple parishes.
“Through the hard work of our personnel board, who I consult with on assignments, we continue to navigate the shortage of priests while desiring to support parishes as they live missionary discipleship in new ways. Just as importantly, this approach allows for a more vibrant experience of parish life as we share our strengths across parishes,” Bonnar said.
One of the features of the diocese’s regional approach to ministry and personnel assignments is the grouping of parishes who share not only priests as pastors, parochial vicars or sacramental ministers, but also deacons and, where applicable, diocesan pastoral associates assigned to the same grouping of parishes. A diocesan pastoral associate is a lay person or deacon assigned by the bishop to the leadership team for one or more parishes. The consistent assignment of clergy and diocesan pastoral associates allows for mutual support.
Below are the new priest assignments:
• Rev. Steve Agostino, from administrator of St. Brendan Parish and sacramental minister at St. Christine Parish, Youngstown, to pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish and St. Stephen Parish in Niles.
• Rev. Michael D. Balash, from pastor of St. William Parish, Champion, to full-time ministry at the Central Office, remaining as Vicar for Clergy and Director of the Office of Worship, effective May 15 and remaining pro-tem administrator of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Niles until July 1.
• Rev. Matthew Humerickhouse, from parochial vicar of St. Charles Borromeo Parish and St. Luke Parish in Boardman and chaplain at Cardinal Mooney High School, to pastor of three parishes in Stark County and chaplain of St. Thomas Aquinas High School, Louisville.
• Rev. Stephen Zeigler, from pastor of St. Paul the Apostle Parish, New Middletown and sacramental minister at Our Lady of the Rosary Parish, Lowellville, to parochial vicar at St. Charles Borromeo Parish and St. Luke Parish in Boardman.
• Rev. John Jerek, as pastor of St. Brendan Parish, Youngstown, in addition to his current responsibilities as pastor of St. Christine Parish and Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in Youngstown and director of formation for the Permanent Diaconate.
• Rev. Robert Lanterman, returning from leave of absence to archives clerk with residence at the Oblates Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Hubbard, effective April 17.
• Very Rev. Monsignor Robert Siffrin, from vicar general to Diocesan vicar of External Affairs/Special Projects and pastor of Holy Apostles Parish, Youngstown, in addition to current responsibilities as rector of St. Columba Cathedral and pastor of St. Edward Parish, Youngstown. He will be assisted by Rev. Edward Brienz as vice rector of St. Columba and parochial vicar of St. Edward and Holy Apostles Parish in Youngstown, in addition to Brienz’s current responsibility as diocesan director of Missions and Propagation of the Faith.
• Rev. Brian Smith, from Director of Hispanic Ministry and Coordinator of Continuing Education to graduate studies in moral theology at the Angelicum University, Rome, effective Sept. 1.
• Rev. Matthew Zwilling, from vice rector of St. Columba Cathedral and parochial vicar of St. Edward Parish, Youngstown, to administrator of St. Paul the Apostle Parish, New Middletown, in addition to his current responsibilities as administrator of Christ the Good Shepherd Parish, Campbell, and online studies in church management at Villanova University.
• Rev. Michael Marcelli, returning from service as chaplain in the U.S. Navy to sacramental minister pro-tem at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Niles, (April 10-July 1, 2023), and then as parochial vicar at two Kent parishes.
• Rev. Richard Murphy, from pastor of St. Stephen Parish, Niles, to pastor of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, McDonald, in addition to his current responsibilities as pastor of St. Mary Parish, Mineral Ridge, and president of Ursuline High School.
New deacon assignments include:
• Sylvester Frazzini III and Michael Puhalla, to Holy Apostles Parish, Youngstown, in addition to their current responsibilities at St. Columba and St. Edward Parish, Youngstown.
• Michael Hanshaw, to St. Stephen Parish, Niles, in addition to his current responsibilities at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, Niles.