corner peel

New Waterford

3 bedroom, 3 bath

7 bedroom, 6 bath

4 bedroom, 5 bath

« Brain food from the heartland

Steely Dan-a VERY Brief Review/Suggestions

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published November 17, 2009

Steely Dan DID,in fact, do the Royal Scam tonight(17Nov) in Akron.

The problem was-it was WE, the audience, that got scammed(disappointed would be WAY understated).

If their tour isn't over and you're planning on going-here's my advice:

To re-create the concert's atmosphere, do the following:

#1) Find a special effects cd w/ a high-pitch feedback  squeal and play it as loud as you can and as long as you can .

#2) Get two coloured spot lights and shine them into your eyes.

#3) Get a couple of  bad ________(edited by Bun-E) back up singers that will sing for a couple of beers.

#4) Play your old vinyl Royal Scam album-even if you've breched(puked) on it-it will sound better than Steely Dan did live.

(oh, and if you were in attendance at the concert and want the REAL effect of paying $90.00 for your ticket-go to an adult "novelty" store , buy the product that Steely Dan named themselves after(from WilliamBurroughs-Naked Lunch) and insert it(backside).

1Tugboat(759 comments)posted 6 years ago

Louie, don't lose that "number." :-)

2Heartland(38 comments)posted 6 years ago

Thanks for the review. It's "Dirty Work" but someone had to do it. You are saying you wouldn't "Do It Again." I guess they're over the hill and "Reelin In the Years" and "Hey Nineteen" they are not. They are "Two Against Nature" and lost. In the end "Everything Must Go." I guess after the show you had the "Deacon Blues." ~ In Solidarity the Elecpencil

3lbf(193 comments)posted 6 years ago

very cool

4apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

Weren't they notoriously a bad live band? Isn't that why they rarely toured? Would you have thought that age made them better?

5saddad(647 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I dont think anyone would have paid any attention to SD if they hadnt hit during one of musics least creative periods.

6lbf(193 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

1) why sad?
2) tell me about "one of musics least creative periods."
this was only the second time i saw them live - the first time was in the early 70's at a club/bar in Atlanta - maybe i just THOUGHT they were good due to other 'circumstances'

7apollo(1227 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree LBF, that was a very creative period of music.

I'm a Steely Dan fan but would never ever fork over real money to see them live as they were notoriously a bad live group. I'm pretty certain even the group admitted such.

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steely_Dan

Pretty certain they became a studio only band in 1975 because of their bad live abilities. Mainly because they used studio musicians almost exclusively.

8khia213(5 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

I've seen Steely Dan in the 80's, the 90's and now, 2009. The early shows were good. In some cases, fantastic. I never found them to be a bad concert... until now. The Akron shows were embarassing. Don Fagen is losing his voice. The band had no edge. The horn section sounded like it was called out from the Local Musicians union. I struggled to stay through the third song. I left in disappointment. I really loved SD back in the day, but the affair is over after the Akron shows.

9saddad(647 comments)posted 5 years, 11 months ago

2) Compare the music of the late 60's and early 70's to that of the late 70's and early 80's. Neither rock or rock and roll had anything going on. (all just opinion and a matter of taste of course) Heck--by the late 80's rock and roll blended into country- a marriage that got listeners enthused again. I think that if one checked the hits from the time when Steely Dan made a few waves they'd find that the competition was pretty weak. I think it was the disco sound.
1) A parent is only as happy as his saddest child.

© 2015 Vindy.com. All rights reserved. A service of The Vindicator.