YSO sets schedule for 2022-23
YOUNGSTOWN — Marie Osmond and “Ghostbusters” will join the Youngstown Symphony Orchestra for its 2022-23 season. A new music director won’t.
The orchestra announced its upcoming season on Thursday, and the ensemble will continue to use guest conductors as it searches for a music director to replace Randall Craig Fleischer, who died in 2020.
YSO will play five pops concerts at Powers Auditorium and four masterworks performances at Stambaugh Auditorium on the new schedule.
According to Chief Executive and Operating Officer Matt Pagac, “The musicians are the Youngstown Symphony Society’s greatest asset, and we want to provide them with opportunities to exhibit their talent and be an active part of the area’s performing arts community.”
The season will open Sept. 10 at Powers with “YSO Pops Mask-erade,” featuring music from “Star Wars,” “Batman” and “The Phantom of the Opera” as well as Sergei Prokofiev’s “Romeo and Juliet” suite and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s “Don Giovanni” overture.
Making her YSO debut as guest conductor will be Chelsea Gallo, who is staff conductor of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra and assistant conductor for the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra and will be associate conductor of the Florida Orchestra and principal guest conductor of the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra in 2022-23.
Gallo said in a news release announcing the season, “You can expect really excellent polished masterworks, very fun joy-filled film music and a very special modern way of making a hybrid experience of both of these types of music.”
Gallo also will be guest conductor for a masterworks concert on March 10, 2023, featuring the music of Mozart, Johann Strauss II and Gustav Mahler and guest pianist David Allen Wehr.
Other programs in the pops series include: “Ghostbusters in Concert,” a screening of the 1984 comedy with the orchestra performing the Oscar-nominated score by Elmer Bernstein with his son, Peter, conducting on Oct. 8; a symphonic Christmas concert on Dec. 8 starring singer and actor Marie Osmond; “Blockbuster Broadway” on Feb. 16, 2023, with a program featuring songs from “Wicked,” “Phantom of the Opera,” “West Side Story” and other musicals; and “A Night for Jazz” on March 30, 2023, with vocalist Brianna Thomas and guest conductor Dean Buck.
Buck, assistant conductor and chorus master with Cleveland Opera Theater, also will conduct the Nov. 20 masterworks concert with guest vocalist Young Kwang Yoo in a program featuring works by Mahler and Johannes Brahms.
Other concerts in the masterworks series include “Autumn Ablaze” with guest conductor Raffaele Ponti on Sept. 25 and “Classical Exploration” with guest conductor Alberto Bade and trumpet player Brian Neal on Jan. 29, 2023.
Bade is director of orchestral studies at Miami Dade College in Florida and conductor of the MDC Symphony Orchestra. Ponti, music driector of the Punta Gorda (Fla.) Symphony and Paducah (Ky.) Symphony Orchestra, and Raphel, former music director of the Wheeling (W.Va.) Symphony Orchestra, are returning guest directors from last season.
• Sept. 10 — YSO Pops Mask-erade with Chelsea Gallo, guest conductor, at 7:30 p.m.
• Oct. 8 — The movie “Ghostbusters” with YSO performing Elmer Bernstein’s Oscar-nominated score conducted by Peter Bernstein at 2:30 p.m.
• Dec. 8 — “A Symphonic Christmas” with singer / actor Marie Osmond at 7:30 p.m.
• Feb. 16, 2023 — “Blockbuster Broadway” with Andre Raphel, guest conductor, at 7:30 p.m.
• March 30, 2023 — “A Night for Jazz” with Dean Buck, guest conductor, and Brianna Thomas, vocalist, at 7:30
All pops concerts are at Powers Auditorium, 260 W. Federal St., Youngstown. Season tickets for the five concerts range from $225 to $375, which includes free parking at DeYor Performing Arts Center.
• Sept. 25 — “Autumn Ablaze” with Raffaele Ponti, guest conductor, at 2:30 p.m.
• Nov. 20 — “A Journey Serene” with Dean Buck, guest conductor, and Young Kwang Yoo, vocalist, at 2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 29, 2023 — “Classical Exploration” with Alberto Bade, guest conductor, and Brian Neal, trumpet, at 2:30 p.m.
• March 10, 2023 — “Musical Titans: Strauss, Mozart, Mahler” with Chelsea Gallo, guest conductor and David Allen Wehr, piano, at 7:30 p.m.
All masterworks concerts are at the concert hall at Stambaugh Auditorium, 1000 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. Season tickets for the four performances range from $80 to $160.
Season tickets for both series are available online at youngstownsymphony.com/season-tickets/ and by calling 330-259-9651.