Columbiana

$134900

Poland

Residential
4 bedroom, 7 bath
$999900

« Your Newspaper

I rode my bike to work (kinda)

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Published August 12, 2011

Untitled document

Just a quick plug for an event I was part of Thursday and will write about on Sunday.

There's an enthusiastic group of cyclists in the Valley. They got together last year to create maps of safe bike routes in the greater Youngstown area to allow/encourage folks to safely navigate to downtown in the event they wanted to ride their bikes to work.

On Thursday, I did.

Kinda.

Due to the sweat factor and the need to also experience riding home, as soon as we rode into downtown Thursday morning, we immediately rode home “after work.”

It was a long morning, but a rewarding one.

Here’s a photo of me with Frank Krygowski, retired YSU professor who helped generate the maps.

Here’s a map of our route and the data we generated.

In Sunday’s Vindy I’ll have the full, sweaty details — with photos and video.

Comments

1pgurney(246 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Very good! You are braver than I.

2CrestwoodRocks(107 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

I rode a bike for 9 hours. I rode in Portage, Summit and Cuyahoga Counties.

3FrankDavis(35 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully you guys wore your helmets...

4NilesOhio(639 comments)posted 2 years, 8 months ago

Wish there were more East/West bicycle routes. Seems that most of them around here are North/South. Of course, I work almost directly West of where I live, and the roads are too dangerous on a bicycle.

5FrankDavis(35 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I see no "elbow and knee pads" or "strobe warning lights". I always wear my helmet when I ride...I have too much money invested in my education and need the protection for my noggin. Do you know a fall from a bike (about 6 feet or so) can paralyze you and turn you into a vegetable? A "girly" helmet could be the only thing that makes sure you can wipe your own ass after an accident.

6VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

I used to ride my bike all the time without a helmit. I fell plenty of times and even went over the hood of a car once. I don't see what all the fuss is about... What were we talking about?

7NilesOhio(639 comments)posted 2 years, 7 months ago

Vindyak - Ask Dr. Pentz, a former pediatrician in Niles. He went for a ride without a helmet, had a freak accident and was in a coma for months. His practice is now closed.

Yeah, those helmets look really stupid, but I'd rather look stupid than have ER technicians trying to stitch my fragmented skull back together.

And yes, I have some strobe lights. I tend to just have my VERY bright headlight on and a flashing red light on the back when I'm on a public access road.