Poland

$179900

Canfield

Residential
3 bedroom, 4 bath
$335000

« Stirfry

Will Gov. Kasich, others take pay cuts?

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published March 27, 2011

Untitled document

Republican Gov. John Kasich and the Republican controlled General Assembly want state government agencies, state employees, local governments and school districts to make financial sacrifices for the good of the state of Ohio.

And yet, while they talk the talk, the governor and legislators don’t seem to walk the walk, insofar as making sacrifices themselves.

The following e-mail has been sent journalists that puts the whole issue in perspective:

"Why did the 128Th General Assembly (2009 and 2010) make so many cuts to the public employee benefits, hours, and working conditions, but never cut [their] own benefits or pay?  Please, look at HB 210 and SB 209 introduced by the 128Th General Assembly in 2009 to reduce the General Assembly, Governor and other top state employees pay 5% until the Ohio general domestic product reaches 2% for a certain length of time.  These Bills were introduced in 2009 and were assigned to committees, but never had a vote, not a note taken, or any considerations, the Bills just sat there with no action taken.

"Now in 2011 and with the 129Th General Assembly they (they being both the House and the Senate) have introduced HB 41 and SB 74 to basically do the same thing.  Am I suppose to believe that with such swift action taken towards SB 2 and SB 5, keeping in mind that absolutely nothing had been done with HB 210 and SB 209, that "they" truly intend to do anything with HB 41 and SB 74.  I wish someone would start leading by example.  In our state, Ohio politicians and particularly the House and Senate simply dictate what is best for everyone else, when it comes to cuts and sacrifices, but do not include themselves.

"Please ask someone in your newspaper to address this issue with the General Assembly.  John Adams (the House Majority Leader) said in a newspaper article, just this week, that every penny saved counts and matters.  Yet he along with rest the General Assembly cost the Ohio tax payer between $600,000.00 and $800,000.00 annually just in travel reimbursements for one trip per week from their home to Columbus.  How much money could Ohio taxpayers save if we demanded no more travel reimbursements for anyone.

"Think about it, I can't be the only person that feels our elected state representatives, senators, governor and his cabinet along with other high level appointed staff are not walking the walk but rather only talking the talk.  Use to be that politicians ran for office to help there constituents to have a better life, but now they are only looking to find a job for themselves!  In fact why should we be treated as children of bad parents who are  told "do as I say not as I do".

"I have e-mails from members of both the House and the Senate basically telling me to shut up!  I have an e-mail showing the travel reimbursement from 2008 and part of 2009 to support my claim of $600,000.00 to $800,000.00 paid in travel reimbursements.  Think about that, please.  Since 2008, that's at least $600,000.00 times 3.25 years equaling $1,950,000.00 or you could say the pay that could have gone to 78 plus state workers making $12.00 and hour who are now unemployed.

"It makes me sad."

Comments

1Freeatlast(1991 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

All will be on the backs of the workers

2HonestAbe(270 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Of course he and his cronies won't take pay cuts. What's even more frightening is that neither will our state legislators. I tried for the better part of a Saturday afternoon recently to find out exactly how much our state legislators make. It's nearly impossible to find one singular number. There's a base figure, but then for every committee a leigislator sits on, they earn an additional couple thousand dollars. I want to know this: Will these folks be required to pay more toward their health insurance? Will the state kick in for their pensions? Will their vacation and sick days be capped? Just wondering exactly how SB5 will affect them? If I had to make a bet with myself, I'd bet not too much. And if someone can provide an accurate link to this information, I'd love to see it.

3borylie(768 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Mr.de Souza, I don't like to pat you on the back only when you write something that I agree with,but this is what you should be working on most of the time,exposing politicians and politics. When politicians are telling you to shut up,then you're doing your job as looking out for the people. The media is our real watchdog.

4folliclelyimpaired1(12 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

The gov, "Sir John", wants us workers to make all the cuts "to bring this money problem back to what he thinks it should be. Who is paying for his renovation of his home for security, when the governor's mansion sits empty? A CHANGE A COM'N!

5commoncitizen(959 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

Dimebag,
Very good point about the Democrats in office taking pay cuts. Why haven't Hagen, Gerrberry, etc "set" an example and reduced their pay?
Why didn't Strickland take a pay cut when he was in office and putting the State in debt?
ONLY the Republicans should take pay cuts?

6ytown67(22 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

It wasn't Strickland who put us in debt, it was Taft and his Cronies and eight years of Republican rule.

7commoncitizen(959 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

And Strickland reduced the defecit by how much? Oh right, HE increased it!!

8Askmeificare(688 comments)posted 3 years, 3 months ago

@ dimebag:

"Gee, Will El Presidente Obama,his Czars, Hillary, Tim Ryan, the Cleveland Browns, and Mr deSouza take pay cuts?

None of them are exactly pulling their weight these days. What kind of stupid arse question is this Bertram? You make less sense every day !"

dimebag, you state that, "You make less sense every day !", but YOU'RE the one holding the bag with a drug related name like dimebag.

I know you don't get it, but that's ok.

Perhaps you should smoke a bit less my friend and enjoy REALITY, not perceptions of life in YOUR reality.

When you have accomplished smoking less for a period of one year and have "dried out" to whatever extent you could be "dried out", then kindly might I suggest any book with a subject in the vein of Taoism.

Yes, yes. Perceptions of life in YOUR reality.

I have a song for you my friend:

After studying Taoism for a few years, this song may become, well, shall I say PROPHETIC?

Hahahaha - yes, enjoy, enjoy.