Covelli Centre to host Rough N’ Rowdy card
The Rough N’ Rowdy boxing contest is set to come to Youngstown’s Covelli Centre on Sunday, Aug. 5.
The contest is open to fighters between 18 and 34 years old and includes five weight classes for men and women.
No professional fighters in any combat sports are permitted. Each fight is boxing/brawling and will consist of three one-minute rounds. The fighters will use 16-ounce gloves and headgear.
Tickets are priced between $25 and $103 will go on sale at 10 a.m. on Friday, June 15 and can be purchased at Covelli Centre’s box office, on ticketmaster.com and by phone at 800-745-3000. The show will be broadcast live via Pay-Per-View by Barstool Sports.
Visit www.boxingcontest.com for more information.
Nadal advances to French Open final
Under pressure at the outset, Rafael Nadal already had cast aside three break points in his French Open semifinal’s third game when, at 4-all, Juan Martin del Potro held another three.
If Nadal’s march toward an 11th championship at Roland Garros was going to be stopped on this day, things were going to have to go del Potro’s way right then. Both men knew that full well.
“That,” del Potro would say later, “was my chance.”
Ah, but there’s a reason Nadal is 11-0 in semifinals at the French Open, a reason he is 10-0 in finals there — so far. He doesn’t cede a thing and he doesn’t let up. Nadal saved that second trio of break points Friday, held there, then broke in the next game to grab that set. It was part of a run in which he claimed 14 of the last 17 games to overwhelm the No. 5-seeded del Potro 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 and earn yet another spot in the title match at Court Philippe Chatrier.
In Sunday’s final, Nadal will face No. 7 Dominic Thiem, a 24-year-old from Austria who is the only man to beat him on red clay over the past two seasons.
“He’s a big favorite against everybody,” said Thiem, who reached his first Grand Slam final by ending the out-of-nowhere run of 72nd-ranked Marco Cecchinato of Italy 7-5, 7-6 (10), 6-1. “Still, I know how to play against him. I have a plan.”
Surely, so did del Potro. That crucial early juncture altered the course of things, though.
Larson seeking win at favorite track
Kyle Larson is still seeking his first victory of the season.
He may have come to the right place.
Michigan International Speedway has been awfully good to Larson of late. He’s won the last three NASCAR Cup Series races there, including two in 2017. He’s ninth in the points standings this year, and although he’s still winless, he has to be considered a threat Sunday.
“I still feel like [Kevin] Harvick, Kyle [Busch] and [Martin] Truex [Jr.] are probably your favorites, but I’m sure I’m a part of that group just based off of our last three races here at Michigan,” Larson said Friday. “Our car has been fast here lately and especially here at Michigan.”
Harvick and Busch have combined to win nine of the 14 Cup races this year. Truex has won twice, including last weekend at Pocono. With those three taking up so many of the victories, there are plenty of top drivers without a win. The 25-year-old Larson has finished second three times, including at Pocono.
Angels star Ohtani out at least 3 weeks
Shohei Ohtani was put on the disabled list by the Los Angeles Angels with a sprained ligament in his pitching elbow Friday, an ominous injury that will be re-evaluated in three weeks and brought the two-way Japanese sensation’s remarkable rookie season to at least a temporary halt.
The Angels said Ohtani’s right ulnar collateral ligament has a Grade 2 sprain, which typically indicates some degree of damage but not a complete tear.