First quarter thoughts from Heinz Field
by Joe Scalzo - "A blog about YSU Penguin athletics, not the insides of penguins." (Contact) | 155 entries
1. I have no idea why some BCS program hasn't hired Shane Montgomery as its offensive coordinator but I know Youngstown State is thrilled to have him.
Montgomery mixed up the play calls perfectly on YSU's first drive as the Penguins went 79 yards over 10 plays, capped by a 27-yard TD pass from Kurt Hess to Andre Stubbs.
YSU went play action on that touchdown -- it was first down -- and Stubbs broke open over the middle and easily scored.
The Penguins could have scored a few plays earlier but Hess couldn't connect with TE Will Shaw, who had a couple steps deep.
2. Youngstown State's big defensive weakness last year was third down and that has carried over so far. Pitt went 4-for-4 on third downs to start the game and two of them were third-and-long.
3. Pitt's best matchup right now is WR Mike Shanahan (6-5, 225) on YSU CB Dale Peterman (5-10, 180). Too much size for Peterman, who is playing his first real game in nearly two years.
4. The Panthers tied the game with 2:47 left in the first quarter on a 4-yard run by Isaac Bennett. Pitt hasn't had much success running but there's been a lot of secondary breakdowns in the YSU defense.
5. Pitt probably would have scored on its first drive but Dubem Nwadiogbu forced a fumble at the YSU 10 and Jeremey Edwards returned it to the 21, setting up the Penguin scoring drive.
6. Andre Stubbs has looked really good so far.
7. The rain is coming down pretty good and YSU is struggling with its snaps. Could be a factor the rest of the game.