Legal Aid October programs planned
Community Legal Aid is offering programs in October to anyone who may need legal assistance or who has an interest in legal topics like renter’s rights.
The programs are taught by attorneys and are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted.
Community Legal Aid is a 501(c)3 nonprofit law firm serving the legal needs of low-income individuals in eight counties of central and northeast Ohio, including Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
The following Community Legal Aid events can be found at www.communitylegalaid.org/events. Interested parties should call the Legal Aid Helpline at 800-998-9454.
• Eviction prevention clinic is set for 4 p.m. Tuesdays where participants learn about renter’s rights and options if facing an eviction. A workshop on housing conditions and renters’ rights is offered the second and fourth Thursday of the month at 4 p.m.
• A foreclosure prevention class is offered on the first and third Thursday of the month starting at 5 p.m. The class will teach the foreclosure process and options for homeowners going through foreclosure.
• A presentation on a parent’s rights to visitation is set 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 11. More information is available at www.communitylegalaid.org/parenthood.
• A legal clinic focusing on record sealing and debt-related issues is set 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 11.
l Legal Aid presentations on tax fraud and identity theft are set 11 a.m. Oct. 11 at the Howland Senior Center, 8273 High St.; 11:45 a.m. Oct. 12 at Niles SCOPE Center, 14 E. State St.; and 2:30 p.m. Oct. 13 at Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave.
• An “Ask a Lawyer” live Facebook event is set 5 p.m. Oct. 12 when audience members can ask civil legal questions related to housing, debt, family, law, public benefits and more. Participants can join online at www.facebook.com/CommLegalAid.
• Veterans can speak with an advocate to be screened for free legal help. The Akron and Youngstown clinics are now hosted in-person, but pre-registration is required for all clinics open to veterans in Columbiana, Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
The Carl Nunziato VA Clinic on Belmont Avenue in Youngstown will host the legal advocate 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 19. Call 330-740-9200 Ext. 447700 to pre-register.
• For Trumbull County residents only, a Legal Aid self-help desk is available at the Trumbull County Family Court, 220 Main Ave. SW from 9 a.m. to noon on Tuesdays and 1 to 4 p.m. Thursdays. Parties representing themselves in juvenile court custody cases can speak with an attorney for legal information.
• Legal assistance to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault is available at 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Residents can speak with an attorney about legal rights related to: divorce, custody / visitation, debt / bankruptcy, record sealing, evictions, protection orders, and more. Pre-register by calling 330-983-2573.
• A Legal Aid presentation giving an overview of the Fair Housing Law is set for 10 a.m. Oct. 25 at the Warren Board of Education, 105 High St. NE. Participants can learn about tenants’ rights and responsibilities.