Thank you so very much. I purposely put that FDR was a Republican, knowing full well that he was Democrat, to see if anyone is paying attention. Please don't believe I'm that obtuse to imply that I didn't know his political affiliations. A simple search on any search engine, will bring you +80,000 hits in 2.3 seconds that he was a Democrat.
Be that as it may, this furthers my proposition that many of the programs that are still in effect today, where comprised by Democrats, based on pumping life into a down economy. And these programs worked then in the face of a Depression. Restructured governments in DC may not be the answer. Obama's job creation bill has been (bang bang bang) shot down 3 times but the GOP controlled entities in DC.
The old saying "it takes money, to make money" has to come into play here. College, cost money, opening businesses, cost money, healthcare, and child care, guess what? They cost money! So if we have to spend the money, to create more opportunities, then so be it. Yet the GOP congressmen, and Senators who got fat off their “billionaire boys club” who bankrolled their elections, are squeezing the candidates in their “paid for offices” right now. I mean if the president wants the top 7% (financially) to pay the same percentage as the bulk of the country is paying right now, why is that unacceptable? I say 11.5% flat tax across the board, and give tax breaks where warranted. Which is in the hands of people who are trying to rebuild the economy, not those who purposely take jobs away, Go Korea, China, and Mexico, I guess.
I appreciated the educated response Walter.
November 4, 2011 at 6:06 p.m.
permalink suggest removal
I love this. Ok, Youngstown or the Valley if you will has been down for a while now. “Some” of you people will say humorously, it’s the Democrats fault, more or less, it’s Obama’s fault. He’s only been in office for 3 years. How is it his fault? Did he start the two wars that we as a nation are involved in? or was it he who knowingly and begrudgingly said we were going to go to Iraq and find all these weapons of mass destruction? Oh I remember, he was the president that gave billions of tax cuts to the huge corporations to open plants and factories overseas, because it is cheaper to pay 3 people in Korea $10.00 ($3.33 per) an hour, as versus a young American teen $10.00 an hour. Or wait, was it that other republican guy Reagan R.I.P.
If the color of your skin is still affecting your judgment some 146 years after the Emancipation Proclamation, and 46 years post the abandonment of many Jim Crow laws, then you’re seriously misguided. It’s not only minorities that are suffering, but its white people too. Studies have show that there are more Caucasian people on government assistance that anyone else. Growing up as a child of Youngstown, I paid no attention to race. It didn’t matter what color you were, while eating free lunch at the parks and recreation summer programs. But some of you still dwell on it. Say Reganomics never happened, or better yet, tax breaks were given to big business to maintain if not open more plants in factories in economically strained areas, who does this benefit? Everyone! But you’re a multi-billionaire, who is a product (like most are) of your parents, grandparents, and great-grand parent’s success. Yet you refuse to open factories in the USA, but most of our clothes, shoes, appliances, stereos etc, say “Made in China, Korea, Mexico” yeah that makes a ton of cents. Wait, that’s not accurate either, because many of you who relate to republican agendas, are about $5,000-$10,000 a year close to being in the poverty percentage too. There were that top 7% who benefitted from Reganomics, but the other 93% of us, were “left out in the cold.”
I wish no ill on any man, but say hypothetically an accident happens and you are no longer capable of sustaining employment and can no longer pay your bills? The same assistance you claim is a drain on or society will be the same assistance you’ll seek once your discounted insurance refuses to pay your bills.
Franklin Delano Roosevelt, was a republican. Who initiated many of the governmental assistance programs which are still in use today. Would he be supported for his ideas (New Deal) in today’s society, or crucified at the stake. For him to run this country longer than anyone else has or ever will, shows proof that government programs and the fruit from which is bore, is necessary. Political agendas aside, those who base comments without reliable research are just blowing steam.
November 4, 2011 at 2:26 a.m.
permalink suggest removal