Poland

5 bedroom, 6 bath
$395000

« Project Mom

Right Now, I Am Proud to Be an American

By Geniene P. (Contact)

Published November 4, 2008

Forgive me for such partisanship but I warned you that I have a detailed Democratic pedigree and am very passionate about politics.  Not only that, I am a new mother who has been worried about her child's future in regards to health care, civil liberties and education.  A business woman who has watched corporate America protect and reward undeserving CEO's and board of directors while laying off their workers due to their incompetent leadership.  They have hurt our economy and destroyed people's retirement accounts.  A human being who has been heart broken over the treatment of our environment for the financial gains of a few.  I have also been horrified over the entire Iraq war fiasco.  And I am global citizen who has had to defend her country when a Republican president has ruined international relations or has had the wonderful experience of sharing our pride when we have had a Democratic president.  I just have to write about the sense of relief I feel, the pride and the hope for our country.

I am relieved that our country has seen past our sordid history of racism to reach such an important pinnacle in evolution.  There is no going back now and that is wonderful.  Like in 1992 when President Clinton won, I am also relieved that we will have a president who will bring the Supreme Court back to center rather than steer it further right and dangerously close to dissolving a woman's choice over her own body.  I am relieved that my child will see a leader through eyes that are color blind and I will try my hardest to keep it that way.

I am just so overwhelmingly proud of our citizens for choosing this direction to take our country.  President Obama has run his campaign with such class and decorum without delving into gutter politics like we continue to see from the Republican party.  It is obvious that we are craving this type of change.

I am hopeful now for our country's future, my child's future and my future.  We all need to come together and support this president and Democratic administration just like Democrats have done when the Republicans are in power.  I cannot say it any better than President Obama did at the 2004 Democratic convention speech "The Audacity of Hope":

"Now even as we speak, there are those who are preparing to divide us -- the spin masters, the negative ad peddlers who embrace the politics of "anything goes." Well, I say to them tonight, there is not a liberal America and a conservative America -- there is the United States of America. There is not a Black America and a White America and Latino America and Asian America -- there’s the United States of America."

What joy to once again have a President that speaks so eloquently, knows the proper usage of English grammar and can set such a wonderful example for our children and for all Americans.

Comments

1lucy(123 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I second everything you just said. It's true that there are a few, very vocal dividers, but from last night's numbers, we can see how few they really are. Obama was elected by a vast majority on both local and national levels. One reporter last night said that in this election, hope won over fear.

Ghandi said, "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."

We've been ignored, ridiculed, and fought, and now we've won.

2Erplane(482 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Geniene - Well, I have to say that as a Republican, I am saddened that McCain lost b/c I believed in him as a person of high character - ugly campaign notwitstanding on both sides. That said, I think President-elect Obama will be a fine president. And if I may say, I think your post goes in the wrong direction than what even Mr. Obama called for in his eloquent speech last night. In his speech, he invoked Lincoln as what I think was a gesture of reaching out to Republicans - very classy (McCain excercised similar class when he said that Obama is his president, and used the Teddy Roosevelt invitation of Booker Washington as a benchmark for progress of American and race). We all know that Bush had failings out the ying-yang, but some of your examples above can be addressed to Clinton as well (CEO compensation was pretty good on his watch, as was the abolishment of Glass-Steagall, which deregulated investment banks, not to mention a few moral lapses that occurred).

I sincerely hope President Obama shows us true leadership as he is inheriting a mess of a mess. But I hope he also demonstrates his ability to truly be centrist - and that includes standing up to his own party leadership in Congress who will be in the mood to avenge itself against its aisle mates on the right (and I am curious if you really mean his Supreme Court picks will be really left, not center). I am a Republican b/c I believe in historical progressive model of the party - the ability for government to empower the individual to succeed, while cognizant of society's needs (ala Teddy R. and Lincoln). McCain was such a man, and unfortunately this ridiculous right-wing of the party caused him to tear apart his ideals to pander. Sad. But I think your post was a bit more gloating than congratulatory. Your other great posts show me that you are certainly above that.

3projectgeniene(87 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

It is difficult to not gloat over such a momentous, historical occasion. I think anyone who supported Obama is deserving of this emotion right now. It has been a very long 8 years with the Bush administration. All of my Democratic friends were truly scared to be hopeful until we heard the news networks declare an Obama victory. I have been very active in politics since a young age, watched the Reagan victory with fear in my young heart and haven't been able to rejoice over a presidential election since the Clinton victory in 1992. I have been in the deep South and sickened and shocked by deep rooted racism. I'm sorry but Democrats deserve to gloat today as every party does the day after.

4s_black(40 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Word.

5oregon(2 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I've never been prouder to be an American than I am right now!
I can't believe it.

6dmets(575 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

I have always been proud to be an American. Obama does not change the way I feel. I just think America is finally seeing things through the eyes of the open minded person.

7Erplane(482 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

Great comment dmets. Trust me, I'm not taking away from the historic moment of it all (I loved when NBC had a classroom poster of all the past presidents, and they all looked very very white). Its phenominal esp b/c most Americans didnt even consider race but they simply voted for candidate they believe in. But I disagree....gloating is bad and goes against Obama and McCain's core message last night that we are all Americans.

8oregon(2 comments)posted 5 years, 10 months ago

yes, my comment and choice had nothing to do with race. My pride in America has dwindled in the past 8 years. I travel all over the world and it's been difficult b/c people associate you with our president and his views until you prove them differently.

9Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The election of Obama is no cure all for the problems that America faces. I see no viable energy plan. Our enemies are still bent on our destruction if the opportunity arises. Weaken our military and we may very well be an occupied country. Liberation then comes at a terrible cost.

So only now? "Right Now, I Am Proud to Be an American."
Most of us Americans have pride that doesn't diminish but edures all that occurs.

10Stan(9923 comments)posted 5 years, 9 months ago

Too bad the Bill Clinton didn't go after Bin Laden with the same gusto as he did the Branch Davidians at Waco with Janet Reno. Obama talks up a storm but he may end up being another Jimmy Carter. The Americans who were held hostage for 444 days may still remember Carter's era.