Closing arguments, deliberations loom in Bill Cosby retrial


NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Bill Cosby's sexual assault retrial is set to go to the jury Tuesday, but not before closing arguments pitting the prosecution's portrayal of a serial predator against the defense's contention he's the victim of a "con artist" who made up drugging and molestation allegations to score a big payday.

The defense rested Monday after the 80-year-old comedian said he wouldn't testify, echoing his decision at his first trial, which ended in a hung jury last year.

"You now have all of the evidence," Judge Steven O'Neill told jurors, sending them back to their sequestration hotel after an abbreviated day of testimony. "Try to relax, so that you're on your game tomorrow."

Jurors at Cosby's first trial deliberated for five days without reaching a verdict on three related counts of aggravated indecent assault. Each carries a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

That trial hinged largely on chief accuser Andrea Constand's testimony alleging that the "Cosby Show" star once known as America's Dad knocked her out with three pills and violated her at his suburban Philadelphia mansion in January 2004.

Cosby has said he gave Costand a cold and allergy medicine to help her relax before what he called a consensual sexual encounter.

The current panel of seven men and five women also heard from Constand, but both sides have given them much more to consider.

This time, prosecutors were able to call five additional accusers who testified that Cosby also drugged and violated them

Don't Miss a Story

Sign up for our newsletter to receive daily news directly in your inbox.