Published: February 13, 2012
Youngstown Diocese Bishop George V. Murry speaks to parishioners of Our Lady of Hungary Church
during its final Mass on Sunday. Construction began on the church in 1929 and was not fully completed
until 1949. The church served as a communal gathering place for the city’s Hungarian immigrants, who
flocked to Youngstown to work in the city’s steel mills. Declining population hastened its closing and
merger with two other Roman Catholic churches in Youngstown.