Canfield

$335000

Poland

Residential
3 bedroom, 5 bath
$179900

« Stirfry

A message from Don L. Hanni Jr.

By Bertram de Souza (Contact)

Published July 17, 2008

"Hello, Bertram, this is your chairman. Miss me yet?"

"Hey, chairman, where are you?"

"In Limbo. Story of my life! Reason I'm calling from wherever is to urge you to persuade my sons and daughters to drop their idea of having my body lie in state in the rotunda of the Mahoning County Courthouse. It's not that I object to being treated like a head of state, but I understand the kids are going to pay for use of the courthouse Sunday. I never paid for anything in that place."

"Was it your wish for your body to be put on public display, chairman?"

"Are you f------ crazy? Would I spend money on something like that? Here's what I want the kids to do: Take the money they are going to pay Mahoning County, and throw a huge party at one of my favorite watering holes. And to honor my memory every one should have a double shot of rum with a coke chaser. Now that would be paying homage to me."

"Ok, chairman, I'll see what I can do. By the way, stay out of the fire."

Comments

1Jon(27 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Bertram, you are a piece of sh*t. Period.

2Jon(27 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Again, you are a piece of sh*t. How could you possibly say what you wrote when the family just lost a family memeber? You are a piece of sh*t. Who cares about the medias side of this?? This column was an attack on their family's choice on doing what their father wanted. You claim to be his "friend' but you would try to make his children second quess doing what the Bull Moose wanted??? 99% of people I speak to say "Bertram is a classless hack of a writer who writes sh*t like this to get attention and cause controversy to get his name out there". Now they know your a piece of sh*t too. You should retract this column if YOU HAVE ANY CLASS. Their family is spending sleepless nights trying to honor him and you write this column? Bertram, you are a piece of sh*t. Period.

3DHDaughter(2 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Dearest Bertram,
For the record once again you have it wrong. It was my fathers wish to have his calling hours in the Mahoning County Courthouse given that is where he spent a great deal of his time, also given the fact that our great uncle John Hanni was one who helped to build that Courthouse, just look at the tribute plaque on the right side of the Courthouse entrance.

I am the one who requested that my father be lied in state there as per his wish. I won't chastize you for your mistaken remarks because my father had a great respect for you even though he often referred to you as "Saboo the elephant rider" in jest.

This I will say, that if it wasn't for Don Hanni the Vindicator would be nothing more than the drab little paper it has become, my father gave you the news for which to sell your papers.

As for you Bertram, for as much of a hardnose as you like to portray youself, I know that you too had admiration and respect for my father. I along with my family don't think you are a piece of sh....t. In fact we thank you for being my fathers biggest critic. There are a few other things you were mistaken about. My father never drank rum and coke, you should know better than that, he was a scotch drinker and he loved his italian red wine.

I for one will miss him terribly, as you know he was my mentor, my teacher and my best friend. When I fell he forced me to stand on my own and he made me what I am and I'll miss him....the old man. Thank you Bertram, you and my father made the vindicator the voice of the valley. Respectfully, Heidi A. Hanni

4DHDaughter(2 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Bertram,
Again thank you for the piece in todays paper. You portrayed as he truly was and you knew him well. all my best Heidi

5Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Having known Don was a gift from God make no mistake about it ! With Don's help the working man could continue to put food on the table, house his family and keep many Churches open . Don will be sadly missed by many in the Valley .

6George412(161 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

So now Betram is both a "piece of sh*t" and "Saboo the elephant rider," but any criticism of/attention to Don Hanni's questionable dealings is off limits because he died? Give us all a break; Hanni's hardly a candidate for sainthood, and there are many in the valley who believe that this laying in state in the courthouse rotunda is a bit much. You can't put on such a show and not expect to attract some commentary.

7ferenchakcm(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Shame on you and shame on the Vindicator for publishing this piece. I am offended by this article. anyone, including the Hanni family should be allowed to pay their respects to the departed anyway they desire without fear of being ridiculed. Cy Ferenchak

8hwa123(1 comment)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Bertram your a real piece of crap. If this was Mr. Hanni's wishes then the family did the right thing to honor a man who did so much for Mahoning County. He was a great lawyer, a great man, and a great friend of mine and I will miss him very much. Maybe the next time your enjoying a lap dance at all the strip joints you frequent you might think about toasting the "Bull Moose" instead of ridiculing a good man and their family.