Columbiana

4 bedroom, 7 bath
$999900

« Your Newspaper

New Vindy message board rule starts Friday

By Todd Franko (Contact)

Published March 25, 2009

Not a week goes by when there's not one phone call or comment about "oh that Vindy message board."

It happened this morning, in fact.

We made a change to the message board rules in terms of what you have to do to post.

Already, Webville is abuzz with reaction.

Not surprising -- people hate it and people love it.

Read about it here.

Comments

1TheLostPatrol(748 comments)posted 5 years ago

Bye, Bye, Vindy.com. Hello, Tribune Chronicle (tribtoday.com)

2Tugboat(759 comments)posted 5 years ago

Ben Tre logic

3boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years ago

does this mean I will have to change my account to post comments on stories as well? or just in the discussion groups?

4aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years ago

Good question, boardman. I was wondering the same because I don't even bother with the discussion groups.

And I'm sorry, but I am not divulging any personal information to the Vindicator if they're requiring it in order to post comments on stories, too. There is absolutely no reason why they need a telephone number and an address, even if it isn't displayed to the public.

5Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years ago

No way will I give this site my phone number. Why should I, so they can sell it or call me to try and get me to buy a subscription to their crappy paper?

There is NO NEED WHATSOEVER that a phone number is needed to post here. Nor do they need an address. This is merely catering to those who like to whine about their 'feelings' getting hurt on a message board or in comments to a story.

BTW, I didnt even know there were discussion groups on this site, but if they are anything like the ones on Cleveland.com, Im sure they are chock full of ignorant comments from ignorant people. No registration guidelines will change that.

6tylersclark(182 comments)posted 5 years ago

A sensible step to combat the ridiculousness that goes on in the message boards.

7boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years ago

Mr Clark surely you know. will we have to change our profiles to coment on stories or is it just for the horrid discussion groups?

8MikePrelee(38 comments)posted 5 years ago

This is a good idea. I've been on other boards that required registration and the discussions were better for it.

9bobhogue(102 comments)posted 5 years ago

I think this is a good change. Whether comments are related to stories or on the discussion board (which I abandoned long ago because of the noise , there is no reason to allow people to post things that are potentially libelous without being called to account.

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years ago

What next? Fingerprinting? IP numbers already trace all posters.

11bobhogue(102 comments)posted 5 years ago

It's a free service. Use it with their terms if you want to, or go elsewhere if you don't.

12Morbidcherub(30 comments)posted 5 years ago

Most sites do require regustration, but they DO NOT require an address or phone number. There is a diffrerence between registering and being stupid. The vindy policy falls under the latter.

13JeffLebowski(953 comments)posted 5 years ago

Not that hard to make up a phone number, is it?