Poland

Poland

Residential
5 bedroom, 6 bath
$395000

« Stirfry

A daughter's plaintive cry

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published March 21, 2010

Untitled document

J.J. Cafaro’s apology to his daughter, Capri, for the public embarrassment he has caused her didn’t impress anyone, least of all his flesh and blood.

Capri Cafaro, the Ohio Senate minority leader who represents the 32nd District in Trumbull County, issued a statement last week after her father’s violation of federal election law was revealed that spoke volumes.

“My father made mistakes and has taken responsibility for them. This is difficult for me because, while he is my father and I care about him, I do not condone his actions. This is a regrettable situation, which is, thankfully, coming to an end. I will continue to focus my time and energy on doing my job for the people as a member of the state senate. I am honored to work for the people of my district and approach my position with great seriousness and humility. I believe my constituents and my colleagues know me for my dedication to public service, integrity and transparency.”

There was no appeal for leniency. There was no insistence that her father is an honorable man who was simply doing what any loving father would do — try to buy a congressional seat for his daughter.

And, there was a plaintive cry to her dad to leave her the hell alone, as evidenced by the statement, “I believe my constituents and my colleagues know me for my dedication to public service, integrity and transparency.” In other words, Capri Cafaro wants people to know that she is her own woman — and politician.

That will be a tough sell because going all the way back to the criminal trial of former Congressman James A. Traficant Jr., she and her father have been tied at the hip. And when he pleaded guilty to bribing Traficant and committing perjury, she was tainted.

And now this.

Comments

1Stan(9923 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Capri knows how to pander to the public which is very wise of her . She also is a Cafaro and gets all the benefits for being JJ's daughter . Don't think for a minute that she isn't making deals on her father's behalf out of the public eye .

21970mach1(1005 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

"Perhaps J.J. Cafaro, as he serves his prison sentence, will reflect on what he has done to his daughter’s reputation and will conclude that he has been her worst political enemy."

The exact opposite: w/o Daddy Billionaire, she'd have been a nobody and would never have been able to buy the seat in the first place.

3EliotNess_DC(86 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

No sympathy for Capri, who is just as narcissistic as her father. (Remember her 2004 quest to become "the youngest woman ever elected to Congress"?)

Capri perjured herself at Detore's trial.

She is a chip off the old blockhead.

It is hilarious that J.J.'s perjury about having bribed Traficant is making swiss cheese of Capri's brilliant career of spending other people's money.

If Youngstown re-elects Traficant there will be an opportunity to put the Cafaros in prison where they belong.

4havinmysay(155 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

You can only do dirt for so long before it comes to light. Anyone believing she was not involved in her father's criminal activity is a fool.

5vinglass(231 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

But wasn't it Flora Cafaro who passed the envelope to Cronin? Is she getting a pass??

6ochi56(30 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Suggestion to Ohio Senator Capri Cafaro:

File your 'Press Release' with the courts. It can't hurt. I'm sure the judge will get a big laugh out of it.

ps. If this re-election thing doesn't work out for you..............you have a great future in comedy. I'm sure your Daddy will be able to buy the copy rights to a TV comedy show 'about nothing'.

Good Luck!!!!

7ochi56(30 comments)posted 4 years, 6 months ago

Memo to JJ's attorney:

File for a 'change of venue' for sentencing. Ask to move sentencing to C-town in Judge Lesley Brooks Wells' Court. She knows JJ and 'Carpi'.

Sidebar: Is Judge Wells your wife???