Columbiana

2 bedroom, 2 bath
$134900

Poland

Residential
4 bedroom, 7 bath
$999900

« Brain food from the heartland

NITRO'S FLAW - If Only Nitro Was A Racetrack...

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published June 27, 2011

OHIO HOUSE FAILS  OHIO COMPANION ANIMALS AGAIN

FOR NOW OHIO REMAINS A HAVEN FOR ANIMAL ABUSERS

If Nitro was a racetrack instead of a loving companion animal(dog), a family member,  who was starved to death, maybe Representative Ron Gerberry would have 'fast-tracked' him through. If Nitro had been a campaign contributor, maybe Representatives Gerberry ,Hagan, Democrats AND Republicans  would have found a way to get Nitro's Law enacted before 'summer recess'----that's correct: Ohio's imploding, yet our (well)salaried 'representatives' have a recess......... RECESS! (early July - early September).

Dogs and cats - companion animals, don't attend campaign fund raisers , nor can they make donations to campaigns, pound signs, make calls, etc.......AH, but GAMBLING ! SLOT MACHINES ! HORSE RACES ! --NOW WE'RE TALKING REAL MONEY.

Gee, did you really think 'it's' about doing the right thing for we-the-people , not me, the office holder? I'm told there are a lot of independent business owners in Austintown that are quite upset by the recent racetrack-fast tracking....but why represent the people's interest when you can represent your own? AH! 'cause it's the right thing to do! -but, that seems like something our representatives let go of long ago...SELF-INTEREST+MONEY - now THAT'S something they know how to represent.....

The saying "Never Again" grew out of the Holocaust, out of the concentration camps where loved ones were starved to death(among other horrors). Many in THIS state of Ohio hoped that our legislators would do everything possible to prevent another concentration camp like Steve Croley's High Caliber K9 to go unpunished...but, Nitro's not a campaign,money-producing racetrack, oh, and after all, it IS time for RECESS !!!!

Salary: $60,584 + benefits(approx 20k in retirement, health ins, 10 paid holidays, etc)

Comments

1ohioanimallover(18 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Great article! First off, I am extremely embarrassed to be from, and live in, the state of Ohio. We pay these people to do their job, and they can't even do it! They told the Nitro's Law supporters (which there needs to be MORE of!) at the last hearing that this and that needed to be changed or fixed and that they needed to provide such and such information and proper definitions of a Licensed kennel owner. Not only is Google a FREE option when needing to look something up- but they dont even know the proper definitions for the state of Ohio. Why make the citizens work harder when you also have assistants who follow you around 24/7. They don't realize that animal abusers/torturers are the ones who get sick of animals, and move on to women, children, and elderly..passing his law can't do ANYTHING but good for the people AND animals in the state of Ohio!!!

2Mommymafia007(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Youv'e got to be kidding me.......AGAIN! Ohio is harboring Animal Abusers the way Pakistan harbored Bin Laden!

3AndreaLyn(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we should march on the capitol with all of our animals. Would they take notice then? Would they listen? Its hard not to be discouraged and I am sure that's what they want. We will not stop until Nitros Law is passed.

4luvsdogs(69 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I've followed this tragedy from the beginning just as you have Lou and you hit the nail right on the head. We won't stop till Nitro's Law is passed. I refuse to vote for anyone that doesn't work their butts off and get this bill passed. I'll be sure to tell all my co-workers, friends and family not to vote for them either and the reasons why. We're all huge animal lovers and we've had enough! That's not a threat, it's a promise!

5PARbigdogs(7 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

In 2008 Steve Croley of Youngstown Ohio STARVED 12 DOGS (7 to DEATH) and walked away with a slap on the wrist. As a result, NITRO's Law was born. Nearly 3 years after the murder of Nitro, and many years advocating for tougher Animal Cruelty laws, they’ll go on “holiday” until September and it hasn’t even made it out of the Criminal Justice Committee! In last Wednesday's hearing re: HB108 Rep Young (R-63) asked if this has ever occurred in the State of OH (keep in mind he was present when Nitro’s family testified at the last hearing).

How many more animals will die at the hands of abusers? How many more will be neglected, starved, beaten, tortured, mutilated before our legislatures do ANYTHING about it? This isn’t about “big government”, nor is it about crimes against people as some ‘canned’ responses would have you think (although studies do show that it is almost impossible for one to be cruel to animals and kind to humans).

As I continue to try to wrap my mind around why our elected officials don’t want to strengthen Animal Cruelty Laws in Ohio, I have 2 hypotheses:
1) They are animal abusers themselves [sic]
2) Animals don’t vote.

We DO (vote) however, and the time is now! On behalf of our Ohio animals, send your messages loud and clear to the 129th General Assembly.

6mollylm(16 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Since they are scheduled to be in session until July 1, the Criminal Justice Committee certainly could have stuck around long enough to bring this to a vote, after 3 hearings. I wonder how many of us can take off a week early for vacation and still have jobs to come back to?
We're not asking them to set some kind of standard in abuse law. We're just asking that Ohio move towards laws that are already in place in 45 other states!
I'll be spending the next two months getting word out about Ohio's embarrassingly lenient companion animal cruelty laws and we'll be ready to fight again when they are back in session. Let's just hope in the meantime no other abuse horror stories hit the news. I'm sure the same people who couldn't be bothered to move this bill forward will be falling over themselves with excuses if something like this happens in their districts.

7amgolias(8 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree, I am extremely embarrassed to be from, and live in, the state of Ohio. This state acts like we are living in 1711 not 2011. As a state we are so backward thinking when it comes to progress and forward thinking covering many topics. People here still think you should tie a dog to a tree, and let the cat population exploded on the farm to take care of the rodent issues. We embrace and brag about our Amish population and their medieval ways of living, but we ignore the way they treat their animals. Hey Ohio…it is time to step into the year of 2011 and let go of all this “backward conservative” thinking about animals. It is barbaric!
People vote for a candidate for many reasons…but now I find myself only wanting to vote for an elected official that cares about animals…and not their campaign contributions they receive. I think it speaks volumes about a person's character the way they treat an animal.
“ohioanimallover” you are so on when you say that a person that mistreats and abuses animals will then place those torturous actions on innocent humans as well. A sick and tortured mind that does that to an animal…is the same sick and tortured human that will definitely do it to other humans.

Please elected officials...pass Nitro's law...and ban dog auctions in Ohio! Thank you!

8JRobet(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I am truly disappointed that after all the testimony, pictures, calls, emails, and support from Ohioans, around the United States and the world, this bill is still sitting at the House Criminal Justice Committee. There is no excuse for any animal, let alone a companion animal, to be starved to death by their guardian. Furthermore, there is no excuse why this bill still has not been made law. We must hold violent animal abuses accountable for their actions and the only way to do so is stiffer penalties. To the Ohio legislatures, please do not disappoint those who have voted you into office. We trusted that you would help make our communities safe for our children and our animals!!

9BarbG(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

We are watching from New York. I hope the Ohio legislatures make the right decision. What was done to Nitro and his kennel mates is so sick and this should never be let to happen again!!
VOTE YES ON NITRO'S LAW HB 108

10Marti(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm also embarrassed to live in Ohio. We're 6th highest for puppy mills and one of the few states that doesn't treat cruelty as a felony. Why is there so much "red tape" to go through to pass a law that makes perfect sense? A law that's a "no brainer"? How much time would it have taken for our legislators to pass this law? What are they afraid of? What did they work on instead of working on this? Perhaps we, those of us who want a more humane state, need to start contributing major sums of money to campaigns. Maybe that's the only way to see change. Sadly, I'm sure Nitro's law supporters don't have that kind of money. What we can spare we use to help dogs, cats, and other pets. Ohio needs to get its act together.

11jordanb(8 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for keeping this story in the news. It is unacceptable to me that animals continue to be abused and neglected with no legal protections. What has to happen before this issue is taken seriously?

12DRoddy(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm also one of those who are embarrassed to live in the state of Ohio. What kind of state makes it OK for someone to abuse an animal? What kind of state looks the other way when someone starves animals to death? What kind of state ignores when someone is performing sexual acts with innocent animals? OHIO! That's the state that does this stuff! This state NEEDS stronger laws for people who abuse animals. If you do your research, you will also see that most people that abuse animals, move on to abusing children and other human beings. Will you look the other way THEN? After it's already too late?? Get your priorities straight, Ohio.

13CathyStrait(3 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

What a disgrace Ohio lawmakers have become. They make the state and it's lack of cruelty laws appear like it's a third world country. This is 2011 and Ohio is part of a union where most states recognize cruelty in any form is wrong. But wait...doesn't Ohio still have puppy mills? I am wondering who pads the pockets of the useless politicians? Ohio lawmakers and their lack of empathy to any voiceless being is not acceptable. Vote these people out of office. Shame on you, it's a no brainer.

14HeyJude(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

BOYCOTT ALL RACETRACKS IN OHIO!!!! Why? Because someone FORGOT to vote for Nitro's Law! Someone was TOO BUSY lining their pockets with the promises of gambling and racetrack money! Way to go Ohio Legislatures! We need to stop the abuse of animals in Ohio and you guys go on HOLIDAY!
Nitro's Law just make sense! If we truly want to stop abuse we need laws to deter the abuser!
Nitro was one of 12 DOGS STARVED (7 to DEATH) and the moron that did this, walked away as if he did nothing wrong. Hence NITRO's Law was created. How can this group of Ohio Legislator's think it's OKAY to go on their “holiday” until September and it hasn’t even made it out of the Criminal Justice Committee?! As a taxpayer in Ohio, rest assure I will will remember when I vote who was busy VACATIONING on the taxpayer tit!
OKAY OHIO I challenge YOU to CHANGE! Pressure your Ohio State Representative to change the animal abuse laws. Flood them with calls, emails and letters! Don't turn your back on the animals. The real shame is the Judges and Police can not truly enforce these outdated laws! Give them the tools to fight these criminals like STEVE CROLEY from Youngstown, Ohio, who KILLED Nitro! I'll never give up and I will never forget NITRO!

15CathyStrait(3 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

So let me get this straight...they put through a bill that makes money for the state but couldn't vote on the integrity of Nitro's law. That speaks volumes about who is in office. So happy my Gov. Quinn, whom I may not like his politics has the best laws in the country about animal abuse. Wake up Ohio!

16Eddie71(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

This is backward, uncivilized, and immoral. I am ashamed to be from Ohio and ashamed to be 'represented' by a bunch of lazy bums and cowards. Do your jobs!

17ThoughtsFurPaws(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I am appalled. Thats all I can say...

18JoanneD(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

The members of the Criminal Justice Committee were sent videos of the attrocities committed against Nitro and his kennel mates, yet several members had no idea they had received these videos, let alone actually watched them. How can we expect elected officials to competently represent the citizens they are paid to represent, if they remain uneducated and ill informed relative to issues they are charged with evaluating and voting on?! What happened to Nitro and his kennel mates is one of the most eggregious attrocities and betrayals of trust that I can imagine. And it must be noted and remembered that the lives of their humans have been forever altered and changed. Not only did they lose their beloved companions (note I said "companions" and not "property"), but they are left with intrusive images of the horror inflicted upon their beloved pets by a man whom they entrusted to care for their precious animals. Those images do not receed, folks. They last for far longer than 4 months. The heartache goes on for them as it does for the rest of us who understand the unique bond between human and animal, and the fact that one does not need to be human to endure tremendous suffering and torture...to feel pain...to wish for comfort and food...to wish to live. Nitro will NEVER be forgotten, nor will his kennel mates....starved within eyesight of this monster's home. I implore you to write your legislators and let them know that you support Nitro's Law...let them know that you vote...let them know that Ohio needs to join the vast majority of other states who hold perpetrators of animal abuse and cruelty accountable by charging them with a felony crime. We will not stop. Nitro's death will not, cannot, have been in vain!

19CathyStrait(3 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

"I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. I have done something," He replied. "I created you."

20SylviaK(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Ohio! We are also watching your response from Australia! I am beginning to understand some things that are not pleasant about the US, and top of the list is Ohio's inaction on Nitro's Law. Is this inaction your true beliefs coming out? Are you really so consumed by the love of money that you really care more about money making than the lives and welfare of your citizens and their companion animals? Even if you have no personal interest in this bill, wake up and realise that the people who do care and who put you into your positions can just as easily take you out of them. It is time to do the right thing and get this bill prioritised and passed. How many of you will come back after your long recess and claim you need to start the process again because you can't remember what happened and time has dulled your memories .... not to mention your common sense! How many more inoccent animals will have to be tortured and die before you realise the writing is on the wall for you? You need to act now, before it's too late and before other animals, and possibly the human victims of the perpetrators as well, cry out from their loneliness and pain to be heard. Get moving and do what you all must know is right.

21MrsFarmer(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

This is a total shame. I have leaned that when it comes to the people running the states that they are only concerned of what they are going to get out of it and what will be going in their pockets. It is a fact that most people that abuse animals grow up to be abusers to women and children. To me the most important thing is my animals that are my children due to the fact that I can't have any children of my own. I would be offended myself as a parent to furbabies. People with human kids don't want others mistreating their kids. I am so for the NItro's Law because Nitro's parents are helping to me to speak out and protect MY children.My advise for those that live in Ohio stop support the representatives until your voices get heard. Nitro's Law is more important than a race track. The representatives in Ohio are just wasting hard working peoples money. Those of us that are proud to be Nitro Supporters the war has only just begun, but don't give up on his law. If you give up on Nitro's Law we might as well give up on all animals, but my babies are too important for me to sit back and watch Nitro's Law go down in vain. Ohio representatives have a HOT place in hell with their names on it. Nitro's Law Supporter from NC.

22Ladydayy(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

As a resident of Ohio for the past 21 years and a lifetime owner of Rotties this story did particular damage to my heart. I am, for one, ashamed to be a resident of a state that does not feel it is imparitive to properly punish such sick individuals. This type of behavior should not and will not be tolerated by those of us who stand for the protection of animals. Drastic measures need to take place NOW. I will continue to fight for the justification of animals until the day I die. RIP Nitro, your death will not be in vain, you sweet, sweet, angel.

23LoriF(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes voters care about revenue - but voters care equally, if not more so, about issues of morality. Why can't our representatives do the economic and social-issues work, such as voting on and passing Nitro's Law, that's needed in our community? Are issues of the soul, of right vs. wrong, not an investment in our future? Is having our representatives address criminal justice matters and laws protecting the citizens and their families - including their four-legged family members - an unreasonable expectation? We deserve, expect and demand better.

24logic(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

It's all about the money. "Show me the money," say the elected "representatives". And sadly this is what they claim their voters want > a racetrack.

If you vote for these people again, then you agree with their money politics.

25ctamburrino(5 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Torture and abuse should not be condoned via weak legislation. There's no reason why felony charges aren't an option. With only 5 states that do not have felony charges for abuse, I don't understand why Ohio representatives aren't disturbed that they are allowing these types of individuals to continue to mingle freely in society with their constituents and family members with little repercussions for their behavior. If money and personal agendas are the only thing that can motivate representatives, perhaps they should consider the safety of their own families living in the same communities as these violent abusers since they feel no responsibility for the pain and suffering endured by dear, companion "animal" family members.

26ohioanimallover(18 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't think the legislators realize that these people will move on to 'bigger and better things' after animals. They can truely be the next victim of these crazy, sick people and just not know it. This bill protects ANIMALS and PEOPLE!

27ThinkNot(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

The people in office never cease to shock the heck out of me. I just cannot comprehend how they can be proud of the jobs they are doing. How do they go home at night and look at their families with pride, knowing they sell their souls to the highest bidder on a daily basis? How do they decide to fast track a bill that capitalizes on animals and turn their backs on a bill which would protect them? Do they seriously think about their actions and the message it sends? Or do they even care?

28dtreep(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Its a shame the legislators couldn't make time for Nitros law. At least to me this is a no brainer and that it should be made a law. Nitro and all the animals that have been neglected and abused will not be forgotten and WE THE PEOPLE will not give up.

29ptgurl13(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

this is ridiculous. as someone that has been making daily calls about HB 108 and never ONCE made a call about the casinos i am angry. what happened to what the people want?

30chance(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm ashamed to say I'm an Ohio resident! I'm also ashamed that I have to call and write everyday to get a "common sense" Law like Nitro's Law on the agenda! I'm also ashamed our representatives don't listen to us speak! Most of all I'm ashamed that these representatives can either ignore or disregard these videos of what happened to Nitro and his kennel mates! How on earth can OHIO REPS meet three times and note vote on this law? It took me one time to see what happened and start fighting for what is RIGHT! 45 other states have already passed this Law! What is wrong with OHIO? Get with it OHIO , do the right thing VOTE YES ON NITRO'S LAW!

31gabbykathi(6 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

i am VERY disappointed in our state legislatures. All the support and 3 huge testimonies from Nitros family and this still hasnt come to a vote and left the criminal justice committee. EMBARRASSING!!! WHAT ARE YOU ALL AFRAID OF? The people are speaking and you are not listening. Must not want to get re-elected very much. So much crime could be stopped and OHIO loses sooo much money from puppy mills, ESPECIALLY from Holmes county!!!!!
IT WOULD BE DIFFERENT IF IT WAS YOUR FAMILY COMPANION OR WORSE ONE OF YOUR CHILDREN BECAUSE THATS WHERE MOST ABUSERS AND MURDERERS START!! No animal should be abused and especially starved to death...No better than the Nazi's that ran the concentration camps and abused and starved and murdered men, women and children.
OHIO NEEDS THIS TOO PASS!!!!!!!!!

32EmmGee(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I support Nitro's Law! I am embarrassed to say that I am from a state that will allow this to happen. No amount of money will bring back Nitro and his kennel mates, it is a shame that money appears to be the only thing that matters to the politicians who are supposed to represent us. We are looking at the bigger picture, not a bigger pocketbook. Rest in Peace Nitro, York, Gillie, Quolla, Ben Puppy, Shadow, Dutch, and Bandit.

33mammenchiro(10 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Politics are complicated. They fascinate me and frustrate me at the same time. I'm saddened by the fact the lawmakers keep postponing the 'language' changes in Nitro's Law. This should have been worked out by now. I don't understand how even a red, farm bureau run state, can not see the simplicity and need in this law. I do know one fact, eventually Ohio will have to step up; no state wants to be the last to follow everyone else. It's embarrassing.

34danaoxford(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree that laws need to be changed/passed to protect these animals and their owners...not the criminals!!! However, I'm so sick of being conservative and/or Christian being synonymous with being backwards and an animal hater!! I am a conservative Christian that adores animals, volunteers at a local shelter and is very PRO-ANIMAL!!! Please don't stereotype or make uninformed assumptions. I don't necessarily believe a pet has to be spoiled the way mine are to be loved and happy...but what I have read and seen in Nitro's story (and unfortunately too many others) is heartbreaking and disgusting!! Why have an animal if you don't want it or even hate it...it takes a very sick and disturbed individual to commit such heinous acts, when one could simply just stay away from these beautiful animals!!! Sometimes I actually cry when I'm with my dog and know how much she is loved and spoiled, when I know the thousands upon thousands that are neglected, abused, tortured, starved, etc every day...WHY?? I want to know why?? I don't even have words for these crimes :-( As a Christian and animal lover, I believe we have dominion over animals, but that also comes with great responsibility to care for them. God created them, and it was GOOD!! My prayer and hope has always been that every animal (and person) that is lonely, abused, neglected and/or forgotten somehow knows that he/she is loved...we may not know them or about them, but all of the compassionate people of the world ache for them and would rescue them if they could. And God loves His creation...we don't have to understand everything that happens to know that. He is just. Justice WILL be served...to each of us. GOD BLESS!!! Keep fighting....GO NITRO!!!

35author50(1121 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Dogs don't make campaign contributions. Ron Gerberry represents Penn Gamming, not the people or their animals of his district.

If you think that any of the state reps even look at their emails, letters, etc they receive from average people, you are mistaken.

They only care about the dollars... always the dollars.

36highlandhouse(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

What do you expect from a Republican administration that only cares about making money from business and doesn't care about the people or animals in the State of Ohio.

37RobertAlphonso(74 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

You people are all morons. Lay off Gerberry - He and Hagan introduced a bill to deal with animal cruelty. http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bi...

If you had ANY clue how the legislative process worked you would know that the Democratic minority cannot force votes on issues. its the republicans who are in power.

Gerberry doesn't answer only to animal lovers, he has other constituents.

You people are dumb and are hurting your own cause.

38JoanneD(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

@ Robert Alphonso - You are entitled to your opinion, but name calling and personal putdowns are inappropriate, immature, and suggest a lack of education about political proces generally, and about the specific legislature to which we are referring, specifically. Before you post an angry comment lacking in substance, please do your homework so that you can offer something useful for others to consider, The people posting on this page have something you appear to be missing....compassion and commitment to a cause they believe in...to something greater than themselves...to something that helps, rather than harms, others. I encourage you to try it sometime...my guess is that your life might be the better for it.

39DebsNY(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Wonderful article, it really gets to the truth about how our Govt feels about what concerns US the citizens. Thanks for keeping this in the news and getting the word out, we need more support from Ohio!

and really Robert no need to name call, we are all adults here.

Keep up the fight!!!!!

40ohioanimallover(18 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

@Robert..HB108 that you posted to make us all look stupid because they already "Introduced a bill to deal with animal cruelty" IS Nitro's Law.

41janaleep(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

@RobertAlphonso..now dont you feel silly. Thank you for pointing out HB108 that was introduced by Gerberry. Most of us who HAVE taken the time and DO have a clue know that the bill you were so quick to point out IS NITROS LAW. Maybe you need to educate yourself first before you spew idocies out of your mouth. This bill should be a no brainer. Animal abuse should never be condoned and by ignoring it, they are in fact condoning it.

42RobertAlphonso(74 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Are you all adults? I don't believe that.

43luvsdogs(69 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Tolerance of violent crimes against animals & misdemeanor penalties only encourage & increase its continuance!

44Deogie(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I am not shocked that a gambling bill would pass so quickly it's all about the money.Never mind that poor helpless animals lost their lives to a monster that still walks among us.A plea deal why? Too much trouble for the elected officials to stand up and do their jobs.This monster will repeat and when he does another slap on the wrist? Nitro's Law should of been a done deal a long time ago.I live in Pa just 18 miles east and he would still be in jail.Please allow Ohio to step up into the year 2011.Ohio the world is watching for you to do the right thing!!!!!!!!!

45PARbigdogs(7 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

@RobertAlphonso ... this "moron" would be happy to provide a long list of Animal Welfare bills that have gone NOWHERE from ALL elected representatives (both Democrat & Republican majorities) dating back to 1996. You'd come across less ignorant if you did your homework before referring to people as dumb' & moronic.

It's people like you that are hurting the cause and NOT the animal advocates.

46Feist(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Robert, as an animal control officer and a humane agent in Ohio, I know for a fact that no such law has been passed. You like to call us morons, yet you post a link to the very BILL we have been speaking about the whole time.

Before insulting, educate yourself. The bill has been nicknamed "Nitro's Law," after one of the many dogs that were cruelly starved to death at High Caliber.

They are doing the same thing they did last year. Letting it DIE.

What irritates me... and you don't see this, because you aren't in my line of work... is having to hand animals back over to their abusive and neglectful owners, because the bill has NOT been passed on to the Senate. Because Ohio's animal cruelty laws are TOO WEAK.

Please... before you go on, come back with something witty, or at least right.

47SallyDog(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I pray that one day I don't need to work so hard for the good cause. I would think that our congressman would have a better understanding that innocent animals die every day at the hands of ignorant people and barely a punishment is handed down due to the lack of tougher laws in Ohio. I keep hearing that the jails are too crowded and they don't want to add to the problem by making animal abuse a felony and incarcerating the abusers. Something needs to be done. I understand that this is an agricultural state, but the torture and mistreatment of any animal shouldn't be tolerated. Think about how hungry you get after a few hours. Think of how hungry and thirsty these dogs at High Caliber must have been for days on end until they finally passed. Enough is enough. Our reps need to stop stalling when it comes to passing this law. They need get this done and move on. If I took this long to do my job, I wouldn't have one.

48sofielovesmommy(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

A little food for thought: It is a well-known fact that nearly all serial killers started with animal torture before moving on to human prey. So passing a law like HB108 could serve to protect animals and, in the long run, possibly people as well.

49hemalisodhi(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I have been following Nitro's case closely from India (and I'd like to mention here that this is a very well known case, and many people around the world are aware of it). We are all waiting to see what Ohio does; its a shame that something like this happens - a tragedy unimaginable in its magnitude - and nothing is done to change the law. Hats off to Nitro's family to try and change this - think about it, theyve lost Nitro and nothing can bring him back - but it requires great courage and conviction to keep at it for three years so no other animal suffers again. Please wake up, Ohio - I cannot think of a single reason why this law shoudnt be passed - can you??? Pass Nitro's Law - we're all waiting.

50rpurple13(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I am embarrased to live in Ohio, we need to get with the times.
"There slowly grew up in me an unshakable conviction that we have no right to inflict suffering and death on another living creature unless there is some unavoidable necessity for it, and that we ought all of us to feel what a horrible thing it is to cause suffering and death out of mere thoughtlessness. And this conviction has influenced me only more and more strongly with time. I have grown more and more certain that at the bottom of our heart we all think this, and that we fail to acknowledge it because we are afraid of being laughed at by other people as sentimentalists, though partly also because we allow our best feelings to get blunted. But I vowed that I would never let my feelings get blunted, and that I would never be afraid of the reproach of sentimentalism."

~Dr. Albert Schweitzer, Recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952

51shelley(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

“Animals do have a voice. If you ignore their suffering, I will remind you of it. If you don't understand them, I will translate. If you don't hear them, I will be their voice. You may silence them but you cannot silence me as long as I live.” ~ Anita Mahdessian

OHIO- you need to get on board with other States that have animal cruelty laws. I think you people should volunteer a couple of days when they gas these animals! Minnesota gets alot of animals from Ohio on rescues. Here is a list: OHIO KILL SHELTER LIST

ADAMS COUNTY DOG POUND (
ASHLAND COUNTY DOG POUND http://www.ashlandcounty.org/animalsh...
ASHTABULA COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
AUGLAIZE COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
BELMONT COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER http://dogshelter.8m.com/
CARROLL COUNTY DOG POUND
CLARK COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
COLUMBIANA COUNTY DOG POUND
COSHOCTON COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER
GUERNSEY COUNTY DOG POUND
HOLMES COUNTY DOG POUND
HUMANE SOCIETY OF THE OHIO VALLEY www.hsov.org
HURON COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.hc-humanesociety.org/
JACKSON COUNTY DOG POUND
KNOX COUNTY DOG POUND http://www.knoxhumanesociety.org/adop...
KNOX COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.knoxhumanesociety.org/
adoptdogs.shtml
LAKE COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
LAWRENCE COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.irontonshelter.org/
LICKING COUNTY DOG POUND
Loraine Co, Ohio
LOGAN COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
LUCAS CO. KENNEL http://www.co.lucas.oh.us/default.asp?
RequestedAlias=DogWarden
MADISON COUNTY DOG POUND http://hsmcohio.com/
MARIETTA HUMANE SOCIETY OHIO VALLEY http://www.hsov.org/
MARION COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
MEDINA COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
MEIGS COUNTY DOG SHELTER
MERCER COUNTY DOG POUND
MIAMI COUNTY ANIMAL SHELTER http://www.dogsaver.org/miamihumane/
Shelter.htm
MIAMI COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.dogsaver.org/miamihumane/
MONROE COUNTY DOG POUND
MONTGOMERY COUNTY ANIMAL RES.
MORROW COUNTY DOG POUND
UNION COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.unioncohumanesociety.org/
WARREN COUNTY HUMANE ASSOCIATION http://www.homelesspets.org/
WAYNE COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
WOOD COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
WYANDOT COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY http://www.wyhumane.org/

52LoveaLee(5 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

We just have to keep standing up to the stupidity of it. No, animals do not vote, nor make money, but babies and children don't either. Does that mean that law makers aren't concerned for their welfare either? I will keep talking, writing, and spreading the word about the sad state of the state of Ohio until they shut me up.

53RachelO(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

My personal beliefs in why this bill keeps getting pushed to the back burners is this - there are influential people (i.e. big campaign contributors) involved in Big Ag and Big Pharma (animal testing) and many of the Big Institutions of Higher Education (animal research and experimentation) who are afraid of having their toes stepped on by the introduction of stronger animal cruelty laws. Otherwise, I believe that this bill would pass easily. Our elected officials know that they would look wonderful in the eyes of their many pet-loving constituents if they passed this bill, so why else would they hesitate to do so? It's got to be pressure from those with the big bucks.

54danaoxford(2 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Once again blaming parties is pointless...stop lumping every Republican (or Democrat) into certain categories! You blame the Republican party for passing laws-isn't it simply the individuals. I could make the same claim that Democrats are killing millions of unborn babies by supporting abortion! But I won't do that because not all Democrats agree with that view. ignorance won't help anything!! Everyone needs to learn how are system works before running their mouths. Emotions/passion will drive us but we need the knowledge to carry it out!! I am a conservative Christian Republican and I SUPPORT NITRO'S LAW!!!

55hydras15(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

"You can tell a lot about a country by how they treat their animals"-Ghandi. This is very true. This is Ohio's chance to take a stand. It's one of the most laid back states in the course of punishment towards animal abusers. Nitro's law must pass so that other animals don't need to feel the same suffering he did.

From Texas, I support you Ohio, and let Nitro rest in peace.

56madman6969(1 comment)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I cant believe Ohio is dragging its feet on this bill. Why is it ok to abuse animals and get away with it? You would let someone hurt a child and get away with it, why is this any different??? To the animal lovers, these are our children and your letting people hurt them without punishment for their actions. shame on you. I guess your not making enough money off of it, is that why or do you just not care about those who cannot defend themselves??

57taxpayer1001(274 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

I hope that our elected officials can see that most people who commented on this article are new to posting on Vindy. That means they felt strongly enough to take the time to create an account just to post here! Remember that when you need their votes!! This is such an important bill but the racetrack gets pushed through with expedience without getting a vote from the community. Maybe that could have happened on this too?? Enjoy your VACATION. I'm sure there are many animals that will enjoy their summer sitting in the hot sun with no water, food or love!

58lbf(124 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Taxpayer,
thank YOU for making such important points!
LbF

59lbf(124 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Chico and The Man.......Dog Death Afternoon

60luvsdogs(69 comments)posted 2 years, 9 months ago

Reprehensible that our family members can be bought, sold, abused, tortured and killed with impunity because of backroom politics and money. Let's get LOUD people! They've waited LONG enough!!

61grkfire(52 comments)posted 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree that this man's actions were horrible. But to even mention this in the same breath as the Holocaust is ridiculous Louie.