Sorry, no featured properties currently.

« Stirfry

Sarah Palin to Faux Elites: Stuff It!

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published October 2, 2008

After her disastrous performances on the ABC and CBS news programs and after being parodied on Saturday Night Live, Republican Sarah Palin went into Thurday night's vice presidential debate with Democrat Joe Biden badly bruised politically. The question on most people's minds was whether she would be able to avoid a total collapse, or would redeem herself.

Palin found her stride again, and in so doing showed why she remains popular with the great unwashed. She is not intellectually threatening, she is not politically sophisticated and she is not afraid of exposing her "aw shucks" roots.

And when she said in her concluding remarks that she much preferred speaking directly to the American people than having her comments filtered by the "mainstream media," she was, in effect, telling the so-called elites and others  disillusioned into thinking they are elites. "Stuff it!"

Palin did not fall flat on her face, did not embarrass presidential nominee John McCain and did not apologize for not knowing as much as Biden. What she did do is take a verbal walk down main street and connect with a whole bunch of people.

Palin had a good night. Just ask "Joe Six Pack."

Comments

1projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I watched the debate on CNN & found that her "Joe Six Pack" comments received a negative reaction from the Ohio focus group. There was a little too much of it in my opinion. Being too "Aw shucks" can also seem lacking in leadership and unpresidential. I'm sure its great for running for mayor of a small town or governor of a small state but it doesn't lead one to think "I want her to meet with Putin and discuss nuclear disarmament." or "I want her having a say in the appointment of our next Supreme Court Justices." In an era of economic uncertainty, with the threat of terrorism, and with our over stretched military, I don't want a soccer mom or Joe Six Pack (for real? mom's watch children play soccer while dad sits back chugging a six pack? - lovely) making important decisions for me. I want an educated, erudite leader to take charge and return our country to its great standing in the world.

2GeorgeFelixFarris(8 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I liked Palin when I saw her speech at the Republican convention, but I also thought she was a bit thin on details during the debate.
Still, I'll take a person's PRINCIPLES, judgement and actions over PERSONALITY and STYLE. Really, Joe Biden is a nice guy and very professional but he is still part of that group that bends with the popular wind. He helped pass the 1999 legislation that encouraged the bad loans that helped put America into this financial tailspin. Of course he doesn't mention that. He's just a little too much of a windbag and too old style backslapping politician. I don't mean to disrespect his years of service but that's the impression I get from him.
BUT TODAY we are facing some very tough times and we it seems we need a tough, independent-thinking person — like Palin. She will surround herself with experienced people. But she will make her own decisions.
I believe that the key characteristics a great leader are a good work ethic, good judgement, courage and enthusiasm. Sarah Palin appears to embody most of these characteristics.
Yes, I was a little surprised by Palin's "shout out" to third graders. And I wish she would have responded to Biden's "We will end this war!" With "You will LOSE this war."
But Palin doesn't pretend to be a great debater. She is refreshingly direct, unflappable and seems to stick to her principles, not a script. When I look back in history, it seems to me that America's BEST leaders had those same traits. God Bless America.##

3cambridge(3102 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

Obama 08!

4apollo(1227 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

What we really need GeorgeFelixFarris is some intellect in the white house. We see how messed up Bush the simpleton has made things.

What we don't need is more of this fake folksy Palin I'm one of you types and certainly not a religous right fanatic.

5Woody(452 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

I saw that focus group in Ohio on CNN. If anyone thinks they were undecided coming in to the debate, I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

6ytownoptimist(86 comments)posted 6 years, 2 months ago

With the economic crisis that we are now facing, I think that less Americans will want someone whose English usage is worse than their children in middle school and will prefer a solid, centered, educated individual when it comes to a VP choice. Have newspapers around the country polled "Joe Six Pack"? I doubt it. You know why? They probably don't vote, don't read about the issues or watch the news all that much (at least sober if they are drinking all those six packs). ;) Sure, I'm being a smart alec but Palin's folksiness might work if you are playing bingo with her but not as someone one would want negotiating important trade, energy or military issues. Regarding energy, she's an expert on energy policy yet never utters a peep about any type of energy other than gas or oil (which directly benefits her state). Would it kill her to alott some responsibility to the American people to cut back on energy use or discuss solar and/or wind energy? I wish the media or moderators would push her more on this so-called "expertise". Since she'll now be "protected" from the media for the next month, I guess we'll never know . . .