Poland

Schiavoni's Franko response

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Published February 27, 2010

Untitled document

From Sen. Schiavoni:

Dear Vindicator,

I first want to express that I am not writing to cry or complain about Todd Franko taking a shot at me in this Sunday’s column “Collective Thoughts of a Taxpayer”.  As an elected official I expect to be criticized from time to time and have come to accept that fact; however, I do not enjoy being labeled something that I’m not.

The reason for this letter is to point out that the conclusions Mr. Franko made about me in his column are untrue and unwarranted.  “Hagan, Gains, Schiavoni and the gang can grandstand all they want.  They cannot cash the checks they want to write-and they know it,” Mr. Franko stated.  Number one- I have no gang affiliation.  Number two- I am not a grandstander.  Just to be sure, I looked the word up in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary and found out that “to grandstand” means “to play or act so as to impress onlookers”.  I clearly have not been grandstanding for the past three weeks.  On the contrary, I dedicated my life to learning everything that I could about the history of Ohio’s collective bargaining system because I knew how important this issue was going to be to my constituents.  Every day, my staff and I have made it our number one priority to help concerned citizens understand the pending legislation and explain to them how it will affect their lives.  I have listened very carefully to more than twenty five hours of testimony as the ranking Democrat on the insurance, commerce, and labor committee asking questions of nearly every witness.  I have been invited to multiple events by concerned citizens and interested parties to explain the bill and have done interviews with national media outlets.  In every presentation and interview, I have been 100 percent truthful with my explanations and have spoken from the heart.  I have not been playing, acting or trying to impress onlookers.  So call me what you want, but please do not call me something that I am not.

Sincerely,

Joe Schiavoni

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"Every day, my staff and I have made it our number one priority to help concerned citizens understand the pending legislation and explain to them how it will affect their lives."

Well Joe, many of us are not excited about inflated taxation so others can keep their status quo at our expense . Perhaps at the next election you will understand .

2JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Sure likes to use the word "I"

3commoncitizen(961 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

Mr. Schiavoni, I do not know you, except to see you on TV and other events, but when you "hang" with the "Gang" it sure makes it look like you are part of them.
When you were at the boxing event last week ---you didn't "grandstand" about how you were "fighting" for Ohio citizens?What about the Ohio citizens that do not agree with your "non grandstanding" claims? Don't talk politics at non political events - - didn't pay for the boxing event to hear you!!

4AntiFascist(61 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I applaud Mr. Schiavoni for responsding to Franko.

What Todd and the trolls on vindy.com fail to realize is that this bill won't just affect union, public employees but all businesses in Ohio.

And stan's repeated relation of collective bargaining to taxation is completed bunk. There is NO cost savings associated with this bill.

I ask this: Has Todd Franko read this bill? Studied it? Have any of you on this comments thread read it?

Do you realize that only about 12-13 Republican members of the Senate actually support it in its current form?

Doubt it. You're just anti-worker, anti-government loons.

5JerryP(19 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Franko uses his position as Editor of the Vindy to push out his political opinion - fine, that is the sub-standard state of today's print media. However, Franko fails miserably at maintaining even the barest minimum of journalistic integrity in his "Collective Thoughts" article - if it can even be labeled as such.

Misrepresentation of facts and drawing non-existent connections is a far cry from what one would expect from someone in a position such as Franko's. Last I checked The Youngstown Vindicator was a news publication, not a propaganda piece.

Same as the commenter above I too applaud Senator Schiavoni for taking the time to respond to such a hack piece of "journalism" and clarify his position on the matter at hand.

6SickofJimbo(140 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Shiavoni You are a grandstander. No question about it. You re looking like a little wannabe politician who definitely suffers from "very small man" syndrom