Sorry, no featured properties currently.

« Brain food from the heartland

What Would Volney Rogers Say ?

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published June 29, 2014

Untitled document

I've re-written this piece too many times.
I've decided to opt for brevity.

Needless to say, but, I honestly believe that I have been the most enthusiastic supporter of Mill Creek Park than any other individual in the media.

I am horrified that  OUR Mill Creek Park & government agencies collaborated in the slaughter of geese. (btw,  a slaughter for which  I received a press release the day AFTER other media received theirs)

The actual slaughter was hidden from the media.

I was able to find national experts to address the issues and alternatives to slaughter,  related to geese and have them live, on my show, within hours.

Whether this was a 'knee-jerk' reaction to golfers complaining or an honest assessment of a problem, obviously I do not believe we'll know the truth.
What I DO know is that I'm not the only one who's horrified and outraged.

I also know this was more of a 'look what we did, than a thoughtful coming together of MCPark - lovers to find a solution....once again, if I, with a staff of ONE could find NATIONAL EXPERTS regarding these issues,who, by the way had more effective solutions as well as more humane ones (these were slow, and painful deaths)....where was the board and management of MCP?

This is a  desecration of a sanctuary !

When we visit Mill Creek Park, we're VISITING nature's HOME.
This was a HOME INVASION and wholesale slaughter.
Park management and board members are TEMPORARY custodians, temporary CARETAKERS.

I KNOW MCP management and some board members want to , quickly, put this behind them....I ASSURE you, I will NOT !!!

Comments

1lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 3 weeks ago

What to Do About Canada Geese

Killing nuisance geese is not the answer

2pgurney(282 comments)posted 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you for speaking out about this atrosity, Louie!

3lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Peggy b., thank YOU.....and , I WILL continue!

4marcikarr(9 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Louie: I will try to repost this on Save the Wildlife in Mill Creek Park on Facebook. Check out the site, lots of comments and many plan to attend the next board meeting July 14 6:00 at Fellows. This is the letter I wrote to the board and director: There were pictures of the geese at Newport Wetlands that I took last week. Those geese are gone.

A letter to the park director, the board or whoever was part of the decision to kill all the geese: I took these pictures less than a week ago, I kayak almost every day in the park, I bike every day, we walk our dog in the park every day. We are very lucky to live next to the park. I grew up playing in Mill Creek Park, my dad grew up playing in the park, he played for Walter Scholl's championship baseball team. Mill Creek Park has been a part of my life for my whole life. I've read The Green Cathedral, have any of you board members read it? Dennis, do you ever read anything, do you ever go in the park, other than playing golf. Do you care about anything in the park that isn't connected to making money? Did you ever see how many people enjoy watching the geese at the Lily Pond, Lake Glacier and the Newport Wetlands. I enjoy all of the wildlife in the park, and have never had any problems with the geese, or any other animal living in the park. I take pictures every day all year of the wildlife, the birds, the flowers, the lakes, the sunsets, Lanterman's mill. I watched the new goslings growing, every time I kayaked I would see the same geese families feeding near the water down at the wetlands. They are all gone. I tell everyone who talks badly about Youngstown that the best thing about Youngstown is Mill Creek Park. You have changed how I feel.

5marcikarr(9 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I couldn't fit the whole letter above, here's the rest: I know you are reading the comments on the social media sites, so you know I am not the only one who is sad, upset and angry over the decision you made to slaughter over 200 geese. I am aware that there was a problem with too many geese, but I also know there were many other options, I've read what the Humane Society suggests, and they say that killing the geese is not the right answer, I know there is a company right here in Ohio that works with communities dealing with the overpopulation of the geese. So I do realize something had to be done, but I do not think that the park, even though you have stated you exhausted all other measures, I do not believe that is true. I also feel that the way this was done, without giving the public, the people who use this public park, some information ahead of time about the problem, about the measures that were taken and also about what you were planning on doing, was a very poor decision and people who make poor decisions that affect so many other people, should be held accountable. I hope all of you know this is not going to go away, it is not going to just die down and everyone will just forget about it, until the next time you decide to kill defenseless animals where they live. How you thought you could do this, without an uproar from the people who love the park and the wildlife in the park, shows what a thoughtless, arrogant decision it was. How you thought the people who help to pass the levies, that attend your fund raisers, that support the park in many other ways, how you thought they would still want to continue to do that when you made a decision like this, shows you really just don't care about those people at all. And now they do not care about you. I'm sure you've read some of the comments people are making saying they will no longer be supporting the park, voting for levies, or attending park functions anymore. Your decision caused this, and also caused negative publicity for Youngstown again. There will be a lot of people looking for answers from the board and the director at your next meeting
Marsha Ford Karzmer
. "Compassion for animals is intimately connected with goodness of character; and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." - Schopenhauer

6lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Marsha, thank you for posting your powerful letter.
I'll read it on today's show.

7CountryGirl51(207 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

There is no justification in killing the geese ! They along with all the other animals were here long before we made a step in the park ! This is their home, just as much as any other park. God created animals for a reason. I go to the park to see nature at its best. Do they want to take nature away from our park !?

8lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

CountryGirl5
on tomorrow's show:

Lynsey White Dasher
Director, Humane Wildlife Conflict Resolution
The Humane Society of the United States
on tomorrow's BrainFood
and PETA Cruelty casework associate manager Kristin Simon

9lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Lori A Wagner Klesch :
To me there is no justification in killing those geese. They and all the other animals were there long before we made a foot step. If we cant go to the park to see nature then what is there !

Lori A, thank you!
~Louie b.

10walter_sobchak(1977 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not just a temporary custodian of MCP, I am a taxpayer that supports MCP. These rats with wings were making the park unusable and dangerous. SInce these geese are supposed to migratory but have taken up permanent resident status, they are no longer "wild"life. I believe the board made a reasonable, cost-effective solution to a major problem. I drove Lake Glacier on Monday and, of all things, I still saw Canada geese! They must have missed a few! Check back in a year to see if they have re-populated the lakes. Now, what about the fish and other aquatic life living in these bodies of water that are filled with excessive silt and high fecal coliform levels? Do you understand what BOD is and what effect a high level of it has on a body of water? The park lakes smell like a sewage plant and need dredged or aerated. I wish the board would do something about that so that the park is even more useful and healthy. About all these lakes can support now are carp, bullhead and turtles. Some people have watched one too many Disney movie. Sometimes, Bambi must be culled from the herd!

11janeyblue3(68 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Next will be the bunnies. Then chipmunks and squirrels. Cardinals and red winged black birds. After all they poop too.
Then the board will have to post big signs at every entrance and throughout the park stating "THIS PARK IS A POOP FREE ZONE ! VIOLATORS WILL BE GASSED !"
I have not voted for one of their levies in years, and now I surely never will.

12questionreality(359 comments)posted 5 months, 2 weeks ago

We live in a world where freezers and grocery stores foster the illusion that life sustains itself without taking other life. Lives that even vegans indirectly take as the growing and harvesting of organic produce kills deer, birds, snakes, rodents, and insects.

13lbf(153 comments)posted 5 months, 1 week ago