Poland

Poland

Residential
5 bedroom, 6 bath
$395000

« Stirfry

Valley owes Pavlik its thanks

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published August 2, 2011

By now, the sports world knows that Kelly Pavlik, the Mahoning Valley’s claim to international boxing fame, has turned down $1.3 million for a fight. The reason: It’s not enough money for an ex-world boxing champ.

While the initial reaction in the Valley to this seemingly inexplicable decision is one of surprise, a bit of introspection leads to this conclusion: Pavlik has done us all a favor by turning his nose up at $1.3 million. His decision conveys a clear message: We’re worth more than what people might think.

And what do people think about this area? Former Congressman-turned-convicted felon has long been the face of the Valley, and, unfortunately, he turned out to be a classless crook. Even though Traficant, while a member of the House of Representatives, was found guilty of 10 criminal charges, including racketeering, bribery and tax evasion — he used his public position for personal gain — it was determined that the value of the bribes, gifts and other illegal activities was $45,000.

At a time when other members of Congress were going to prison for grabbing a million dollars or more, Traficant turned out to be second-rate.

But now, with Pavlik demanding more than $1.3 million for a fight, our reputation has been restored. We can only hope our corrupt public officials will follow his lead — and go for the gold.

Comments

1crimelander(122 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

How in the world do we link Pavlik to Traficant.

Yikes, what a silly piece.

/ We’re worth more than what people might think. /

Yeah right. Ask the corrupt politicos locally how much they fetch in their own business after the corruption. Traficant for instance would be thrilled to net $45k this year for paid appearances and speaking engagements. His days of easy money are gone as is most of his clout.

Ask Pavlik two years from now if he'll fight for $5k in sparing ring. You don't walk out on Arum and his boxing promotion at the last minute.

Silly all the way around.

Perhaps Bertram should have included the folks writing his paycheck in this little odd rant?

2Erplane(482 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

When I saw the headline for this blog, I thought you were going to say that Pavlik lifted the spirits of the Valley at a time when Delphi was packing up and leaving, Severstal was laying off, Lordstown was down on shifts, and the global economic decline was hurting us bad. I thought you were going to remind everybody that Pavlik came in late 2007 and kept the pride meter high in the Valley while there wasnt much to be thankful for. He was a bridge that connected us to good events, like V&M, TMK, Lordstown, all the press from the YBI, and now Utica Shale. That would have been the right thing to do.

Instead you had to bring up Traficant. Congrats, I think you're the last person in the media to mention him by name.

Kelly, I'm disappointed you canceled this fight. But I do recall the pride I had when you got back up and knocked down Taylor in '07. I remember.

3penguinfan1(29 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe Bertram didn't blame YSU and their unions.

4Stan(9923 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Bringing money to The Valley is good . Bringing more money to The Valley is better . GO KELLY !

5TheLostPatrol(756 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

We can now officially say, "He is Old News".

6arod(263 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

We should probably pass some of the blame to Jim Tressel, wouldn't be right to exclude him.

7Max(81 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Seriously Bertram? SERIOUSLY?? How do you in any way, shape, or form, link the Pavlik situation to Jim Traficant??

You need to have your head examined. I can't believe the Vindicator employs you when you continue to write crap like this.

8ytownexpat(7 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Good lord, this is nonsensical journalism.

9taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't know who Bert was listenting to, but all of the posts that I read about Pavlik (until I got tired of the same old) was all about how wrong Pavlik was to turn this down and that he is finished by doing this. I didn't see one person say anything remotely close to what is in this article. Total nonsense

10Constructor(105 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

I can appeciate the humor in this piece!

11computer_rick(137 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

Bertram as of the past few years, reminds me more and more of my cranky old Uncle who retired from the mills years ago.

You just nod your head, say "yep" and try to get through the lunch without saying something to p!ss him off, so you suddenly become a member of the enemies list.

Seriously bertram, are you going to die in your seat, old and torqued at the world, like Al Capp or Mike Royko (only without the talent) ?

retire please, the sun does not shine out of your ___.

12Valley75(1 comment)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

You are an idiot. Seriously.

13mlisi39(47 comments)posted 3 years, 1 month ago

So pavlik should be as selfish as possible, but YSU employees are horrible people for wanting anything. THAT'S OUR VINDICATOR!!!!!

14ytownescapee(20 comments)posted 3 years ago

Really Mr. DeSouza, you have got to be kidding. You are still ranting about Traficant when you have all those corrupt, crooked politicians in Mahoning County to pick on? Problem is, you don't turn on the ones who either put money in YOUR pocket or do you favors.

How about exposing these disgusting individuals? I dare you to expose just one of the higher ups but I know that will never happen. What is the saying "never sh*t where you live" or something to that effect. There is an eerie silence whenever I bring up "corrupt" or "crooked" politicians. You used to slam these guys (am I not right Stan because you are one of the silent ones?) in your editorials back in the day. You are either afraid or your with them. Can't see any other answer. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen (got that one right).

As for Kelly, I would never assume that I know what he has going on in his life and would be the last person to judge him. He is doing what he feels is right for himself and his family. Ohio does have he best fans and it is hard for them to let go. I don't blame him for not wanting to get his head hammered so people will be happy.