Poland

Canfield

Residential
3 bedroom, 4 bath
$325000

« Reason

True courage in Iran

By Tyler S. Clark (Contact)

Published June 22, 2009

The Iranians struggling against an oppressive, conservative government have shown remarkable courage and resilience in the face of crushing violence and the threat of arrest--or death. What can we learn from them? To be sure, they call to mind the courage of our founding generation, whose persistent resistance against the world's most powerful empire led to the formation of the world's most powerful empire.

They also show us how to see through the lies of partisan politics that pretend to illuminate yet only create clouds of fear. Mr. Ahmadinejad has continually defamed Mr. Moussavi, accusing him of corruption and alignment with terrorists. Our own recent election was full of falsehoods and baseless recriminations. Maybe every election is, but I continue to hope for campaigning based on issues and principles, rather than personality and innuendo.

Are either of Iran's potential winners good for America? Will a new president really spell change in a country ruled by conservative clerics? And what should we be doing about it? I keep reading messages on Twitter suggesting I can overlay my icon with green in one click to show my support for Iranian protesters. Seriously? Is that the best I can do? Because I'm pretty sure that won't do a thing. Nor do I assume that I can effect change by blogging about Iran. In fact, there's nothing any of us can really do; it's in the hands of Iran.

The conservative leaders in the United States would do well to remember this fact, as they assail Obama for not being tough enough on Iran. We've got to let this thing play out and work with whomever wins. The President is right to affirm his support for the right to protest peacefully and for the right of citizens to have a voice in their government. These are critical points, no matter the election's outcome.

Comments

1valleyred(1094 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Tyler, how can you declare the winner 5 minutes after the polls closed?

All Americans know damn well that there was enormous fraud in this election and I'd be willing to bet Moussavi won the election from the news reports I have read.

Obama's poll numbers are falling; perhaps it is because he is not being tough enough on this Iran ordeal.

2tylersclark(182 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Of course there was fraud. I'm not disputing that. What are you going to do about it? What are you going to threaten Iran with, and what do you hope to accomplish? Just calling them out for fraud is only going to exacerbate an already fragile situation. Do you really expect words from the White House are going to change the situation on the ground there? Or are you going to invade them? What exactly are you proposing?

3valleyred(1094 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I believe we get on the side of the protesters that sought the freedom from the tyranny that has destroyed that country for decades.

They wanted this dictator out of office, and could have very well voted him out, but fraud kept him in power. I know Obama must watch because of the oil issue, but he needs to talk much tougher on Iran now.

4jcrews(7 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I know my green-tinted Twitter avatar is not much, but if one person is more aware of the political situation in Iran because of it, then - to me - it's something!

5cambridge(2968 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

The 2000 election in the United States was a fraud and I'm pretty sure nobody in this country wanted interference from another country. Republicans keep saying that Obama is trying to do to much in America and are now saying he isn't doing enough in Iran which is none of our business. The Republicans are a joke.

I support the protesters and their cause but we need to stay out of it. We are in business with China and Saudi Arabia two of the biggest human rights violators in the world and no call to get involved there. Know why? The one true religion that seems to rule all. "The Almighty Dollar".

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

So now the liberals want us to get involved in Iran? This is very hawkish! Let Iran collapse under the unrest. The politics of the Middle East haven't changed for hundreds of years and any involvement by us has only created hatred.

7tylersclark(182 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

@Stan, who are the liberals wanting to intervene in Iran?
@valleyred, oil has nothing to do with it; it's the nukes. and how exactly are you proposing to "get on the side of the protesters?" be specific--what actions are you suggesting be taken?

8cambridge(2968 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

Tyler...I hope you're not sitting there holding your breath waiting for "Stan the Man Unusual" and "Boy Howdy" to come up with some facts to back up their hallucinations. Asking for facts just ran you blog into a brick wall.

Next time just engage them in some dialogue and watch the train wreck. Stan will go on forever. Your blog will get more hits than an alter boy on retreat.