Youngstown

Residential
3 bedroom, 3 bath
$109000

« Brain food from the heartland

Oh Fathers, Where Art Thou?

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published June 19, 2012

I could begin this piece with a lot of statistics regarding absent fathers, do - nothing dads, one deposit - no return males, but, nah....

Let me begin with a racist riddle from the 60s:

Q) What's the definition of MASS CONFUSION ?

A) Father's day in Harlem

not funny,-eh?

Ah, but that was then and this is now.

Yeah, yeah, yeah (hmmm, sounds like the refrain from and old song) I know, I KNOW there are some extraordinary single mom's out there, but that's just the point, EXTRAORDINARY EXTRA-ORDINARY. When I say I know, I actually DO KNOW some of those moms. AH,some of my best friends are extraordinary moms... and they  do amazing jobs with their kids.

This city is littered, yeah, littered with the kids that these so-called men have abandoned . The kids that have been tossed aside. Ok, maybe some guy comes around to get a fried steak and a few minutes of private time with mom. Maybe she'll tell him "that was your daddy" -  he's not. A daddy is there for the bad times. Dad's there to teach you manners and baseball. Dad helps balance mom and mom helps balance dad , and when there is no dad , it makes it hard for the best mom to balance.

Remember this quote from the movie Tombstone:

"a man like Ringo has a great big hole,right in the middle of him. He can never kill enough ,steal enough or inflict enough pain to fill it."

That's the middle of a lot of young 'would-be' men. They really  would be men if only they had someone, preferably some man in their life to love them, to help show them the way, some man to help them up when they fall down, to  hold them when they cry, to scream "that's MY boy" when they do good, and some man to help them back on track when they derail.

Yes, my listening audience knows that my father was far from the man I describe above, but for all his failings, I still learned manners, respect, I saw a man that loved and protected his wife, and learned a lot about the man I didn't want to be, too. At least I had  a yard stick to measure by...many of the boys today have their self-worth tied up in bad knots that tell them the measure of a man is what their fathers were, one-deposit, no return.

The silence is deafening, except when a bullet cuts them down, we hear them screaming on the ground, and somewhere else, the screams of a newborn, maybe his, and it starts all over again...

Comments

1CongressWatcher(167 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Well state Louie. I am a father. It hurts me to think that I work so hard to provide for, mentor, and love my children and there are male species out there that do nothing but make a quick genetic contribution and move on. Then they leave a child and mixed up family out there for me to pay for as well.

This must stop!

2CongressWatcher(167 comments)posted 2 years, 4 months ago

Correction: Well stated Louie

3UticaShale(854 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Invoke Martial Law in the City where the root of the problem is. Find the fathers through DNA testing, round them up and give them to the workers of America to apply forced labor to feed their offspring. Yes, you know this is true and what is needed, but politics today will never give up the inner City vote, but will only continue the buying of votes with subsistence.

4UticaShale(854 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

There you go again, this is why you keep getting banned here rustedhole, calling someone a fool and telling half truths about them. Who are you to insinuate I support planned parenthood?

If you use your real identity, you would either be punched or sued in court. This is why soon the Vindy will have to mandate identity, free speech comes with the onus of one backing up what they spew. I have to go to work now and this is all the energy you get for a day from us producers.

5UticaShale(854 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

If 57% of Youngstown's population is on welfare and in 1996 Ohio works became law, where are the receipients working for their subsidy today? I suspect several here should be working and not promoting Greece here. Let's continue the socialist march towards economic meltdown and then we will see what poverty is really about since true poverty does not exist in the US.

6oldskool(97 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Well as a taxpaying employed FATHER of an out of wedlock child whom the courts, lawyers and police will not assist or enforce the visitation rights that have been court ordered, I can somewhat understand why this has became such a problem. It does not matter that my child support is current or that my daughter would like to spend more time with me, the fact is that the system is so out of touch with the minority (guys like me who do what it takes to be a DAD) that it runs the guys who who may take on the DAD challenge away. I have spent thousands of dollars (which could have been alocated to a college fund) on lawyers and wasted court visits just to get nothing more in return than the mother to do what SHE wants. So if we are going to try to change something, lets look into helping out the FATHERS by giving them half a dam* chance to be involved and be a DAD!

7UticaShale(854 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Thank you Vindy.

You are finally going to draw in the producers and makers in this backwards City. Eliminating the Trolls on this historic newspaper will allow us all in the community to grow. Free speech as long as one backs it up with facts and education, and accountability must always be inforced.

8coffeeman(4 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Amen to oldskool, when a child is born out of wedlock and the father wants to be a DADDY the fight is on. Ohio needs to make BIG changes in their laws to protect the men who want to be DADDY'S in their childs life.
There are men out here that want equal time with thier child they dont want not be just a every other weekend Dad. Ohio needs to become a FAIR STATE when it comes to the Father's Rights.
Don't always assume that a man is a deadbeat dad because you don't know what it cost to fight for the right of a father trying to be a DADDY. Some children may be better off with the father than the mother.

9oldskool(97 comments)posted 2 years, 3 months ago

Finally, another guy who cares! thanks coffeeman! however there is not much more we can do but wait out the system. Our kids have a voice and a mind no matter how much the mother trash talks us! I only wish our children were not the ones who suffer.