Giant pumpkins to be on display
PUMPKIN WEIGH-OFF: The Ohio Valley Giant Pumpkin Growers will hold its 25th annual giant pumpkin weigh-off 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Parks Garden Center in Canfield.
Those growers wishing to enter any of the categories need to have their entries at the center by 9 a.m. Saturday. Categories include giant pumpkin, watermelon, tomato and Halloween-type pumpkin. Also included are widest sunflower head and longest gourd. Heaviest giant pumpkin will be awarded the $5,000 first-place prize.
Exhibits will remain on display until 4 p.m.
There is no admission charge, and a lunch stand will be available. For information, call 330-533-7278.
SOCIETY TO MEET: The Boardman Historical Society will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Boardman Library. The speaker will be Dr. Regina Rees, retired Youngstown State University professor and professional storyteller, who will speak on “Tales of Youngstown.”
UKRAINIAN FESTIVAL: A Ukrainian Festival, sponsored by St. Anne Ukrainian Catholic Church, will be held from noon to 6 p.m. Sunday at the church, 4310 Kirk Road, Austintown. Featured will be music by The Zaps Orchestra, a basket auction and raffles, authentic Ukrainian food, beer and other refreshments, instant tickets and children’s activities.
Admission is $3, which will be refunded for carryout orders of pierogies.
GIRL POWERED: The Mahoning County Career and Technical Center and Valley STEM + ME2 Academy is one of the hundred Girl Powered workshops that will take place around the world during October, coinciding with the United Nations International Day of the Girl.
The Girl Powered workshops are meant to engage and inform young women about STEM, connect young women with mentors, highlight examples of how women are changing the world and provide tools for success.
The workshop, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, will feature hands-on activities, robotics demonstrations and STEM guest speakers.
To register, visit mahoningctc. com or call the school at 330-729-4000.
• Evening Connections support group — 6 to 7 p.m., Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-727-9268 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Wellness Wednesday program — 6:30 p.m., Quaker room at Salem Public Library, 821 E. State St. 330-332-0042.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.