Robbery suspects arrested, arraigned

By Joe Gorman


A man who died from a gunshot wound early New Year’s morning may have died by accident.

Police Chief Robin Lees said the shooting is being investigated as a homicide but Jose Jaurejui, 33, may have died by accident.

Police were called just before midnight New Year’s Eve to a home on Byron Street, where they found Jaurejui with a gunshot wound. He died about three hours later at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, Lees said.

Lees said there are some indications Jaurejui may have shot himself by accident. He said he suffered the wound about the time people go outside to make noise and celebrate the new year.

Lees said police did take a weapon from the scene.

On New Year’s Day, a pair of men were charged after a robbery on Market Street. Anthony Johnson, 31, and Robert Sellars, 34, were arraigned before Judge Elizabeth Kobly in municipal court Tuesday on two charges each of aggravated robbery.

Reports said the two were arrested about 7:25 p.m. Monday in an SUV Johnson was driving on Parkview Avenue after officer Fred Herdman was watching for it. It was suspected of being involved in a robbery about 7 p.m. at a Family Dollar on Market Street.

Inside the SUV, reports said police found a .40-caliber handgun, cash, and masks and clothing that witnesses said were used in the robbery on Market Street.

Detectives said the two are also suspects in the robbery of an East Midlothian Boulevard Subway restaurant last week.

Lees lauded the work of Herdman for making the stop, saying it was good police work.

Police also arrested two men in separate incidents Monday morning on weapons charges.

A 69-year-old Farrell, Pa., man was arraigned on a misdemeanor charge of using weapons while intoxicated after he was arrested about 3:15 a.m. Monday in the 500 block of Arlington Street.

Officers were called to a home there for a fight with a gun and found Jimmy Robinson, 69, sitting in a car. Reports said he told police he had a gun in the car and officers found a loaded 9mm handgun.

A woman told police Robinson was let into her home by someone who did not know Robinson was her ex-boyfriend, and he wanted to talk to her about their breakup.

He refused to leave and tried to drag her into his car, reports said.

Also inside the car, police found an open bottle of gin.

Laronnie Franklin, 33, was arrested about 12:50 a.m. Monday at a home in the 700 block of Dickson Street after police responded to a call of a fight with a gun. Reports said they saw Franklin fire a gun in the air as they were approaching the house.

Police told Franklin to drop the gun, but instead Franklin ran back in the house and did not come out for several minutes.

When he did come out, police searched the home and found several empty .357 and .22-caliber casings. In the drive officers found a .22-caliber rifle and reports said Franklin had a .380-caliber handgun in his pants.

On the way to the Mahoning County jail reports said Franklin urinated in the cruiser.

More like this from

Subscribe Today

Sign up for our email newsletter to receive daily news.

Want more? Click here to subscribe to either the Print or Digital Editions.