Poland

Poland

Residential
4 bedroom, 7 bath
$899900

« Stirfry

Kelly Pavlik: Mr. Feelgood

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published February 20, 2009

This hasn't been a very good year for the white male in America. Consider:

The CEOs of the three American auto manufacturers who were forced to grovel before Congress are ...  white men.

The barons of Wall Street who have had their high-flying lives come crashing down to earth are ... white men.

The biggest scam artist on Wall Street who has cost Americans billions of dollars is a white guy by the name of Madoff.

Most of the major companies that are struggling to stay alive are led by, you guessed it, white guys.

Now contrast that with a few success stories:

The president of the United States is a black guy (O.K., he's mixed race, but it was his mother who was white.)

The most powerful leader in Congress is a white woman, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

The most successful coach in professional football is a black guy.

The two most talented basketball players are named Kobe and LeBron.

And if that isn't enough to cause white men to cry in their beers, Tiger Woods has announced that he will return to professional golf next week. Woods is mixed race, but neither parent is white.

Finally, if you are in need of major brain surgery, a brown man will probably be the one who'll save your life.

Oh, one more thing: The Oscar for Best Movie could be won by "Slumdog Millionaire," which was shot in Mumbai — in India.

But all is not lost.

Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik of the South Side of Youngstown fights Saturday night and when he enters the ring, every white guy will feel just a little bit better about himself. Kelly has become their "Mr. Feelgood."

Comments

1Tugboat(759 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

"Every white guy?" All due respect to Pavlik, not every white guy can be found vegetating in this hype.

2harpman372(1 comment)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

I can not believe that you of all people would post a racist blog like this. You should be fired as an objective editor. The people of Youngstown and the surrounding areas need a up-lift so to speak. It doesn't matter what race, color, or creed these people are just as long as they get the job done! (sarcasim coming) I as a WHITE guy, according to you, should "feel good" that my hometown champion boxer is WHITE , and especially if he kicks a FORIGNERS BUTT ! You're a pompass donkey ! so to speak

3DavidBetras(18 comments)posted 5 years, 7 months ago

wow someone called bert a "pompass donkey" well at least your the democrat icon

4aeparish(669 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Pompass. HAHA.

Are you trying to create a pun with the usage of 'donkey,' or do you just not know that correct spelling of the word "pompous?"

5cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

While I think the column is kind of simplistic, Bertram is not an "objective editor" Harpman, he's a columnist and opinion writer. Big difference--he's not supposed to be objective.

6Youngstown_Strong(91 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Berty, Berty, Berty... Where do I begin?

Do I root for Pavlik because he's white? No. I root for him because he's from Youngstown you tool. Your point of white guys being related to bad news lately is pretty dumb. Anyone with a brain can counter your logic here:

1) CEOs of the three American auto manufacturers-- The members of Congress who the those idiots groveled for were majority white men

2) The biggest scam artist on Wall Street-- The man prosecuting Madoff is white

3) Major companies that are struggling to stay alive-- The Business Incubator & one of the most successful businesses in Youngstown as of late (Turning Tech) are you guessed it, led by white men

Staying in tune with your piece, let's counter your contrasting points:

1) Obama-- I'm a white guy and I voted for Obama not Hillary or Mccain! I'm having a good year so far, my guy won for a change

2) House Speaker Nancy Pelosi-- If your argument for Obama's heritage is to be taken seriously than so must Pelosi's. Also, she is married to a white man and if the saying goes behind every good man is a good woman than you could just as easily say vice versa

3) Most successful coach in professional football-- One of the least successful coaches in football this year is a black guy (Browns). The teams with the best records in both conferences (who also beat Tomlin's team this year) were coached by white men

4) Kobe & Lebron-- Obviously I will give you the NBA but how about the last two NFL MVPS (2008, 2007) being white guys

5) Slumdog Millionare-- This was a movie written by a white man (screenplay) and directed by a white man

Who cares if these people are white or black or brown? I guess, I should re-phrase, besides you Bert and other narrow-minded people, who cares?

Get over yourself Berty. Lumping people together because of the color of their skin is an outdated and racist viewpoint. Jews, Italians and Irish are each different just as Sunni and Shiite are different, just as Lebron and Maurice Clarett are different. Just because they have similar skin tones doesn't mean a damn thing. I wouldn't lump you in with Osama and I don't like you lumping me in with Madoff.

Bert, I think Ytown has had enough of your idiotic viewpoints. Paul Gains once explained to me that he told you someone was going to try and kill him when running for Prosecutor. He said you scoffed at that idea and thought he was paranoid. You were obviously wrong then. You are off the mark here too.

While I do value a difference in opinion, I don't think the Vindicator is the proper place for your resentments.

7ricnsherri(41 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Sir,
To be quite blunt, YOU SHOULD BE FIRED!!!! This is doing nothing but fanning the flames. No wonder half of the posters in the discussion section postthe negative comments like they do. With a major contributor like you posting what you just did. SHAME ON YOU SIR.

8OhioNewshound(2 comments)posted 5 years, 6 months ago

Great work Bert. Kept me laughing!