Suspect in arsons taken to jail
Nabbed at WRTA station downtown; his police report notes 18 intentionally set fires
YOUNGSTOWN — A man, 59, was taken to the Mahoning County jail Wednesday afternoon after he admitted to committing several arsons.
Youngstown Fire Investigator Charles Hodge had been investigating the man for “numerous recent arsons” and located him “hanging out” near the Western Reserve Transit Authority bus station at 340 W. Federal St. downtown Wednesday afternoon, according to a Youngstown police report.
Hodge called for assistance from Youngstown police officers at 4:28 p.m., and Adult Parole Authority officers were arresting the man when one Youngstown officer arrived at the bus station, the report states.
The man had a parole authority violation related to an arson conviction, the report states. The man was booked into the county jail on 14 counts of aggravated arson and four counts of arson, according to the police report and Mahoning County jail records.
An attempt to find out more information about the 18 alleged arson offenses mentioned in the police report from the Youngstown Fire Department Friday was not successful.
A Youngstown police officer who responded to Hodge’s request for assistance spoke with Hodge, who said he is investigating numerous area arsons and the man “is the suspect.” Hodge said he was on his way home when he spotted the suspect near the bus station building.
After being arrested, the suspect was taken to the Youngstown Police Department, where he was interviewed by Hodge and police detective Jerry Fulmer and admitted to some arsons, the report states.
Youngstown Municipal Court records on Friday morning did not contain any court listings for the suspect.
It is not known whether prosecutors will ultimately file all of the charges against the man that Hodge alleges the man committed.
According to Ohio prison records, the man was scheduled for release from prison in July after serving a nine-year prison sentence for two counts of aggravated arson in Cuyahoga County.
He had been imprisoned in the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville before being released.
Prison records state that the man is a “violator at large” of his Adult Parole Authority supervision.
The man was convicted of setting a fire on Guthrie Avenue in Cleveland on Aug. 3, 2016, according to Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court records .
Those records also confirm that the man was sentenced to nine years in prison in 2017 on arson related offenses.

