Canfield

Poland

Residential
3 bedroom, 5 bath
$179900

« Stirfry

J.J. Cafaro: Down, but not out

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published January 9, 2011

Untitled document

In February, Mahoning Valley shopping center developer John J. Cafaro pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Cleveland to violating federal elections law during the 2004 congressional campaign of his daughter, Capri. In June, J.J. went before Judge Kathleen O’Malley and walked out of court a free man. The three years’ probation, the $250,000 fine and the 150 hours of community service were a breeze, considering he could have been sent to the penitentiary for six months.

Since then, Cafaro has retired as an executive with the Cafaro Co., has been spotted performing his community service, and last week was on hand to see his daughter, Capri, being sworn in — again — as minority leader of the Ohio Senate.

Although J.J. is not legally prohibited from attending political events or being involved in politics, why would he want to draw attention to himself and to the minority leader by making the trek to Columbus? One explanation is that he’s a proud daddy who wanted to be on hand to see Capri retain her leadership of the Democrats in the Senate. Another explanation: He and his wife and their other daughter wanted to make sure that the room wasn’t empty. After all, Democrats suffered such a political defeat in the November general election that they don’t control any statewide offices, and are in the minority in the General Assembly.

In the Senate, Democrats hold only 10 of the 33 seats, which means they could caucus in a telephone booth (remember those?), or as one political observer put it, “They’ve become a one pizza caucus.”

J.J. Cafaro, who several years ago pleaded guilty to bribing then Congressman James A. Traficant Jr., wouldn’t be welcomed in many political circles, but there’s something to be said for a father providing moral support to his daughter.

Comments

11970mach1(1005 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"Although J.J. is not legally prohibited from attending political events or being involved in politics, why would he want to draw attention to himself and to the minority leader by making the trek to Columbus?"

Hmm. could it be because he is arrogant and wants to give the public the feeling he is untouchable?

And you forgot to mention his exploits in the Chance trial.

2Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

JJ still has the clout ! Don't count him out . He still has puppets on a string .

3Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

"SHAKE DOWN EVERY 6 MONTHS FOR 250K- FINES-BECAUSE THATS WHAT ITS ABOUT ! "

Yes, yes ! That bad Judge Maureen Cronin shook his company down and got prison time .

41loaf(100 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

As long as the sheep in the valley flock to the polls and vote for anyone with a "D" after his name in the general elections people like J.J.will continue to rule the "Little Chicago" area.At least the old gangsters that bought our elected officials didn't make any bones(Pardon the pun)about their motives.

5RobertAlphonso(74 comments)posted 3 years, 6 months ago

I've long defended the Vindy and guys like Skolnik and Bertram. But seriously, De Souza's columns have become the laziest most thoughtless things I've seen in a newspaper.

Whatever one thinks of JJ, Bertram could provide a little more insight or write something that actually requires him to get out of his house or at least make a phone call.

Skolnik and De Souza are the Lou Holtz and Mark May of the Vindicator. Just stating the obvious yet continuously given a platform to do so.

6DJ0(72 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

...the valley has a reputation of corruption and violence that is hard to live down. From the Soprano wannabe goombah's and the presently indicted gang that can't cheat straight to the everpresent shootings by school dropout lawn jockeys, there is a shroud hanging over us all.

7sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

First of all I seldom vote for Democrats. I do not know any members of the Cafaro family however expressions like sleazy meatball, dirtball family, and Soprano wanna be, are way out of line. I have only heard Ms. Cafaro speak on the radio and she sounds extremely well educated and hard working and seems to be empathetic the plight of the valley. I am sure the Cafaro family has done more good for this valley, than all of us here put together. They have created jobs, pay tons in taxes, and are from what I understand are very charitable people. Don't be jealous of their successes this entire family deserves our respect and and thanks. Every family has issues so you shouldn't be so quick to attack and judge this one. This family could live anywhere, I for one am proud that they choose to live here. As far as J.J. goes he is a proud father and deservedly so.

8sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

censoredship, as I stated I don't know nor have I ever met any member of the Cafaro family. I am not on their payroll and resent the implication that I am. You seem like a very bitter person and since I am Italian, I see you have nothing but hatred for Italians. People with tons of money can spend time hiding it from the IRS or giving it to charity, they I understand are big givers. Just because you are not as savvy in business as they are is no reason to hate them. I do not know what church the Cafaro's attend, I attend St. Patrick's in Hubbard, and with all of the anger and hatred you are displaying here, it may do you well to speak with Father Tim, he is a great priest and maybe he can help you quell the hate in you...

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

sameolhub :

Would you call bribing a judge or a congressman as being an organized way of doing business ? Would you call it a crime ?

10DJ0(72 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Wow! That's really interesting. I never mentioned the C family in my comments... and that's immediatley where you ran. No, there are lots of fine upstanding ethnic families of all races in te valley. The ones I held up were just two that seem to be in the news disproportionately. Let's face it, ya can't argue with the headlines! If the shoe, or $200 sneaker fits and ya got spaghetti sauce on yer shirt....

11sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

To all of the haters stan, djo, and censor, all I can say is when you use words like sleazy meatball dirtbag family, the Soprano's, Little Chicago, you are without question referring to Italains'. It's not playing the race card it is having the balls to call you out on your real objection to the Cafaro's. How many jobs have you created? As far as bribing politicians goes blame the politicians for whoring themselves out. It appears we have a fine young State Senator who you expect to pay for the sins of her father and grandfather, and uncle. And I bet you all wonder why Youngstown is going down the drain?????

12Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

sameolhub :

"It appears we have a fine young State Senator who you expect to pay for the sins of her father and grandfather, and uncle."

You don't say . . ..

So they have sinned ? When Capri decides in politics , who comes first ? The taxpayers or the Cafaro organization ?

13sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

It makes no sense for me to try to reason with hate filled morons. Maybe it would help you if you stated how you feel the Cafaro's did you wrong. It is not healthy to carry around the anger and hate you people have. Yes I am sure they have sinned, as have I, have you?

14JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

As censoredship previously mentioned, and most will agree:

"The Cafaro's don't do anything unless it benefits them personally"

15sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Again we talk about Godfathers, greasy fingers, strong armed, etc. Just admit you aren't Italain and have strong dislike for Italians. Every business man and company has made mistakes. I think the good out weighs the bad. That is my opinion. Like I stated before they have given nothing to me, I have never met them, but the valley's politicians have always been dirty and corrupt and if you wanted to do anything they were all there in a row with their hands out. I don't think you or I have any right to determine how much wealth anyone can create or "hoard" as you like to call it.

16sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@censordshiped

Talk about being paradoxically challenged.

Here is what you said...

"I didn't use any of these words:

"sleazy meatball dirtbag family, the Soprano's, Little Chicago"
Sins of her father? Her missteps involving Daddy Warbucks is still current news. It's not someone removed from that corruption we are talking about here. Wonder how much other mob money was given to her campaign?"

Daddy Warbucks, MOB money give me a break you hater....

17JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

I can't see how anyone on here has made this a personal issue about Italians. It's about unethical business operations.

18JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Btw, are the Cafaro's Italian, or American?

19sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@JME, Can you read beyond the 5th grade level? Take a minute and read some of the terms used to describe the Cafaro family by these haters. Do you think these folks that are so unhappy about their ethics, need to use the terminology and adjectives that were used? Just be honest with yourself and you will see many terms are negative terms refrencing Italians...

20sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

They are Americans of Italian decent like myself. If they were black and similar terms were being used, the post would be shut down for fear of upsetting them.....

21JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

"It is not healthy to carry around the anger and hate you people have."

"@JME, Can you read beyond the 5th grade level? "

Hummm.

Maybe a typo, but speaking of 5th grade:

"Italains' " (more than once)

Spaghetti head (sameolhub), the truth is hard to accept.

22sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@JME,

It's a typo, I don't have spell check on so please excuse me. Nice name calling me Spaghetti head..... At least the truth of your feelings towards Italians has come out, I give you credit the other balless haters won't admit it. I'm glad you have a set, I am just sure it is a small set for some reason....

23JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Spaghetti, I am married to someone of Italian decent.
If you feel the names being used are degrading to folks of Italian decent, just say so.
The points being made in these posts are referring to the Cafaro's unethical business operations.
If you feel more Italian than American, move to Italy.

24sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

First of all your wife has my sympathy. If you are unable to read the posts, and read the terms being used by Italian haters to reference negativity towards Italians, then I would love the opportunity to sell you a big ticket item with a huge mark up because sir, you are not the brightest bulb in the box. I am American and love America, I have never been to Italy but respect my fore fathers who were from there. I will live where I want to for your information. Based on your attitude your wife should have taken more time making a decision.

25sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@censor
I believe Lenny Strollo is dead... or in prison. Wonder how his money is being passed around? I am as right wing as you can get. Now calling me a democrat liberal really has me tee'd off. To listen to you and the other haters in this room you would belive that every Italian was in the mob, and bribes politicians. Maybe since you are a fountain of such valuable information you should have a sit down with FBI and tell them all of the details that you know. You could single handedly clean up Y town, but be careful because alot of WASPS, will be going up the river too.

26JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

"What cracks me up is you @samolhub is that you are transfixed on your Italian identity. How about practicing being an American for a change?"

Samolhub likes to call himself an Italian when in fact he is not.
I work with someone who was born and raised in Italy, and still owns a home there. He is Italian, you are not samolhub.

Spaghetti want-to-be, you sound like your a burnt out light bulb with your reasoning and attitude. I'm surprissed no one has referred to you with the "D" word, coward!

27sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Coward? I am sticking up for the Cafaro's in this room of hate... And you have the nerve to call me coward. I guess when you are behind the key board its easy to get keyboard balls. I am a tax paying (i'd bet way more than you") based on your intelligence American. I practice it everyday. I am not a wannabe, I am from Italian decent. Knock of the spaghetti reference by the way, and I am only transfixed on the terrible adjectives and remarks being bantered around against the Cafaro family.

28sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@censor
There is no way you came from Italain Loins. NO WAY IN HELL. You are the one living the mafia and mob fantasy my friend. Read some of what you said. You crack me up. Your family was HUGE in gambling, lol get a life.

29JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

"I am a tax paying (i'd bet way more than you") based on your intelligence American. "

Mulitple college degrees here, hypocrite. Don't think you can match intelligence, or how much tax you pay.

You threw the first punch regarding my comments, and continue to attempt at insulting, albeit poorly.

We are all from different decent. We only hear "hey, I'm I-talian" from folks such as yourself.

JJ and company are still criminals.

30Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

sameolhub :

31sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@ censor @ Stan

Wow, maybe you should like apply for a job or maybe just get a life. You are a great pipe dreamer, such a pity to let all that imagination go to waste. You really are bitter and maybe take these stories a bit to seriously. Whatever the case my mobster friends are bigger than your mobster friends so there. Is that what you are trying to tell me? You make assumptions that every rich Italian is connected. You sir are wrong. I lack both the time and the inclination to discuss your fantasies with you and your buddy Stan any longer. You have your opinions and I have the right opinion, let's just leave it at that....

32sameolhub(55 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

Your boy Barrack O'bama has stolen more money, broken more laws, and pissed on the constitution than JJ Cafaro and the entire Cafaro family ever could. What should we do to him, since you want JJ in jail? I wasn't paying Cafaro with my tax dollars, I was paying Traficant. He took the money and he did the time. What good other than to make a bunch of jealous envious people laugh and have something to talk about would putting JJ in jail do? Get real. He can afford a good attorney, don't you wish you could. Speaking of blowing your horn, you have been attempting that all day. I have 65 employees that answer to me, all day every day..

33JME(801 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

@sameolhub,

"I lack both the time and the inclination to discuss your fantasies with you and your buddy Stan any longer"

What happened here sameolhub? Guess you had time to keep coming back for more. You are clearly out of your league on these boards, and it shows with your lack of knowledge.
If you actually spent some time on here and debate the various issues going on in the world, you would probably agree with censoredship on many of the issues, specifically politics.
Better get back to tending to your Wal Mart employees, honk honk

34candystriper(575 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm not sure if this will get deleted or entered into evidence...lol. Establishing your credentials as being qualified to comment on Vindy may make it worthy...lol.

35DJ0(72 comments)posted 3 years, 5 months ago

... at the risk of pouring gasoline on an olive oil fire, listen to Censorship, he's got some good points. Mine were sarcasm, not racism. They were directed at certain elements, stereotypes... gangster's and wannabe gangsta's.