Youngstown

3 bedroom, 3 bath
$109000

« Project Mom

Allergies from Hell

By Geniene P. (Contact)

Published May 18, 2009

Who can blog when one is having their worst allergy season since growing up here?  Thankfully, I have a sister who has battled our local pollen count for ages and is a walking pharmaceutical book on what works and what doesn't.  Also, I thank the Lord for the pollen count alert on The Weather Channel.

Found out the source of my daugther's ongoing respiratory ails:  allergies.  So, no it wasn't a dirty daycare, germy children or virus.  Turns out her bronchiolitis is brought on by allergies.  After 3 more visits to the pediatrician, turns out her asthma has been triggered by the allergy season.  Thanks to children's Allegra and her inhaler, we are both sleeping better.  I hope she grows out of her allergies as did I when I was a child.  I have to be careful (as we learned at last year's Canfield Fair) when she touches any farm animals or puffy animals (like my Persian cat).  Oh, and note to Canfield Fair organizers - could you buy a bottle of children's Benadryl to have on hand this year instead of adult shots! You would think they would have thought of that little detail after all these years.

As for myself, I really am motivated to garden and landscape like a suburban fiend.  However, I neglected to take into consideration allergy season.  Living in NYC, you would think dirtier air.  However, the amount of foliage in Central Park doesn't even come close to living a few miles away from Mill Creek Park.  Today I am battling a red, watery eye that makes me look like I did a few rounds with Kelly Pavlik.  All I can think about is the blessed pink Benadryl pill that awaits me before bed tonight because the generic Loratadine pill I took doesn't work for a darn like Loratadine D does (talk about speed!).

Which brings me to the lack of writing on my part and my focus on the garden, my battle to bring my landscape into decent condition all while corralling a young child to remain in the backyard with me.  I'm the crazy lady yelling "Stay out of the garden. Don't touch the bees because they are not butterflies. Don't jump in the mud unless you have your boots on! Oh no, you fell in the mud."  Oh, did I mention I'm the crazy lady covered in mud after picking up my child out of the mud puddle that suctioned her rain boots in like cement?  Armed with Claritin D and some Oxy Clean to soak our clothes, I just might survive this spring, allergy season after all.

Comments

1epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

A little off topic but the last bit about corralling a young child is on the money. I had that same problem with my daughter when she was younger. It became so much easier this year now that she's turned 5. She now spends her time trying to help me rake, weed and etc. Seems like they really do go from wild child to assistant gardener overnight.

Best of luck with your 'bit of earth'!

2projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I took it down because I really did not feel like being chastised by a slew of strangers that everyone doesn't go through an escapee child. If you have ever read some of the comments given to these blogs, they can cut to the quick and I have every right to not want to be a punching bag for others. Ironically, two days after I posted that blog CNN reported that a 3 year old got up from sleep, opened a bolted door while his mom was in the other room on the phone and the father was asleep and walked out of the house to be found a couple days later. So, many people go through the escapee child phase whether it is a 2 parent household or one and it seems that we, as parents, can't be mind readers for this jump in development.

3epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Actually, I was just referring to the last paragraph where you mention trying to work in the garden. But you're absolutely right, things can get ugly here in the comments.

4CleverMoniker(26 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

You know, I hadn't planned on saying a word about it but since I was the person that left the comment on your last blog, the person you are obviously talking about, I want to remind you(Geniene) that I was more than civil about it. I left an opinion. You wrote some of your own. I specifically said parents like yourself shouldn't be demonized for these things, but that it also shouldn't be something you need to justify to yourself as being "okay." I even admitted my own negligence in parenting that was born from assumptions on my part.

But of course that article was taken down so quickly I'm sure very few had time to read it.
I still have a link to my comment through my Username Info, but it just says it's linked to "none".

If you want to actually get feedback from people, you should critically analyze what someone writes to you before taking it as a personal attack, and hightailing it rather than face the situation and maybe (just maybe) learning something from it.

5epicfail(217 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

You say that like the other posters would have extended her the same courtesy...

6Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Now going back to allergies. A liberal amount of cigarette smoke triggers my allergies. The pollen I can live with. Indoor air filters can remove most of the pollen in the air. This would help in getting restful sleep.

7projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Stan - Thanks for your comment. I have some plants in the house that are supposed to be natural air filters and good for allergies. I also have two of the air filters you mention. Do they work if your windows are open? I have always wondered about that?

8Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

That would be tantamount to rolling down the windows in your car when the air conditioner was operating. It would be impossible to filter the great outdoors. :)

9MB(2 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

I find it interesting that you took down your "child in the street" post because you didn't want strangers chastizing you on this site, yet you feel the need to do the very same thing when you post random chastizing comments on other items found on the Vindy site - (which often make it quite clear you have no clue about that which you are commenting upon.) If you are going to write for the newspaper you should be willing to "get" as good as you "give". Perhaps you should take this as a lesson learned - people in glass houses, and so on.
As the years go by, you will learn to hold your comments, sometimes until you know all the facts and other times even when you do, because you'll learn that everyone makes mistakes, screws up, has problems and even, occasionally, has a child who sneaks out of the house and into the street.
I, too, thought the poster who scolded you was a little harsh - stings, doesn't it? - ask any parent over the age of 40 and they will all have a story or many stories of what their child or children did that scared the living daylights out of them. They can laugh about it later because said child, and mother, survived and found it wouldn't be the last time something would happen that would scare the life out of them at the time.
Relax and enjoy your child's childhood years - they go by quicker than anyone can tell you and you don't want to look back and think you were too busy being a basketcase to have enjoyed it all.
And, don't be too quick to judge others - now that you know the flip side of that routine.

10OldFashionedMama(77 comments)posted 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey Geniene! Sorry to hear about your allergy troubles. My husband has terrible seasonal allergies. He gets asthma-like symptoms and starts wheezing if he's exposed to leaves (its really the leaf mold that causes the trouble). He uses a nasal spray called Afrin (they also make a generic brand) and if it gets really bad, Singulair.
There is hope for the future, however. I used to suffer with allergies, but as I've gotten older they've gone away. I guess it has something to do with our bodies' cellular structure completely changing every 7 years or so....hopefully they'll be less of an issue for you and your daughter later on.
Also, while it is tempting to use air filters and never open your windows and etc.. you can make your allergies worse by creating an allergen-free "bubble". Don't pick ragweed and decorate your dining room table with it, but don't shy away from a stroll through the field where it grows either.

11northsideperson(365 comments)posted 5 years, 3 months ago

Is this blog still alive?