Mon. 7:05 a.m.: Man dies after East Side car crash, shooting

YOUNGSTOWN — A man, 18, died after police and fire officials were called at 9:48 p.m. Sunday to the 300 block of South Truesdale Avenue on the East Side for a vehicle crashed into the woods and a man having been shot. The vehicle also caught fire.

The Youngstown police and fire departments were notified by another 18-year-old male at the time of the incident that his friend had been shot in the episode.

When first responders arrived, they saw a vehicle crashed into the woods and a male, 18, had been shot. He was taken to St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, where he died from his injuries, according to a Youngstown police press release.

The 18-year-old who called 911 was not injured, and fire damage to the vehicle was minimal, the release states.

Youngstown police detectives, crime scene investigators and the Mahoning County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene and began to investigate the matter as a homicide. No arrest has been made.

Anyone with information about the killing is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 330-746-CLUE or 330-746-8YPD with any information or tips, which can be left anonymously.

The homicide is the second one of the year in Youngstown. The first homicide was the Jan. 22 shooting death of Allen P. May, 23, on Evergreen Avenue near Erie Street on the South Side.

Jules L. Freeman, 21, of New Philadelphia, turned himself in Wednesday at Youngstown Municipal Court in the case and was arraigned on complicity to murder, a charge that carries a possible prison sentence of 15 years to life in prison if convicted.

A Youngstown police news release stated that after investigating the case throughout the day and evening of Jan. 22, police were able to retrieve evidence and serve a search warrant in New Philadelphia, in cooperation with the New Philadelphia Police Department. Police filed the charge against Freeman last Tuesday.

He was released from the Mahoning County jail Thursday after posting bond of $275,000. He is also on electronically monitored house arrest, according to Youngstown Municipal Court records.

He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in Youngstown Municipal Court at 9 a.m. Feb. 12.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *

Starting at $4.85/week.

Subscribe Today