Accused shooter on Belmont deemed competent for trial

Staff photo / Guy Vogrin Kevin Mallard, 56, sits in the jury box awaiting his hearing Thursday before Judge Ronald J. Rice in Trumbull County Common Pleas Court.

WARREN — The Youngstown man charged in a June 10, 2022, rush-hour shootout with police at a busy Liberty Township intersection has been ruled competent to stand trial.

Kevin Mallard, 56, of Manhattan Avenue, appeared Thursday before Trumbull County Common Pleas Judge Ronald J. Rice.

Mallard faces charges of attempted aggravated murder; attempted murder and inducing panic with firearm specifications; improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle; carrying concealed weapons; and three additional counts of attempted murder with firearm specifications.

Rice said he received the report of Mallard’s condition from a Columbus area psychologist, who deemed the defendant competent to stand trial.

This is the second psychological examination measuring Mallard’s competency, ordered by the court after defense attorney Eugene Fehr made a motion of not guilty by reason of insanity on his client’s behalf.

Fehr made an appointment with Dr. Robert Stinson of Columbus, who performed the latest exam on Mallard for $325 per hour.

Rice set the jury trial for his courtroom Feb. 27, with Mallard’s final pretrial hearing set for 1:30 p.m. Feb. 21.

Mallard, who is recovering from gunshot wounds to his lower extremities, remains in Trumbull County jail. He is being held without bond.

The June shootout occurred at 3 p.m. at the intersection of Belmont Avenue and East Liberty Street.

An Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations report determined Mallard exchanged gunfire with Liberty police after he was accused of shooting Zach Woods, 20, whose vehicle was stopped at a red light in front of Mallard’s car at the intersection.

Police attempted to stop Mallard’s vehicle. He fired on officers, reports state. Police returned fire and wounded Mallard.

He is accused by police of shooting Woods at arm’s length in the temple with a Glock .40-caliber handgun as Woods sat behind the wheel of a Mercedes-Benz. Woods suffered major facial and eye injuries. Witnesses said at the time no evidence of road rage was evident.

The indictment states Mallard walked back to his Humvee after the shooting and drove off. Police officers responding to the shooting, however, stopped the Humvee and a shootout began — with dozens of shots fired along East Liberty Street near the Interstate 80 interchange.

The roads were closed for several hours after the shooting while investigators searched for spent shells.



Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today