“Our justice system was based on the understanding that if you commit a crime, you do your time, you pay for it,” Soldan said. “I don’t think it’s built in that people just need to suffer indefinitely for it. The more people we can put back to work, the better.”
Could we please apply this to sex offenders too? How can those convicted of a sex crime return to society if they are branded, listed on a website and forced to live in the seedy side of town? They have no choice but to go back to crime.
May 11, 2015 at 3:16 p.m.
I could see this coming from nanny state democrats, but for a republican to be proposing this legislation is disturbing.
May 6, 2015 at 8:09 a.m.
Those tax money paid vs. received stats are misleading. It assumes that all states are equal with the same wealth distribution. But as has already been mentioned, blue states generally have large urban areas, and urban areas are where the wealthy like to live. And the wealthy also pay much more income tax. So yes, Oklahoma with its ranchers and oil workers is not going to pay as much in income tax as Illinois with its Chicago businessmen and wealthy families.
Just one 1%er can out weigh tens of thousands of middle class people when it comes to tax burden. And how many of the elites want to live in "flyover country"?
April 14, 2015 at 8:51 a.m.
So we have one camp that is always complaining that our nation's infrastructure is failing and we don't invest enough in it. Then here is the other camp who complains about construction work.
Nobody will ever be happy.
March 19, 2015 at 10:18 a.m.
With the long history of how well pensions worked in this valley (remember LTV, General Fireproofing etc.) it would be foolish to want to keep a pension fund instead of going to a 401K. Pension funds are out of your control, and just when you are ready to collect the fund could be declared insolvent and the PBGC step in and give you 40 cents on the dollar.
A 401K is directed by you, and as long as Obama doesn't take it away, is your money and will be there for you.
March 19, 2015 at 9:50 a.m.
Its warehouse work for crying out loud! Its not working in a steel mill around molten metal or working on the railroad switching cars in the rain and sleet. Get a grip!
March 18, 2015 at 10:59 a.m.
this article is written as if the "poor downtrodden" workers were being taken advantage of and had no bearing on the closure. The fact is that the workers WANTED the place to close! They voted to close the facility! Tim Ryan said, “I wish things would have turned out differently. My heart goes out to the families that have been hurt by this decision". The hurt is self inflicted!
As to giant eagle creating food deserts. Pleeeezeee!!! GE's customer base is more mid to upper middle class, and the suburbs are where those customers are located at. You want to blame a store for creating a food desert, blame Aldi's for buying up and closing the Bottom Dollar stores. What really is interesting is that the unions didn't like Bottom Dollar either.
It just seems that the unions always act against the best interests of their communities, closing down warehouses and picketing stores that serve the poor.
It just makes me wonder whose good paying job will be lost next due to union influence.
March 18, 2015 at 9:29 a.m.
Its just the same small group of people, using the Universalist church as a front for their subversive activities.
March 5, 2015 at 10:47 p.m.
Hey, you want a good school district, then vote for your own levies. Tax your own community. Getting state money for your school is just taking money away from other school districts.
I really love the people saying that towns would have to pass levies to make up for the shortfall. Yes that is exactly what you should do! That is your school, your kids, YOU pay for them for once! Why do you need the state to be your middleman.
Reality check. If your community cannot or will not fund your own schools, why the heck should other Ohioans step in to pay to run them?
February 25, 2015 at 11:07 p.m.
Ryan does the only thing that comes natural to him, and that is to blame Republicans. Well, why are Republicans obstinate? Maybe because we believed in Obama who said that the Stimulus was going to rebuild our highways and bridges. So they spend $787 billion and only 5% ends up going to infrastructure? Where the heck did the other 95% go? The states should fund their own road repairs, from their own resources. Getting Federal grants to do it is not sustainable, because 40% of that money is borrowed.
February 23, 2015 at 4:49 p.m.