Armstrong set to Avenge Hunger
TAKING ACTION: For the third year, Armstrong will be hosting Avenge Hunger Month through Oct. 31, collecting nonperishable food and monetary donations for Second Harvest Food Bank as part of the ongoing Breaking Bread initiative. September is National Hunger Action Month, and the need for food is increased due to the COVID-19 pandemic. People can make donations at Sparkle Markets and Giant Eagle supermarkets in Canfield and Poland, the Davis Center YMCA and the community booth at the Eastwood Mall. Drive-thru donations will be accepted 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Boardman Park and Sept. 25 at Chili’s restaurant in front of Southern Park Mall in Boardman.
Armstrong also is hosting an Avenge Hunger virtual 5K walk. Participants can run, walk, treadmill or bike to any location they choose. To register, visit
ArmstrongOneWire.com/Breaking Bread and click on sign up today. Deadline is Sept. 23, with all participants to receive a medal for taking part.
COMPASSIONATE CREATIVITY: The Paul and Yetta Gluck School of Visual Arts at the Jewish Community Center of Youngstown will offer “Compassionate Creativity” 5:30 to 6:45 p.m. Friday at the JCC, 505 Gypsy Lane.
Participants will create artwork for a first responder in their life or community to express gratitude for caregivers on the front line. Families are invited to an open-studio format with access to diverse materials. This event is free and open to all families. Visit
jccyoungstown.org to register.
• Tuesday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Tuesday Night Surrender — 7:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Youngstown Area Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays — 6:30 p.m., St. John Episcopal Church, 323 Wick St., Youngstown. 330-747-2696 or email Pflagy@gay.com.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Girard Liberty Rotary Club — 6 p.m. at Amen Corner in Girard. Andy at 330-716-4523.
Anyone with items for Seeing Eye should call 330-841-1738; email Society@tribtoday.com; mail or drop off information at the Tribune Chronicle.