Missing pet lizard turns up safe after gone for weeks
A Massachusetts woman’s 31/2-foot lizard that went missing in July is home again safe and sound.
Liz Rose says her black and white tegu lizard named Tiggs was found close to her home in a neighbor’s shed Aug. 26, no worse for wear other than being a little skinnier.
The Wilmington woman told The Sun of Lowell the lizard native to South America escaped his outdoor enclosure July 31, and had evaded capture attempts for weeks. She’d even tried to set traps for the 4-year-old Tiggs using chicken and quail eggs.
Rose said she’s relieved her pet is safe, and that she had been losing hope in the weeks with no sign of Tiggs.
Bison escape from Indiana farm, prompting warning
Police warned residents of a northern Indiana community not to approach a herd of bison that escaped from a nearby farm.
The Steuben County Sheriff’s office said the bison escaped Aug. 26 from a fenced-in area at a farm near Pleasant Lake, a village about 30 miles north of Fort Wayne.
Pleasant Lake Buffalo Farm owner Cathy Sanders told WANE-TV 58 bison escaped and began roaming the 300-acre property.
Police in the adjacent town of Hamilton warned residents about the escaped bison, urging them not to approach the animals.
The department said in a Facebook message that the bison are not friendly and should not be approached because “they can become aggressive.”
Shopper shocked by surprise snake on cart
A woman shopping for groceries said she was surprised to find a snake on her shopping cart while picking out produce at a New York supermarket.
Laura Walitsky said she was at Wegmans in Pittsford when her daughter spotted the hitchhiking reptile wrapped on the bottom of her cart. The Rochester Democrat & Chronicle reported that the woman then walked the cart outside and had her daughter tell customer service there was a snake on it.
Walitsky was able to flag down two employees who removed the snake and placed it in a nearby wooded area. A Wegmans spokesperson said in a statement that “this was an isolated incident.”