Poland

5 bedroom, 6 bath
$395000

Poland

Residential
4 bedroom, 7 bath
$949900

« Brain food from the heartland

"...Jim Traficant IS Youngstown"

By Louie b. Free (Contact)

Published July 13, 2009

"...Jim Traficant IS Youngstown" ????

A local BUSINESSMAN recently made these statements  to me :

Louie Free, what you don't get is :

1) " EVERYONE in government here is on the take "

2) " EVERYONE in office  here is corrupt."

3) " Jim Traficant DOES represent the mind-set of this area."

Again-the man who made these statements IS a BUSINESSMAN in the area that many of you know.

As we all know-perception can become "reality". If enough people believe those statements-getting new businesses to come to this area will be nearly impossible-regardless of what some of the area organizations who's JOB it is to lure those businesses, say.

No HONOURABLE business is going to branch into an area that they preceive is "corrupt", with government officials "on the take"-unless they-themselves are corrupt .

On today's show I had a guest from California who writes books about computers, smartphones,the internet, etc.  He had been a guest of mine many(8 or more) years ago. When I emailed him I asked

LbF :" do you remember being on the show with me...?"

author :  "Hi Louie!
> Of course I remember you and the wonderful corrupt world of
> Youngstown, Ohio..."

No, not only does this author rub internet elbows with other business people, he also does stand-up comedy. In other words-speaks to a lot of people---AND HAS THE BELIEF-correct or not-that Y-town's corrupt !

We have a local who's put together a "book" proclaiming and "proving" that convicted ex-congressman Traficant's innocence !

Lest we forget-not only was Traficant convicted on ALL TEN counts in US Federal Court, but was kicked out of United States Congress by his (former) peers. Only one of 435 folks in congress voted NOT to kick Traficant OUT( btw- that ONE was Gary Condit-remember, Condit  was banging a young staffer who was later found murdered). When it came to a vote,Steve Latourette who made speech glorifying Traficant, didnt even vote to keep his "friend" in congress !

Ah, but  some  people of the Valley are planning a Welcome Back Jim parade-a parade showing the nation that we in the valley LOVE our disgraced, corrupt convicts !

You know, maybe that businessman's correct-maybe  Traficant DOES represent  this area- maybe we'll see by the parade turnout.

We CAN change how this area's perceived by others, but WE have to change OURSELVES first .

"It doesnt matter what I say
So long as I sing with inflection
That makes you feel that Ill convey
Some inner truth of vast reflection
But Ive said nothing so far
And I can keep it up for as long as it takes
And it dont matter who you are
If Im doing my job then its your resolve that breaks"

Comments

1Tugboat(759 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

LbW: "We CAN change how this area's perceived by others, but WE have to change OURSELVES first."

Yep. And it begins right at home. At our doorsteps.

XXVII

Perhaps they died of shame
those trains that lost their way?

Do you have room for some thorns?
they asked the rosebush.

- Pablo Neruda

2Viewpoint(89 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

If Jim Traficant "is" Youngstown, then it is apparent that there are far too many people with a very low sense of self esteem. I for one would hope that upon his release, he sells his Poland home and moves far, far away. He has embarrassed the honest people of this valley and should be ignored rather than welcomed home.

3TAXEDOFF(118 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

While you're out there shouting Youngstown. Every weekend at the four seasons fleamarket there is a nut job. selling his book about Jim Traficant and having a Parade for Jimbo. When he returns, what an embarrassment for the this city we will have a parade for a convicted FELON

Watch this U-Tube titled"YOUNGHSTOWN STRIPPERS"
IT'S HAD OVER 24,00 VIEWS

4city_dweller(193 comments)posted 5 years, 1 month ago

I try to understand why so many people love Traficant. Many people I've talked to, particularly older folks, remember him as a very old school congressman who spent more time in his district than in Washington. They remember him out on the picket lines with workers who were on strike. They remember him trying to bring money to the Valley for bridges and buildings. They remember his presence and his plain-spoken manner, his common appearance and his working-class personality.

And for a lot of people, in light of the hundreds of scandals plaguing various politicians, all of that trumps his conviction, especially when they convince themselves that the only difference between Jimbo and the rest of Congress is that he was caught.

But there's a new generation coming to power -- those us us from 25-40 -- who have different priorities and different ways of deciding what's good for Youngstown. And if the Vindy, national media, and various other entities are going to cover some phony parade and other activities of Traficant-lovers, they better point out this is not the majority opinion. I mean, what are the rest of us supposed to do, wear anti-Traficant shirts? Throw a "Go Away" Parade? Most people will do nothing, and it's not fair to allow the idiot with his book speak on behalf of the whole Valley.

5Search4Answers(722 comments)posted 5 years ago

I can hardly believe this myself, but I'd trust Jim Traficant more than Tim Ryan. Atleast Traficant was independent, Tim Ryan's on Pelosi's teat all day. Traficant hates the feds as much as I do, I want him representing me. Atleast you know what you're getting from Traficant and lol let's face it he reminds me of Youngstown. Come on, its kinda funny how people will bring him up like, Traficant's getting out of jail soon.

6cambridge(2984 comments)posted 5 years ago

Traficant does seem to represent the attitude, intelligence and ethics of the valley more than anyone I can think of.

7tookie(64 comments)posted 5 years ago

Traficant made this area a laughing stock and added to our negative image. He stood for no one but himself. He was a greedy egomaniac. This area was blessed when he was convicted. Now the Valley's image is improving, we have young, energetic leaders representing this area and we are reinventing ourselves for our future and that of our children. Traficant is old news and hopefully will just fade away.

8msell716(9 comments)posted 5 years ago

He's a joke and an embarassment to the valley

9Lindalmom(1 comment)posted 4 years, 11 months ago

Old JImbo is why Youngstown, Ohio is a joke! I am a democrat, but I would never ever support this kind of a fool; I think until you clean up this area including the stooges who are now representing us, we're toast