Published September 1, 2012http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
1. I can't say I'm surprised that YSU is leading Pitt 14-10 at halftime, but I can't say I saw this coming, either. This game looks a lot like last year's Michigan State game, except YSU was able to finish another drive for a score.
2. Consider this: The first two times these teams met, in 2005 and 2009, YSU scored three points TOTAL in 23 possessions and nearly 62 minutes of time of possession.
3. Kurt Hess is 10 of 17 for 127 yards and he's missed a couple throws but his decision-making has been terrific. He's significantly outplaying Pitt QB Tino Sunseri.
4. Now the bad news: YSU's defense hasn't looked good on pass plays and is starting to wear down a bit on run plays. The Penguins have the lead because of a forced fumble on Pitt's first drive and a dropped third down pass on the Panthers' last drive of the half.
5. Heinz Field was less than half full at kickoff. I'm sure part of that is because of the rain but it doesn't look like Pittsburgh is overcome with Panthers fever, either.
6. Can you imagine if Pennsylvania's two premier college football teams lost their openers to lower-level Ohio teams? It's enough to make a Browns fan hopeful.