Canfield

3 bedroom, 4 bath
$335000

Poland

Residential
3 bedroom, 5 bath
$179900

« Brain food from the heartland

PLEASE, Wish Me a Merry Christmas !

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published December 12, 2013

Untitled document
I'm a Merry Christmas guy. When people say "happy holiday", I'm not sure - are they referring to  Christmas, Chanukah, Omisoka, Dia de Reyes(Los Tres Reyes Magos) or Zartusht-No-Diso. Okay, yes, I'm a Jew,I understand the 'sensitivity' of the 'happy holiday's' thing, but come on. Let us , at the very least, enjoy what SHOULD be the spirit of Christmas. No, no, of course not the obscene commercialism, but that child-like sense of wonder when they see a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, sparkling lights adorning homes, warm greetings, hot  chai, and CHARITY...people feeding and clothing hungry, cold, folks & donating time and dollars. Saying 'Merry Christmas", at least to me, is a wonderful wish and blessing, and should be to ANYONE receiving those words !
Yeah, I'm a Jew. I don't celebrate religious Christmas, but, I love the lights,sounds,  smells and, mostly,  the people who use that special Christmas Key to open that special part of their hearts this time 'o year.
A Christmas tree in my house? "You betcha"(thanks, Sarah) ! I wouldn't be without one, and, yeah, a live one ! You don't know Christmas tree happiness until you see a Jew, not raised with a tree, light up when the tree's lights sparkle in his (or her) eyes  and that pine scent permeates the air !
Do I recycle the tree just  after Christmas---absolutely NOT !!! Well, not till WAY after Christmas

my wife (early January): " how about taking the tree down and getting it recycled?"
me: "no way!..not yet, she's still drinking water !"

my wife (mid January):  " how about taking the tree down and getting it recycled?"
me: "no way, she's still drinking a bit and not a lot of needles are falling ..yet"

my wife (early February): "the tree's now a fire hazard"
me,reluctantly: "ok"

I will share this with you, when we first put up a tree, we received an anonymous letter saying "...we cannot believe that you Jews would be so disrespectful to put up a Christmas tree..." to which I responded by running out in the front yard with the letter in hand screaming "..and Merry Christmas to ALL !!!!!...."

So, to you, as I said then, MERRY CHRISTMAS , and , if you see me, PLEASE, say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" !

Comments

1pgurney(270 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS my friend!

2lau1959(1 comment)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Merry Christmas Louie! Wishing you and your family all the best.

3lbf(142 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

thank you, BOTH!

4lbf(142 comments)posted 7 months, 1 week ago

Chinese Food on Christmas

5godandcountry(13 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Nope, nope, nope. I believe you're wrong on this, brother. First, people get all bent out of shape about a fictional "war on Christmas" that such secular greetings as "Happy Holidays" seem to represent. There is no war on Christmas, and I'm not going to feed that myth by saying, "Oh, I guess you all are right, it's silly of me to object to 'Merry Christmas.'" Nope, not gonna play that game.

Second, and this is a point I believe many people don't understand, is the very phrasing of the greeting. When you say "Merry Christmas," you are telling ME to have a merry Christmas. It's an imperative phrasing. I've seen "guides" that include, for example, the instruction for Jewish cashiers to say "Happy Hanukkah" and African Americans to say "Happy Kwanzaa," if they want to.

But what point, exactly, is there to a Jewish cashier wishing a Christian customer a "Happy Hannukah"? And since a cashier typically DOESN'T KNOW a person's holiday affiliations, it's always risking a bit of alienation or awkwardness to do that.

I know I'm in the minority, but this country was founded in part on the belief that we ought to at least give minority viewpoints a hearing. People will always say, "What's the BIG DEAL?" That's not a good argument for anything.

Here's my suggestion: "Have a nice day." And, if you feel compelled to wish the person a happy whatever, at least find out first what they celebrate. That's no big deal, right?

6lbf(142 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

God & Country,
Have a nice day !!!!!!
LbF

7godandcountry(13 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks! You, too!

8laurelthevoice(5 comments)posted 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I waited until New Year's Day to post this comment because I want to wish Louie a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR ! I also hope he has many nice days in 2014! To me the meaning of Christmas is as Louie said it is the season of giving and happiness. Giving of oneself to others is a very important part of this time of year and I happen to carry it throughout the entire year. More people should do the same. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas regardless of their beliefs because I care about them and want them to know it. Political correctness is not the reason for this season ..... loving mankind is.