Poland

$949900

« Your Newspaper

A staffer makes a leap

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Published February 9, 2013

Untitled document

A few weeks back, I talked with someone about YSU and the pending presidential search process. Trustee Scott Schulick's name came up, and the person said:

Scott is the classic YSU kid: working class Youngstown family, good student, good citizen.

Newspaper careers can develop similarly:

Hometown kid likes the profession ... goes to college .. interns at hometown paper ... graduates and goes to work at hometown paper.

That was true for Poland HS grad Ashley Luthern. She first joined us in the summer of 2008, and stayed with us in various ways on and off till graduation from Ohio University (home of newsroom legend Matt Arnold).

She launched her professional career here after graduation. Back in the day, that might have been the final stop for her, as many folks made a great career rising through the ranks of their hometown paper. Many staffers today are of that tradition and serve you news every day.

But media has changed so much for today's graduates. It's a different career arc, and Ashley will leave us this week for a great gig at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Maybe we'll see her back here some day. Maybe in my job. It's been fun watching a hometown person grow in the field, and it will still be fun to watch from afar.

Comments

11970mach1(1005 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

If this paper has no relevance, why are you on the paper's website posting comments?

2kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Everybody loves to "bash" Youngstown, it's the favorite occupation of Youngstowner's past and present- including your's truly- until I realized the error of my ways.

What I realized is that wherever you live- Paris, Madrid, London, Hawaii, wherever- it either sucks, or it's the greatest place on Earth, or both, at different times depending on how we feel.

What makes the difference? Our own attitude, I think. I realized that a few years ago on a flight to Florida- my first- to visit family. I sat next to a man from Erie, Pa. who had relocated to Florida and was returning, and, of course, I enthused about the wonders of Florida (never having seen it) and said: "Oh, you must have been be so happy to get out of Pa.(this was in Winter) and live in Florida!"

And do you know what he said to me? "Nah, I hate it down there. I wish I could go back to Erie. I really miss it!"

Later, after I spent more time in Florida, I met ex-Youngstowner's who felt the same way about this town- they missed it- the same town they probably grew up complaining about.

3kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

For: Ygstbornraised
Re:"...bigger market newspaper that still(!!) has some relevance."

I don't understand that kind of remark except that whenever I hear the word "relevance" used my BS Detector doesn't just beep, it screams.

What does the word "relevance (used by itself)" mean? Nothing really, unless there's a context- relevant to what?

It's just another way of "bashing" Youngstown by making it, and it's newspaper, seem inferior to some other (unspecified) place.

I suppose, the Milwaukee newspaper is less "relevant" than the New York Times and there's probably reporters and readers right now in New Castle or Sandy Lake saying their paper is less "relevant" than the Youngstown Vindicator. What a bunch of BS!

4kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

There is one way that I envy Ms. Luthern's move to Milwaukee. I'm a beer drinker and I read (never having been there) that the big breweries have free tastings almost nightly. Wow! Now that"s relevant. That means I could drink all the beer I wanted- free.

5kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

For: Ygstbornraised
Re: "you're probably not intelligent enough to realize that." - responding to another post.

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! If you disagree with someone- fine- do so, and argue your case, but what you said is just, well, I already said it...

6kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

For: bellybutton

Well, you're correct obviously. I overlooked the obvious- wouldn't be the first time and, I'm sure, won't be the last. Well said.

I read some of her stories- she does good work- and I also wish her well.

7kurtw(846 comments)posted 1 year, 6 months ago

Well, I understand. I stick to printed newspapers because I just like them- enjoy the tactile sensation, I guess. But, I know the whole thing- print journalism is doomed in the not to long run.

If the Milwaukee paper is tops in Wisconsin, which newspaper- the Plain Dealer, maybe, occupies- that position in Ohio? Even the New York Times is in trouble- saw a documentary on that recently. Part of problem is that most people- in the Obama Economy- haven't time for newspapers- too busy struggling to make ends meet.

So, ironically, newspapers, which started out as a mass, democratic vehicle, may end up being just for the marginalized- wealthy people who don't have to work, the retired, or people who've given up the struggle.