Youngstown

« Just Asking

Where do I sit?

By Kim Boccia (Contact)

Published June 10, 2012

Untitled document

Untitled document

I am now a parent raising two kids in the small town that I was raised in. I know a lot of people and have different groups of friends. Some I know through my kids, some I went to school with and some I just happened to meet along the way.

I am always finding myself in an awkward situation when I go to a school event for one of my kids. I never can decide where to sit when I walk into a room full of spectators and a lot of them are my friends.

When I walk into the room, do I stop and observe the stands as if I’m picking out a magazine?

“No, not that one.“

“I like the looks of that one, but maybe there’s something better."

“That one is really interesting, but not as popular as the others.“

And then have the “ah ha moment” where I make my final decision and go in for the purchase.

Or, do I try to act like I’m looking at my phone and not make direct eye contact with anyone until I sense where my final destination is?

One friend of mine goes out of her way to get there early so she sits first and let’s everyone else make the awkward entrance.

There have been times where I have moved around to make sure I spent ample time with each friend and actually missed out on my child’s activity! I guess I could just sit by myself.

There have also been those times where I’d like to sit with a particular person and I think, does she want me to sit next to her or is she thinking, Oh God, please don’t let her sit here?

What is the right protocol for entering a crowded room? I have to say this isn’t something I lose sleep over, but it is a question that I’m sure a lot of us would like to know the answer to.

Just asking…

(Kim enjoys hearing from her readers. Add your 2 cents on the topic at hand by emailing her at kimsjustasking@yahoo.com.)

Comments

1smokey(2 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

It's so funny how similar our thought processes are. These little anxiety moments usually start on the way to the event for me, lol. If I don't go with someone else or have a seat saved beforehand, I now pause and scan the area for an empty spot. I then proceed to that seat and acknowledge my friends in the process. If it's an event that allows me to move freely about, I will go visit with friends. If not, I will touch base with them afterwards.

2KellyCali(2 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Hi Kim. Congrats on your new blog! We went to school together for many years.... Best of luck to you!

3debE(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Hahahahaha! Or how about the seats that are "invisibly reserved" that we just don't know about!
That just adds another layer of complication:}
Congrats Kim!

4richl1969(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Kim, nobody cares where you sit. Nobody that is actually there for their children want to have to listen over a bunch of chatty hens so just pick a spot where you can see your child, be quiet and enjoy the event. If you feel the need for a social gathering then take it outside or actually host an event where you can invite the people that are good enough to speak to you. Hope that answers your question as I am dumber for having read that article.

5mediamom(1 comment)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Wow! You really you care about where you sit? What is this the school cafeteria? When I go to school functions it is for my children not the popularity group save that for outside of school. I think there are more important things to worry about. If you are that worried perhaps you might want to take a look at the importance you place on things. I totally agree with Rich1969. it is hard to believe there are adults who worry about such trivial things especially parents.

6kimboccia(8 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Smokey-the hardest part is when two people you're friends with, aren't friendly with each other, not only are you torn, but it's awkward.

Kelly, Thanks for reading, and I hope you got a chuckle out of it.

Rich and MediaMom-More power to ya. Try to relax a little and have some fun. I'm sure you wouldn't have these issues because you seem confident in you decisions. We should all be a little more like that...or should we??

7KellyCali(2 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Hi Kim. Yes, we graduated together in 87. We're also friends on FB. =)

8oldskool(97 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Rich and Media are totally right, is it about you or your child or are you the child. friggin soccer mom drama. where to sit?