new york jets
Darnold ends holdout, signs rookie deal
florham park, n.j.
The New York Jets signed Sam Darnold to a four-year, $30.25 million deal, ending the rookie quarterback’s contract holdout.
Darnold missed the first three days of training camp practice while his representatives and the team worked out the details of his contract.
The Jets announced the signing Monday on Twitter featuring a short video of Darnold saying he’s happy to be signed and calling it a “very special moment.”
The 21-year-old quarterback was the No. 3 overall pick in the NFL draft in April. He is expected to compete with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater for the Jets’ starting job.
hall of fame
Canton to ‘honor’ Owens with 2018 class
Despite his decision to not attend Saturday’s Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies, Terrell Owens will be “honored” by the hall for his NFL career.
Hall President David Baker tells The Associated Press on Monday that the Canton shrine’s mission statement begins with the goal “to honor the heroes of the game.”
So Owens, who instead will be making an appearance at the University of Chattanooga, where he played college football, will be part of the 2018 class exhibit that includes a glass locker for each new member; their pictures on the light standards of Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium; a role in opening videos shown within the stadium; and mention in any reference to the 2018 class.
Baker said NFL Network and ESPN will show a video of Owens’ career to the audience at home. That video will not be shown in the stadium.
green bay packers
Injuries to Ryan, Brice leave Packers worried
green bay, wis.
The Green Bay Packers suffered injuries to key defensive players during the fourth day of training camp.
Inside linebacker Jake Ryan, one of the team’s top run defenders, was carted off the field late in practice Monday with an apparent right leg injury. Kentrell Brice, a potential starter at safety, was carted off the field during a special teams drill, though the type of injury was unclear.
NFL concussion claims reach $500 million
More than $500 million in claims have been approved under the NFL’s concussion settlement in less than two years, nearly a decade earlier than league officials estimated they would reach that amount.
Claims administrators in the settlement said Monday that $502 million had been approved. The original actuarial estimates from the NFL estimated a little more than $400 million would be paid out in the first decade.
Attorneys for the retired players adjusted their estimates on the total payout of expected claims earlier this month, saying the settlement would likely reach $1.4 billion— almost a half billion more than the NFL originally estimated. Almost 2,000 claims have been filed in less than two years.
Recovering Ross earns cheers after lost year
John Ross got up to top speed, ran past a defender and caught Andy Dalton’s long pass in stride, drawing an ovation from the approximately 950 fans watching the first practice of Bengals camp.
A day later, he made another impressive catch on a deep throw and heard more applause.
Fans haven’t seen any of this since the Bengals made him their first overall pick last year.
The speedy receiver from Washington expected to show his big-play ability during his first season in Cincinnati. Instead, he missed most of camp while recovering from shoulder surgery and wound up playing in only three games.