Just to set the record straight, this is not a retired railroad car or a caboose. It is a prefabricated restaurant known as a diner. It was built by the Jerry O'Mahony Dining Car Company of Elizabeth, NJ probably in the late 1930's. It was updated in the late 1940's or early 1950's by the same company when it was brought to Norwich, Connecticut from a previous location. It was combined with an older diner which was used as a kitchen for this one. That is when it received the stainless steel exterior it currently has. It was known as Burt's Diner in Norwich.
February 5, 2009 at 4:47 p.m.
permalink suggest removal