Poland

$899900

Poland

Residential
5 bedroom, 6 bath
$395000

« Your Newspaper

Austintown Township workers get $160 bonus for perfect attendance?

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Published October 17, 2011

Untitled document

The Columbus Dispatch has two exhaustive stories that are must-reads if you're trying to separate fact from fiction in the Issue 2/SB5 debate.

In a two-story package online today, they point out some of the contracted perks of government workers around the state:

• Columbus firefighters are among many public employees who get a day off for their birthday. They also get Election Day off and a half-day for the primary election.

• Bexley teachers have a clause in their contract about room temperature. They can ask to switch to a different classroom if it gets uncomfortable.

• Road department workers in Austintown Township get a $160 bonus for perfect attendance.

• State employees didn’t get a raise last year but received an average $2,960 each in “longevity pay.” That benefit is earned after five years of service, calculated as a percentage of salary, maxing out at 20 years of service. In 2010, the longevity payout for 38,748 employees cost taxpayers $114 million, according to the Ohio Department of Administrative Services.

• School bus drivers aren’t well paid for the 4 to 5 hours a day they work, 180 days a year. But most districts offer them family health-care benefits. That can cost the district $16,000 a year and add $20 an hour to the cost for each employee paid by the district, contract negotiations expert Gary Johnson said.

Read the Dispatch's two stories here:

-- Public jobs come with perks not found in private world

-- Public, private compensation in same ballpark

Comments

1author50(1121 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Just the tip of the iceberg!

2UnionForever(1470 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Define perfect attendance. To me it's not lates and no sick days taken period. I'm sure it includes any paid sick days taken so everybody is perfect always and this is just another way to soak the taxpayer.

3captdinger(108 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Before I retired, my bonus for not missing work was, I still had a job to retire from.

4JerryP(19 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Here Todd, let me help you will a little something known as being objective, a day's lesson in journalism school your apparent absence you continue to display...

Seeing as you felt it necessary to only include selections from the anti-public employee story in your article I will copy and paste for you the summation of the article which finds that public employee compensation does not, in fact, exceed that of private employee compensation:

"While it’s not possible to make exact comparisons, it appears in general that there is little difference in the overall compensation of public and private employees, according to recent federal statistics.

When total compensation is considered — salary, leave pay (sick, holiday, vacation, personal), insurance and disability, retirement and savings and legally required benefits — public employees’ compensation costs employers $40.40 an hour, compared with $40.68 at private companies with at least 500 employees (the comparable category for the state work force). Those statistics for June were reported in September by the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S. Department of Labor."

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Taxing you to the limit one more time is the goal . Here is how it works . You get less so that they can get more . Since your wages aren't going up you are paying more and more of your less and less . The answer is in controlling costs to keep taxes low .

SB5 we can live with it .

6palbubba(664 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It's amazing that JerryP uses a comparison that ONLY includes companies with 500 or more employees. He doesn't tell us what percentage of total employees this represents. I'm guessing JerryP is a public employee.

7SAVEOURCOUNTRY(470 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

by paying someone for perfect attendance, how much does the township save? Lets show the math and why government OFFERS such things for perfect attendance. Lets say an employee makes $25 dollars an hour. If the report off sick and there is a snowstorm, someone else must be called in or stay over to cover earning OVERTIME pay at 1.5 the hourly rate. After just 16 hours over time, the agency has saved money by paying everyone 160 dollars not to report off sick. Why? 16 hours of overtime is an extra 12.5 for 16 hours which is 200 dollars.
Companies in the private sector should start to do the same, It would same them millions over the course of a year. Makes sense to me and to our elected officials that offer such things.

8Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Vote for Stan the man!!!! He has the best ideas of how to get rid of the low life over paid workers .VOTE FOR STAN OUR MAN
He just keeps comeing up with super ideas and comments to help get us out of this mess. Stan for for sheriff

9fd6636(255 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Ok teachers perfect atendence $160.00 Big fricken deal!! You wanna play public vs. private? ok. Teacher makes perfect attendence pay. By teacher not calling off, saves school district in having to pay subs to teach. Subs most likely cost more than $160.00 per year. Now. lets talk benefits. how bout severence. Teacher retires after 30 somthing years, gets severence and pension. CEO of major company runs company into ground, gets fired, and gets MILLIONS TO GO AWAY!!!! And you out there are not pissed bout that!!! Now hold on: were comparing private vs. public right? don't give me tax dollars. MY tax dollars, as well as yours bailed these companies out, only for them to spend our "bailout " monies on BONUSES and trips on OUR backs!!! So, dont "bitch" bout small bonus for some teacher who has been there for 30 plus years, who taught YOUR kids, and was there for YOUR kids when some of you weren"t!!! Shame on some of you! VOTE NO ON 2!! ( and why your at it, thank a teacher who had to be a parent to some of your kids when some of you were too busy to be)

10AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

FD, Very well stated....

If you can read this, THANK A TEACHER

Thank a teacher by Voting NO on issue 2.

BYE BYE sb5

11AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Jessie,

See join a union and you can have a suitable living. You will not be rich but you can survive. On the other hand you can make a low wage and struggle all your life while the business makes big profits off your hard work. Sure you can work private sector, support them, give them taxbreaks, all while you struggle to pay bills and taxes. Or you can run a business and PAY into better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, {you know, business form of unions, to protect the business}

Join the chamber of commerce thugs. Any time I have ever called BBB, no complaint ever on any business out there. hhhmmmmmmm

12AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

It was those road dept workers out at 4:30 clearing the roads so you got to school safely. Sorry, comparing school days to work days is like comparing apples to soup.
I don't care if it is signed by jessie" kmua " david

13meagain(80 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Sorry but attendance bonuses occur in the private sector all the time. And my friends who get them would scoff at getting a measly $160.

14AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Union contracts have saved us over 1 billion over the last three years.

Quit giving billion dollar tax incentives to oil companies will take us a long way in saving taxpayer dollars.

15AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Jessie and freinds aka stan
ref post 19....

Read page 132 where it states that all law makers are EXEMPT from the laws contained within SB5!! Love it!!!!! VOTE NO ISSUE 2, SAVE OHIO AND THE MIDDLE CLASS!!!

Just shows kasuch will not pay his share with the working class in saving money for Ohio

16doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

So would you rather have them stay home with a cold for 2 days and get paid....They still get paid and you get less service...How's that work for you?

And please don't give me the line about they would never do this in the private sector....Oh really, I've worked in the private sector for over 20 yrs and I've never seen a succesful business that didn't give paid sick leave -- and either a bump in pay or at least a small bonus for employees that showed up and did their jobs well....Even over the last few years....I don't know where the heck some you people have worked or are working, but if your employer doesn't give you at least a few paid sick days per year, then blame yourself for being a sucker.. Gimme a break with the constant whining about what everyone else has that you don't have. I used to think people in this town were tough -- some of the people that post here are some of the biggest crybabies I ever seen....Freaking sissies. Your private employer doesn't give you paid sick leave so you decide to let your frustration out on some township clerk b/c she got a pre tax check for 160 bucks -- and she got it for showing up to do her work everyday....C'mon man, that's just pathetic.
And franko is such a patriot for bringing such an injustice to your attention...Yeah, right, he's a regular bob woodward. Talk about a sissy.

17doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow - what a surprise,,,I went through a few more comments and saw jessiedavid posted about 8 times..Of course they were all complaints about everything and everyone....and of course, all of his posts were during normal business hours..you know, the time when most people are out working....This simple fact begs the question...Hey man, do you even have a job??

18doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey Todd, as a professional journalist -- and a human with a brain -- wouldn't you think it would be ethical and - at the very least professional - to include the OTHER findings from the article you quote -- you know the findings which conclude that when considering all pay and benefits, public and private sector employees cost their employers about the same per hour, (public workers approx .20 less per hour...Oh wait, I'm sorry, to be ethical, accurate, and informative would require you to lose the small number of readers that think you're doing them some kind of service with your half truths....I hear Fox News is hiring. send them your CV, they hire hacks on a regular basis...

19AnotherAverageCitizen(1174 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

JD, last post.....

just like you were never going to post again statement... yea right

20VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

This all started when we began paying a reward to our children for bringing home A"s and B's on their report cards.

I recall a company that I worked for first began offering "bonuses" and the union wanted no part of it. Now the union members are the first to complain when the "bonuses" are too low.

For those of you who continue enjoying battering Fox News, please remember, Fox News is America's most watched news channel. I find Fox News entertaining and more fair and balanced than others, such as msnbc. So, if you do not watch Fox News, you are in the minority, but please don't batter the rest of us in America for watching what you do not.

21doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

TO falconeddy, let me tell you something my friend...I've never worked in the public sector and I've never been in a union....The thought has never even crossed my mind. We don't have unions in my profession. Because in my profession we don't need a union in order to make a good living. But I do know several people who are either in some type of union or have been a member of a union in the past. They are good, hard working family people. Just ike most of the people I know who aren't in a union. They too, are good people. As far as the public union folks that I know, I can say a few things -- They do their jobs and they do them well, and they certainy don't make a lot of money. And the fact that they are under attack by the likes of you and jessiedavid is just a shame... I've read your comments with amusement at first, but after awhile I had to speak up. For two reasons. First, you and some of the other chronic posters on this board are, for lack of a better term, ignorant. I don't mean in a rude type of way. I mean that you're just not very intelligent. Since you probably didn't receive any type of higher education, I can't blame you for your personal limitations, but I certainly feel obliged to point them out when you put your ignorance on display. Second, I have to speak up b/c you're misguided and your rage (probably as a result of your own lack of success) is misdirected. Trust me, the problems that this country, state , and county are facing are not the fault of some public worker making 30-50K per yr. The problem is, you don't even have a clue as to what the real problem is. So as long as you continue with your attacks, so will I. I will point out all of your false assertions. And I'll go toe to toe with anyone who wants to....and I'll do it b/c I know that I can. So keep it coming if you're up to it.

22doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

And VindyYak -- I hope you realize that fox news is the most watched b/c the folks who watch it either don't have jobs or are retired....that's why they can sit around and watch the news for several hours each day and evening....You know the people I'm talking about...they're the same ones that can attend the tea party rallies b/c they've been retired for 5 years....So while you see them railing against big gov't and "socialism" just remember that within 30 days of the rally - either before or after - those same folks have either cashed their social security check or gotten some form of payment from Medicare -- OR BOTH....This fact, of course begs the question...exactly why are these people so dead set on getting rid of our current president.

Finally, I'll leave you with a fairly simple question....Why haven't the tea party politicians done anything to create any jobs ?? Just curious.

23paulparks(235 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Why wasn't this article in the paper?

24VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

"doubled" seems to be myoptic. That is what happens when you have a stiff neck, wear blinders and attempt to drive a car.

If you have to ask the question as to why tea party politicians have not created jobs, then you need to look back at who controls our federal government right now and how effective that control is in getting things done. True Leadership means getting people to do things to reach your goal. I do not see this leadership in The White House or in Congress. Bi-partisanship means some compromises must be reached, but neither The White House or Congress is willing.

We all have opinions over what can be done to grow jobs in America, but I have yet to see a non-partisan federal plan to ease the burdeon on our business community to hire people. Certainly, putting teachers and policemen back to work is great, and our roads and bridges need help, but what about the private sector?

I want to see both do well, but our business community has a lack of confidence in our administration's ability to ease their burdeon, thus we have a stagnant job market, stagnant growth and a stagnant economy. I see no clear opportunity at this moment, or in the next year for this stagnation to end, so I see only one solution and that is a wholesale cleaning of all politicians currently in office, especially those in leadership roles.

One of the only weapons citizens have left today is the power of our vote. Based upon what we have seen over the past 2 or 3 years, citizens will be using their power to again clean out the trash and bringing in new leaders. We will continue doing this until someone gets the message and begins to do what is right for ALL of us, not just a select few.

These are hard times right now...very hard times. People are suffering. Many of us have lost our homes, our savings and our hope, yet politicians continue to argue and bicker and nothing gets done. Our private sector businesses and industries are sitting back and waiting for a signal from Washington, but no signal is forthcoming. Absolutely nothing. Just bickering and arguing. It is time to throw out the trash and bring in True Leadership.

25doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

YAK -- I don't disagree with everything you said -- but I certainly disagree with this statement ..."The private sector is the area we must concentrate our efforts to grow, as that sector's growth generates the income to pay the taxes that pays the wages of the teaches, policemen and firemen and builds our roads and bridges. Growth in the private sector will help pay off our debt. This private sector includes union as well as non-union workers. "

In fact, I couldn't disagree more. Over the last ten yrs private sector corporations have earned more profits than they had in the previous fifty yrs. It's fairly common knowledge that the private sector is holding more profits than they know what to do with. They are not investing these profits in expanding their workforce or developing new and better products or services. They've have had the benefit of the bush tax cuts for ten yrs and they haven't created jobs -- instead they've moved their manufacturing overseas - and not b/c of US regs, but b/c they can earn more profits using cheap labor....If you want to balance the budget, then perhaps you should look at the 67& of fortune 500 companies who paid less than 15% in taxes in 2009. Trust me, they don't need any help from you or me. They are stockpiling their cash and laying people off. They don't need any help, they just need to pay their taxes - and if they ship jobs overseas, they need to pay even more, until they bring their jobs back here..Then we can give them a break.

And it seems to me that the public sector doesn't need any extra help either...but what they do need is to not be hung out to dry b/c they earn a decent living, can have health insurance for their families without emptying their bank accounts, and they have a livable retirement wage socked away -- all for providing taxpayers with vital services - that we all use daily....They pay taxes, too...and they buy things -- you know, the kinds of things that are made and sold by the private corporations you want to help out so much.

And one more thing -- the word is myopic, not "myoptic" --

26doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey eddy, if I hurt your feelings, I don't care...If you want to throw it out there on a DAILY basis, then expect some back...Like our father's told us, "no one likes a crybaby.."

Ironically, I actually agree with a few of your platform points, but most of them represent a simplistic view of politics, business, and economics.

With respect to you being a supporter of labor...the only thing I can say is that you aren't. See, if you were being honest about being a supporter of labor, but willing to call them out when they are wrong, you wouldn't be attacking labor so consistently. You're like Limabaugh or Hannity -- no matter what a democrat ''or as they like to call them "liberals" -- no matter what they do, whether it's good for the country, whether it was succesful or not, whether it protected us or not, if a democrat does it, then it's wrong...They, like you, are the worst kind of commentor -- b/c they cloak their vitriole in reasonableness and common sense. When in actuality, the basis for the attack is motivated by nothng more than political agendas...so you can say you support labor, but you don't...And honsetly, I don't care. It doesn't matter to me. I just felt compelled to demonstrate that you not being straight.

And I think Kieth Olberman is a jakass, too. Nothing is black and white...and there is both good and bad, efficient and wasteful, etc, etc, in all of the things that we all do...don't try make it sound as if it's all so simple to figure out - b/c it's not and it never will be. So THINK.

27commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

falcon, IF you are a Democraqt I have to give you credit for your views (#33). You do not sound or think like most Democrats!! It sounds as if you can actually think for yourself, not like most liberals. It's good to hear from some one "on the other side" that makes sense.

28legend33(169 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

I worked in a union and all that it did was make us crappy workers! Any way there not only getting the $160 they will get paid time and half for the unused sick time when they retire!

29doubled(210 comments)posted 2 years, 11 months ago

Eddy -- wow, what an unintelligent post. See, when I post, I try to include some facts to support my position,,,apparently, you don't think facts matter all that much, because you never include any in your posts...Just remember -- and this is something that all of you tea partiers can learn from --- Just because you scream something doesn't necessarily make it true. In fact, most people think you look like fools, and now the polls reflect that opinion. We all know what you're about now, and people don't like it. With a national approval rating of less than 20% you can be assured that you're very close to being over with....And from the looks of your comments on here, it seems pretty clear that you all know it. The death throws of a doomed agenda to protect the 1% and destroy the progress of this country. Let's put it this way, if THomas Jefferson were alive today he would be ashamed that the likes of you were even given a seat at the table of our gov't...You offer no solutions and you propose nothing of subtance...But you guys sure can yell....What a scam you pulled on the voters.. And if Jesus himself were alive he would..well, he wouldn't get to give his opinion, b/c people like you and yours would run him out of town for his beliefs...you know what i mean, beleifs like tolerance, helping your fellow man, fellowship, forgiveness....now He was a real radical -- but not your kind of American though. Man, you people are losers but you make up for it by being hypocrites...All of this will be manifested come Nov '11 and then reinforced with a sledgehammer in 2012. Your GOT Party "leaders" won our state with 49% of the vote...and their arrogance and ignorance let them believe that they were given the power to buy and sell this state's middle class to the highest private bidder (or campaign donor)..Selling off our turnpike, our schools, our prisons....Yeah, he's a real leader and job creator, a real economic genius.. .By the way, how's kasich's job approval rating with Ohioans, what is it now, 25% and still falling...man, you guys have some serious problems. Good luck with that.