Published September 1, 2012
I'll have more on YSU's big win later tonight. Right now, my brain is a little tired from writing three stories in 90 minutes.
But here's a couple thoughts in the meantime:
1. More than a few people with YSU were talking about how much they like cupcakes after the Pitt News (aka Pitt's student newspaper) called this a "classic cupcake game against the Penguins, Pitt's lowly Football Championship Subdivision opponent." The writer also said the Penguins would need Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin to have a chance and predicted a 34-10 win.
I chuckled when I saw that before the game. Lazy, lazy, lazy journalism by a student who will learn from this, I'm sure.
2. One of the things I remember most from last year's loss to Michigan State was how peeved Eric Wolford was after the game. He repeatedly said he expected to win and repeated that again tonight. It's one of the program's 16 "Fundamentals of Success." I have no idea what the other 15 are.
3. I wrote about this for tomorrow's paper but I'll repeat it here. After the game, former YSU athletic director Joe Malmisur -- who hired Jim Tressel and oversaw the program from 83-94 -- called this the biggest win of his lifetime.
"That win over Georgia Southern at Georgia Southern [in 1991] was pretty big," he said. "This is the best victory I've seen in my lifetime."
4. I predicted YSU would lose 31-17. At least I got the score right.
5. I also said YSU would probably win 1 out of 10 against Pitt. I did not get that right. The Penguins were the better team today, no question.
6. My 9-2 prediction for YSU's season seemed bold a few hours ago. I might be selling them short.
7. It's going to be hard not to look ahead to that first conference game at home against UNI on Sept. 22. Northern Iowa nearly beat Wisconsin today, losing 26-21. Pretty nice day for the Missouri Valley.