Columbiana

$109000

Boardman

Residential
4 bedroom, 5 bath
$376000

« Reason

What was this election for, anyway?

By Tyler S. Clark (Contact)

Published May 19, 2009

I understand pragmatism and am a devotee. I understand when decisions have to be made for expediency and for the sake of progress. I have, therefore, viewed Obama's campaign and presidency--as he is taken to task for compromise--with an understanding eye. Some decisions are not what you want them to be, but it's not hard to understand why they were necessary.

But there is a limit to permissiveness, especially when it comes to the core issues behind the last election: America's image around the world, specifically having to do with war, torture and detainees.

I haven't seen changes to our policy with the wars. We're still spending exorbitant sums there and haven't brought anybody home that I can tell. Am I looking for results too quickly?

We're still censoring torture pictures that are going to illuminate the issue and help us have more informed decisions about military contractors and military interrogations. Is only the opposition party ever in favor of transparency?

Finally, the funds for closing Guantanamo have been withdrawn from the proposed budget and military tribunals are being reinstated.

I never thought I'd find myself longing for idealism and orthodoxy.

Comments

1epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Amen brother.

2cambridge(3031 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Tyler, I agree with what you are saying except for the torture pictures. That's a hard one. We have about 200,000 troops in the region and probable as many civilian contractors. That 's my only consideration in not pursuing the torture issue at this time.

After World War II trials were held and the guilty were punished. I'm for the same thing happening when we leave Iraq and succeed in Afganastan and Pakistan. At that time anybody that looked the other way on the torture issue should resign and anyone who broke the law should go to jail.

Otherwise I agree with what you've pointed out.

3cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I agree as well and will take it another direction. Last night I watched an interview with a decorated 18 year veteran of the air force, who was awarded among other things, the medal of heroism for his brave service. He is being discharged because he is gay, despite Obama's promise to repeal the "Don't ask Don't tell," policy. During the campaign Obama assured us he was capable of tackling more than one issue at a time, yet it seems the economy is his excuse for lack of political courage.

4epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Tyler,

I'm kind of grumpy myself in regards to this recent backpedaling. However, I really liked Frank Rich's take on it:

5valleyred(1098 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Thank God Obama is becoming Bush #2 on National Security..... I still am willing to bet GITMO does not close.

6AXLE69(181 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Obama needs to tell Cheney to shut his mouth or maybe a full scale investigation of his 8 yrs of illegal activities will be in order.Oh what the heck,investigate the imbecilic moron Dick anyway

7epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

"Frank Rich has been proved over and over to be a rectum orfice. The only torture going on is watching this slum lawyer of a president screw things up even more. Every day is another event on the side show."

These are banal rants that serve no purpose than to be spiteful. Unfortunately, I don't care that an anonymous white guy from y-town doesn't like my precious little opinions. The reality is that Obama is doing everything he can to heal the scars of the previous administration. I wish him well and hope he restores us to safety and prosperity.

8valleyred(1098 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

How about this!

CNN/Opinion Dynamics Poll Out
Bush Approval in Jan: 35%
Bush Approval in May: 41%
Bush: +6

Cheney Approval in Jan: 29%
Cheney Approval in May: 37%
Cheney: +8

I wonder what this could be attributed to? Perhaps Americans fearing the socialized auto-health-bank industry under Obama or people finally waking up and realizing Bush/Cheney did a hell of a job keeping this nation safe after 9/11.

9cambridge(3031 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

It would pretty amazing for Cheney to have a 37% approval rating when only 20% of registered voters will admit to being Republican. I'm guessing 37 people would be more accurate.

10valleyred(1098 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Once again you liberals BUY EVERYTHING the mainstream media feeds you.

Read up on my column here: http://mvred.com/2009/05/20/the-media...

That should open your eyes a bit!

11VINDYAK(1799 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Liberalism is being overly concerned for all people at all times, despite the outcome. It is an idea which has great merit, but lacks the ability to complete, as others will always be negatively impacted on the opposite side. There is no solution, only compromise, thus liberalism cannot be fulfilled.

12tylersclark(182 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

@clarkkent: you're pretty liberal with the insults and character assassinations, while asking everyone else for facts. what's up with that?

@valleyred: liberals are a big tent party, so you'll have to be more specific about whom you're calling out. here's a pro tip for you: the plural of "voice" is "voices", not "voice's"; you'll want to update the graphic on your blog

13valleyred(1098 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Haha I missed that. Thanks for the heads up... I didn't have that problem in my writing classes at YSU...