Pregame thoughts for YSU-Albany
by Joe Scalzo - "A blog about YSU Penguin athletics, not the insides of penguins." (Contact) | 155 entries
1. YSU is trying for its first 3-0 start since 2005. There's been some talk this week about Albany pulling an upset or making this close but I don't see it. If the Penguins can score 31 points against Pitt, I don't see how they won't score at least 40 against the Great Danes.
2. How great is that nickname, by the way? I wish more teams would use dog breeds (besides Bulldogs). How cool would a boxer look on a helmet?
3. I'm biased, though. I own a boxer.
4. Albany is planning to jump from the partial-scholarship Northeast Conference to the full-scholarship Colonial Athletic Association and this game should give the Great Danes an idea of how far away they are from competing in the CAA.
5. I think this is a good matchup for YSU. Albany likes to run the ball, which has been the strength of YSU's defense in the Wolford era. (Last year's Indiana State game being a notable exception.) The Penguins get in trouble against spread offenses that can get their guys out of position, specifically over the middle of the field.
6. My prediction? YSU 42-14.