Columbiana

Poland

Residential
4 bedroom, 7 bath
$999900

« Reason

Ryan in Columbus would help Youngstown

By Tyler S. Clark (Contact)

Published April 7, 2009

Reports surfaced last week that Congressman Tim Ryan is being considered for the post of Lt. Governor when Governor Strickland runs for re-election. Straight to the point: this would be huge for the Valley.

Our biggest problem right now is not at the federal level, though it's no surprise that federal dollars come with mandates that make no sense for cities like Youngstown. From driving residents out of urban areas to fostering suburbian McMansions, federal programs have been favoring sprawl at the expense of that most sensible of lifestyles: dense urban dwelling. Even the dollars that have come to the city have mostly had to be spent on new construction, which of course makes no sense in our current situation.

The state level is where things should be happening for Youngstown and are not. When state dollars get dispersed, they go to Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland. Recently, tech dollars distributed by the state even went to Athens before Youngstown. Why?

Our proximity to Cleveland allows it to act as a fiscal black hole, sucking in all the development dollars under the claim that Youngstown and Akron are part of the Northeast Ohio corridor. Not that we're unhappy to play in the sandbox with others, but when Youngstown is used in a grant proposal as part of an area of service, we'd better see the dollars that result from that grant, or we'd better stop getting included.

Ryan understands this. He would be there to tell Strickland that Youngstown and Akron are not getting dollars that go to Cleveland-based programs. We need to be looked at for our unique issues and funded accordingly. Right now, we don't have adequate representation at the state level. Until this changes, we'll remain on the short bus.

So, who should take Ryan's place if rumors prove true? When I hear Capri Cafaro and Anthony Traficanti mentioned as possible successors, I look around to see who's joking.

Bob Hagan asked this of his Facebook Friends (and I'm sure he's asking his real friends as well): "Strong rumor that our great congressman,Tim Ryan, is running as the Lt. Governor [...] If he runs, I am considering running for his seat...What do you think?"

I think Hagan has a shot. Who else should be in the running?

Comments

1cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years ago

Interesting. I'm not really convinced Ryan as Lt. Gov. would benefit Ytown--seems to me we all thought that Strickland being from the area would make a difference and it really hasn't. As for Hagan, frankly I'm unimpressed--don't see much initiative there or leadership, just a guy who seems to really enjoy the perks of elected office. I'd rather see someone innovative and less a product of the failed politics of the past--someone like you Tyler.

2bobhogue(102 comments)posted 5 years ago

Yes! Draft Tyler! :)

3tylersclark(182 comments)posted 5 years ago

Haha. You all are great. I appreciate the votes of support. My wife would have to be convinced first, unfortunately. In the meantime at least, I'll do what I can from the North side to make a difference. Thanks.

4valleyred(1079 comments)posted 5 years ago

I really need to lead the grassroots effort to bring the Republican Party back in Mahoning County... Reading that last paragraph makes me nod my head in disgust.....

5Woody(451 comments)posted 5 years ago

As much as I am not a fan of Tim Ryan, having him on the appropriations committee in Congress is much more powerful than having him as Lt. Gov.

I thought when we elected Strickland, him being from the Mahining Valley, was going to change things. Opps wait, Strickland is really from Marietta, he just moved to Lisbon because it was politically convienent at the time. Which if I am not mistaken is pretty close to Athens. Wonder why the tech dollars went there?

And as for Hagen, he hasn't done anything in almost 2 decades in Columbus, what makes you think he could do anything in DC?

6boardmanneedschange(364 comments)posted 5 years ago

I nominate Louie B. Free.

7projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 5 years ago

I agree that Ryan would be a bonus for the Mahoning Valley if he was in Columbus vs. DC. As for a successor, we need fresh blood and energy to represent the Valley and, dare I say, a woman for a change.

8cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years ago

Well, I think I'd want a qualified, as you say energetic individual, regardless of the sex, race, gender of said individual. I mean isn't that the greatest lesson of the Obama victory--that its about the talent and the ideas, not the "box" one fits into?

9projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 5 years ago

I stand by what I say. In this area, it is very difficult for women to run for office let alone make it to the congressional arena. I'm not making this up. Just look at our history. I'm sure there are plenty of women who would do a great job but aren't "connected" (or wealthy) enough. As for "boxes", it is a human fact that we box people. "Boxes" exist for a reason and they sometimes benefit us and aren't always a negative. I'm sure many in our area liked learning that Lee Fisher's wife is Italian-American, those of us who are into organics like that Michelle Obama started an organic garden and those of us in Ytown find humor in the "You know you are from Ytown because . . ." e-mails that float around and aren't always flattering. Just my 2 cents as all "comments" are.

10cityguy(109 comments)posted 5 years ago

Yes, G., I agree that "boxes" have benefited society, and while I may disagree with your point, I respect your opinion. As for the problem of not being connected or wealthy enough to run for office, that applies to many, many talented individuals and seems to me a systemic problem across the nation.

11ts1227(137 comments)posted 5 years ago

Any politician elevated to the state level always develops "270 fever" and the world ceases to exist outside of the Columbus I-270 beltway within a matter of months... and it hurts all corners of the state. Unless you live in Central Ohio, it happens, it always happens, and it sucks. For whatever reason, once they get there, that seems to be it.